2003 X 4.0L 5MT "Build": I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Rev. Rob Large

Supporting Member
I figured I'd start a journal on my TJ, not so much to highlight my ride but to keep a journal to help me remember shtuff.

Hit a perfect storm of boredom and some disposable income, and I had never owned a Jeep before, I dove head-first into the kiddie pool and wound up with a 140k 2003 X 4.0L 5MT. First pic on the day I got it (29 July 2021):
emdbatsl-jpg.jpg

Some bits already on the Jeep when I bought it:
31x10.5R15 Grabber AT2s
Teraflex adjustable front track bar
Teraflex steering stabilizer
Rancho 5000Xs
BesTop TrekTop NX
Smittybilt cargo net
Kenwood single-DIN

As 140k-mile 20-year old vehicles go, some things needed fixing/replacing. A few months after purchase, I noted that it was marking its territory with various fluids. As such, noticing oil marks, the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and rear main seal were replaced. Next was to address the coolant leak coming from the A/C drain. After referring to the Chilton's and seeing how involved the heater core replacement is, I plumbed a bypass and now wear an extra layer of clothes than I usually would for the ambient temperature. I had the Jeep checked out by a local shop and told, by somewhere more versed in Jeeps than myself, that it is in good shape for its age save for the front axle and pinion seals that are slightly weeping, so those will eventually need to be fixed (possibly via gear swap). The next maintenance project will be addressing a P0138 code and replacing the O2 sensors.

Time to mod and upgrade. I'm a lumenphile so, even with the halogen H4 "upgrade" the previous owner did, the headlights NEEDED to be addressed. Previously owning an NA8 Miata, I knew the 7" round headlight market well. As tempting as Morimoto Super7 Bi-LEDs is, I didn't feel they matched the "vibe" of the TJ. Opting for a more economical and understated solution, I pulled the trigger on these 7" LEDs from Amazon. Adequate for now, but entirely in love with the beam pattern. These may eventually go away for, not then available, Holley Retrobrights.

Already ordered and awaiting delivery is a complete ZJ steering upgrade. After that, I might look into freshening up the OE suspension bushings (i.e., control arms, end links) or upgrading with beefier aftermarket bits.

40,000-foot view of plans is to keep the 31s and run them off and maybe a moderate 2"-2.5" lift (can't decide how or with what) before going full Kirk Lazarus with a big lift, regear, and 35s... or not. Time will tell, but for now, this is here.

::List as of 13 February 2021::

Engine:

Brakes:

Drivetrain:

Suspension:

• Rancho 5000X shocks
  • Teraflex front adjustable trackbar
  • Teraflex steering stabilizer

Exterior:
  • BesTop TrekTop NX soft top
  • WHDZ 7" LED headlights (01 September 2021, 141k)

Interior:
  • Kenwood single-DIN
  • Smittybilt cargo net

Wheels and Tires:
  • BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 31x10.5x15 tires (12 February 2022, 141k)
  • General Grabber AT2 31x10.5x15 tires
  • Mamba Off-road MR1X 15x8 +0 wheels (12 February 2022, 141k)

Previous/Removed Parts:
  • OE Bumper "Milk Jugs"

Future Plans:
  • ZJ steering upgrade (have it, just need to put it in)
  • Moderate lift (undecided on which of how)
  • Bumpers (rear with integrated hitch and tire carrier, front with winch plate)
  • World Domination

A67A12E1-58C9-4759-A387-33BA3FC4766A.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks small on you ;).

Should be fun to watch progression and the money flow. You're in the right place from what this noobie can tell.

I like that color. Rosta-ruck!

Reactions: Rev. Rob Large
I'll break out the popcorn and monitor your progress. Hopefully we can get a snow run going, if it ever snows again, lol!

Snow? Never heard of her. Although, I do have a vague recollection of something.. white comes to mind.. falling from the sky.. something..

Probably should get the heater core replaced before going THAT cold.

Snow? Never heard of her. Although, I do have a vague recollection of something.. white comes to mind.. falling from the sky.. something..

Probably should get the heater core replaced before going THAT cold.
Yeah, the heater core is a miserable job. I did it last year. Took me about 7 hours of cussing, bleeding, and yelling!

Got a little parts pile starting to grow for the TJ.

A little while back, scored a set of 15x8 ET0 Mamba MR1Xs that will eventually replace the OEs pictured above. Eventually.

Next, raided RockAuto for all the ZJ steering bits:
Mevotech MES3096L x2
Mevotech MDS1238
Mevotech MDS1312
Mevotech MES2079S x2

Kicked a P0138 so all new oxygen sensors accompanied the steering stuff.

Now I just need to find some free time to put all the stuff on..
giphy.gif

Reactions: L J and D M
Kicked a P0138 so all new oxygen sensors accompanied the steering stuff.

First day in almost a month in which (a) the weather was nice, (b) I wasn't working, (c) the kid was occupied/being watched so I finally was able to take care of this. All in, took about 1.5 hours between wiggling my fat ass under the Jeep and doing vehicular yoga to get arms up in there in a position to apply any kind of torque on the socket wrench. By far the easiest vehicle I've worked on to replace all the oxygen sensors.

