2004-2006 LJ vs LJ Rubicon

Jeepers-n-Creepers

Have mud--will travel.
Supporting Member
Apologies to all, if I'm asking what has already been asked 1000 times or more. I did some thread-searches, to meet with bits and pieces of the info I'm looking for, but not quite the full picture.

I'm considering engaging Search Mode in a few months, for either an LJ or LJR. Presently in Musing Mode (rubbing beard, and looking contemplative).

1575828437391.png

Primary reason for considering transition to longer wheel base: CAMPING :). In simple terms, I'd like to sleep in the cargo bay (with rear seat removed, of course). On a lateral note, I would, in time, like to land a small off-road-able ("tactical") teardrop trailer for camping. But the more immediate goal is that of sleeping in the LJ/LJR.

I've listed below, the specs I've been able to amass as I contrast the LJ vs. LJR. Thank you in advance for adding-to and/or correcting what I've listed below:

LJ

*Dana 30-Front with OD, and Dana 44-Rear with LSD - ?.
*3.73 gear ratio.
*42RLE 4-SPD "slushbox" trans (in '04).
*NSG 370 6-SPD trans ('05 thru '06) - ?.

LJR

*Dana 44-Front and Dana-44 Rear.
*4:10 gear ratio.
*Lockers - Front and Rear (not sure what type - ?).

BTW - just last week I let slip under my nose, a pristine '06 LJR (in my favorite color: Light Khaki Metallic) with 89K miles, 3" quality lift, ARB front and rear bumbers, quality winch, nice LED auxiliary lights, and truly in near-mint condition (dealer was asking $21K). It sold very quickly. I wasn't in Search Mode yet, and couldn't pull the trigger. Oh the agony....:cry:.

1575830291905.png

If you haven’t had lockers , you are in for a treat. . A Rubicon will a eat a regular TJ/LJ alive off road .

if it’s not abused and decent miles you can’t go wrong .

If you do get an LJR make sure the factory lockers work. They dont make all the parts for them, so if they dont work your looking at installing a new locker (arb, e-locker etc.) But with the ljr you will get the 4 to 1 transfer case for low range.

If you do get an LJR make sure the factory lockers work. They dont make all the parts for them, so if they dont work your looking at installing a new locker (arb, e-locker etc.) But with the ljr you will get the 4 to 1 transfer case for low range.
Yep...they absolutely crawl . Wicked in Rocks . Mud ? Not in 4 lo. Hate mud anyway...fun but trashes em.

I would go with an LJ Rubicon due to the factory lockers and the higher resale value. A clean, well kept LJ Rubicon won't lose much value at all, and the lockers IMHO are fantastic to have.

No kid'n, about the LJR holding its value. Truly remarkable. The LJ is not far find, it appears.

If you haven’t had lockers , you are in for a treat. . A Rubicon will a eat a regular TJ/LJ alive off road .

if it’s not abused and decent miles you can’t go wrong .

My latest TJ had Detroit TruTrac LSD's - with 5" lift and 35" KM2's. Aired-down properly, I held my own with few problems in some gnarly terrain and serious climbing. I never did attempt full-on rock climbing (i.e. BIG boulders), however I did once accidentally enter a serious rock climb (maybe a 7 on a 10 scale) with no way out (wrong turn). Surprisingly the LSD's got me through. Observers thought I had full-on lockers.

I yet look forward to experiencing the upgrade to full lockers.

Last edited:

Roger that. If at all possible, if I do test-run an LJR, I'll devise a way to test the lockers--even if I'm in an urban area. I suppose there's a few ways to check that, aside from actually crawling (?).

If you're looking to modify it significantly, I'd look for a non-Rubicon and put the money saved into upgraded gearing/lockers and a 4:1 t-case swap/Rubicrawler/Atlas if desired.

In simple terms, I'd like to sleep in the cargo bay (with rear seat removed, of course).

