2004 LJ automatic seems to have emergency brake engaged

Hog

Know it all...according to wife
Supporting Member
I usually try to figure it out but I thought I’d ask and hope for some direction.

My wife’s LJ when she starts and usually put in reverse, won’t start rolling like the E-brake is still on. It’s been doing for a week or so.. I just went and replaces all pads even though they were in pretty good shape.. I haven’t checked ebrake pads yet as I had my son do the rear brakes today.

Once u kinda hit the gas and press the brake again, it’s almost like the brake was released and it starts the idle roll again..
any suggestions?

Found a wheel seal leak so gunna fix that and see if that fixes it

Still no luck.. just got back from mechanic.. he said disc had some buildup and thought it may have been catching the pads causing it to not wanna roll... it’s as if the emergency brake is on when you take off? Anyone?

That seems like it's your e-brake pads that are stuck (maybe worn out) and need adjusting as well.

You might have some shit in the calipers? Have you tried a flush?

Reactions: Hog
That seems like it's your e-brake pads that are stuck (maybe worn out) and need adjusting as well.
They checked it and I checked one side personally ... if theres “possibly” nothing else it could be I can sort thru this but I was hoping there isn’t something with tranny or axles or something more then just the brakes.

You might have some shit in the calipers? Have you tried a flush?
No.. I replaced one “Ify” caliper on front but it didn’t do anything.. I think I may just have to do a flush and possibly get new calibers?

I think your right.. my wife keeps saying it’s cause I used the overdrive button in the mountains a few weeks ago and it happened after that?.. I don’t see the connnection but I have to entertain her thoughts...

If you're certain that the E brake shoes are adjusted correctly I'd flush out the brake system & see where you're at.

Reactions: Chris and Hog
I think your right.. my wife keeps saying it’s cause I used the overdrive button in the mountains a few weeks ago and it happened after that?.. I don’t see the connnection but I have to entertain her thoughts...
That makes zero sense. Don't tell her I said that.

• Haha

I don't see any connection there at all either.

Dude I'd start with a full flush. Get all that old brake fluid out of there & whatever else is in the brake lines, then make sure the pistons on the calipers collapse nice & smooth.

Dude I'd start with a full flush. Get all that old brake fluid out of there & whatever else is in the brake lines, then make sure the pistons on the calipers collapse nice & smooth.
I will.. thanks for the help👍🏻

Reactions: qslim