Made a discovery that was a little distressing. We've had rain not quite every day, but close, for the last month. As with most Jeeps, mine likes to collect water inside (last BAD storm we had there was nearly, I shit you not, an inch of water in both front foot wells. As garage parking is not an option (as yet), I scoured the forums and decided to purchase a Ultimate Shield cover from CarCovers.com on the recommendation of one of the members here (I think @Chris). We had some hefty storms here in the last few weeks so the cover went on. After a month, pulled the cover off this morning and @#$%^&* pooled water (not much but some) in both front wells. Cover was on per instructions and the edges of the cover were secured and well below any possible penetration point. Emailed CarCovers.com and waiting on a response, but still dismayed.

That said, I'll be investigating this (not sure I want to get into and be trapped in a Jeep with a car cover although there are worse ways to go) and possibly exploring alternatives.

Heard back from CarCovers.com.

Hello Robert,
Thank you for contacting our customer support!
Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Our covers are not waterproof but are water-resistant. Our covers have a unique layer of micro-porous film that creates a water-resistant barrier but allows trapped moisture to evaporate and for the cover to be breathable. This breathable film is key to protect your finish from rust, mold, and other damage caused by trapped moisture. The water-resistant multi-layer material provides great water dispersion, but some water may seep through over time due to the breathable characteristics of the material. No cover can be 100% waterproof without harming your vehicle's finish.

Are Your Covers Waterproof?
This is a common customer question we get, so it deserves some explanation. Some sellers will claim to offer 100% water-resistant or even waterproof car covers to protect against rain or any other sort of precipitation. While this might seem like a benefit and a unique selling point, waterproof car covers can actually cause more damage than they prevent. By clinging tight to the body of the car, waterproof covers prevent moisture from scaping the car. As the moisture builds under the cover, the car becomes the perfect environment for mold, rust or other oxidation. In an ideal scenario, a car has space to breathe, meaning a waterproof cover is not the best way to protect your vehicle. The question then becomes: does a cover need to be 100% waterproof? In most scenarios, we find a breathable cover that is a close fit to your car is a better option. If you’re concerned about this issue, we’ve written about it more extensively here. https://www.carcovers.com/100-percent-waterproof
https://www.carcovers.com/covers/vehicle-covers/waterproof-car-covers.html

If you have questions, please feel free to email us back here or give us a call.

Disappointing, but not unsurprising.

I guess it’ll do for now and just have to add an extra tarp for storms.

Reactions: TWiG01
Looking like I'll be needing new tires sooner rather than later so, as I stomp out the smoldering ashes that was my budget for this build, I am resigned to sticking with 31s and just freshening up the "wear" bits.. which I'm OK with.

To that end, aside from the aforementioned steering upgrade parts, here's what I have on the parts list for a refresh to replace 141k mile/21 year-old parts:
- Front wheel bearing and hub assemblies ~$80
- Upper and lower ball joints ~$92
- Control arms ~$250
- Front wheel u-joints ~$20
- Front driveshaft u-joints ~$25
- Rear driveshaft u-joints ~$16
- Front and rear stabilizer bar bushings ~$21
- Front and rear stabilizer bar links ~$87
- Front and rear track bar bushings ~$25

About $600 to keep me busy for a while and return some civility. Any thoughts from the braintrust on any other wear parts to look into replacing?

Reactions: Irun
About $600 to keep me busy for a while and return some civility. Any thoughts from the braintrust on any other wear parts to look into replacing?
Not a wear part, but what color is your key? There's a real reason I'm asking!

If you're planning to keep the Jeep, I'd be looking to add the factory SKIM. This is the best anti-theft device and will stop thieves from driving off in your Jeep in seconds. To be fair, it won't stop a tow truck, but for everything else you'll have peace of mind!

Did some things.

Added a cargo rack and box for more cargo space. Rack is pretty nice and sturdy, but not sure I buy the “700 pounds static load capacity” and not about to throw a RTT and the whole family up there, but still good for a box and a small basket with things and stuffs. Install was pretty easy and everything just kinda LEGO-ed together. Only hiccup is the rear bumper bolts being welded in place and didn’t quit fit the rear uprights so I’m running bumperless for now until I either a) bust out the rotary tool and MAKE IT FIT or b) find a rear bumper I like (integrated hutch receiver and tire carrier?).

Speaking of tires, the General Grabber AT2s were toast and my son wanted new tires and to (finally) put the Mambas on. AmericasTire price matched Costco’s OTD price on a set of 31” KO2s and saved me almost $300 (paid for the cargo rack). The lower offset wheels solved my tire rubbing issues and give the Jeep a bit more character—more “toy” and less “appliance”. Got everything put on and took them to get dirty at the nearby nature preserve.

Next up, finding time to install the steering upgrade bits, a spare tire cover that fits and a third brake light extender (unanticipated consequence of 31s being a bit taller than than the OE 225/75/15s), a modest lift, and maybe bumpers…?

79C308D3-6E67-4C39-B296-2685A5118A4E.jpeg

AE05DFF5-DFB2-458E-9B2C-DEB8DE711F97.jpeg

FDE4507F-2D80-47B5-9D0A-2892A31583AB.jpeg

8B83FAD8-22F7-4538-A51E-9B551081428B.jpeg