How tall are you (no offense intended)? I don't know if I could sleep comfortably with the front passenger seat installed.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ and astjp2
How tall are you (no offense intended)? I don't know if I could sleep comfortably with the front passenger seat installed.

When I'm using my Inversion Table on a regular basis, to mend an injured spine, I'm 5'11".

Looking at a friend's LJ about a year ago, with rear seat out, and empty; it appeared I could sleep diagonally with no problem. Could be that my "spacial planning" estimate on the cargo bay is off a tad (?). The friend who owns the LJ sleeps in it, when he camps, and I'm thinking he's about 6' 2".

I sleep on my side, with knees bent, usually, so I'm thinking it's doable (?).

When I'm using my Inversion Table on a regular basis, to mend an injured spine, I'm 5'11".

Looking at a friend's LJ about a year ago, with rear seat out, and empty; it appeared I could sleep diagonally with no problem. Could be that my "spacial planning" estimate on the cargo bay is off a tad (?). The friend who owns the LJ sleeps in it, when he camps, and I'm thinking he's about 6' 2".

I sleep on my side, with knees bent, usually, so I'm thinking it's doable (?).
You will not fit comfortably, get a roof top tent if that is your thing.

Reactions: Jeepers-n-Creepers
I’m 5’9 and have slept in my LJ with the passenger seat slid and tilted forward. I stacked patio cushions in the rear passenger foot well to bring it to the same level and the rear floor and it was comfortable, way better than I expected. I stretched out completely on the passenger side due to having an Engel fridge on the drivers side. The tilted passenger seat made for a great naturally sloped pillow. No issues at all other than actually getting in and out through the passenger door.

You will not fit comfortably, get a roof top tent if that is your thing.

Hmmm, I hadn't considered that. Although, initial thoughts are that I'd be decidedly more vulnerable to Deep State sniper-fire, with but a thin veil of nylon protecting me. Then again, it wouldn't be such a bad way to go, really. I mean, sleeping in a tent, in the elements, on top of a beloved TJ; if I had to go out doing something I loved, why not that way?

I'm thinking my friend with the LJ, camping; likely slid the passenger seat full-forward, and then stuffed, and slept curled-up, diagonally.

I'll begin mulling over the tent options. Thanks for that idea.

I’m 5’9 and have slept in my LJ with the passenger seat slid and tilted forward. I stacked patio cushions in the rear passenger foot well to bring it to the same level and the rear floor and it was comfortable, way better than I expected. I stretched out completely on the passenger side due to having an Engel fridge on the drivers side. The tilted passenger seat made for a great naturally sloped pillow. No issues at all other than actually getting in and out through the passenger door.

That's what I was envisioning. I'm thinking that approach would accommodate my 5'-11" frame. Of course, I would eventually opt for an off-road-able mini-teardrop, and maybe exercise the option of a roof rack mounted tent as well.

One thing

I did something similar in my LJ, I didn't stack cushions though. Slide and tilted the passengers seat forward, filled in the void in the rear footwell with some blankets I had, sat on the floor and leaned back into it. It was kind of like sitting in a recliner except sitting flat. It worked well enough that I took a couple hour nap parked on the beach with the rear gate and window open/off while my wife walked around looking for shells and sharks teeth. The breeze coming off the ocean was nice.

You are in the same camp I am in. I currently have a RTT, but probably won't be throwing it up top. With a 3.5" lift and 33s already, I imagine that extra 180lbs might make it a little too top heavy.

I have been eyeing the small teardrop offroad style trailers and I have to say I am very impressed with what they have done with them (nuCamp especially). Granted they do like them a lot ($$$) compared to a traditional RV. But for me, I like the idea of being able to drop the trailer and head out for an adventure. As I get older I also like the idea of having a nice interior space to get out of the elements. Not to mention being able to lock extra stuff up in the trailer.

I am 6'0" and I don't know if I would fit comfortably in the back of my LJ, but I also haven't tried it yet.