2005 4.0L won't start

RonT

This morning the Jeep would not idle at a stop light and would shut down. Info I found on YouTube for that symptom indicated a faulty Idle Air Control Valve. I picked up a valve and limped on back home having to restart the motor several times . I changed the valve and cleaned the Throttle Body, put it back together and now it won't start at all . It turns over fine but won't kick in . Any thoughts would be appreciate.

A bad IAC can be bypassed by stepping on the gas pedal a little while starting the engine though I doubt a bad or dirty IAC is your problem unless it starts and idles ok so long as the gas pedal is held down a little. Is there a Check Engine light?

Thanks Jerry. Yes I have CEL on. I was able to keep it running this morning if I gave it a little extra gas. But tonight I had to keep it at about 3K RPM to keep it going down the road. This issue started quite suddenly .

No, the battery is not a year old. However, I did disconnect the battery to replace the starter because it wouldn't start and found a loose wire. It would make a funny noise and act like it was misfiring then that would clear up. That happened a few time this past week.

It sounds like you may have a short in the wiring somewhere possibly.

Yes I have CEL on.

Which code(s) are you getting?

If you cycle the ignition from off to on three times without starting the engine, any stored codes will appear in the odometer display.

These are the codes I found. They all somehow seem to be associate with the Cam Position Sensor, which I replaced last year.

P0016, 0108, 0123, 0335, 0339, 0340, 0344, 0508, 2074

I'll have to address these one at a time and see what happens. I'm wondering if I just disconnect the battery to clear the code, what would happen.

Do you know of a website listing the codes with possible fixes?

P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation
P0108 - MAP Pressure Circuit High Input
P0123 - Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input
P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
P0339 - Crankshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Intermittent
P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent
P0508 - Idle Air Control Circuit Low
P2074 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Mass Air Flow - Throttle Position Correlation at Higher Load

Have you done any work or replaced any other parts or sensors recently?

P0016 will come up if the OPDA is not properly clocked. P0340 and P0344 are most often associated with using any Camshaft Position Sensor other than the one supplied at the factory.

Yes, I replaced the Idle Air Control Valve today and dismantled the Throttle Body to clean it.
The cam position sensor I replaced last year was not OEM.

Did you happen to turn the ignition to the ON position after unplugging the sensors connected to the throttle body?

Reactions: MangoTango
No I did not. Unplugged, replaced and cleaned, reconnected and tried to start. No luck . Did I do this wrong?

No I did not. Unplugged, replaced and cleaned, reconnected and tried to start. No luck . Did I do this wrong?

These TPS and MAP codes will appear if the sensors are unplugged with the ignition in the ON/RUN position. I suspect P0016 and/or P0340 are what stalled the engine and created the crank no start condition.

To begin, I would make sure that G105 (the bolt on the passenger side of the engine where the oil dipstick tube connects) is clean.

For P0016 you'll need to re-clock the OPDA. You may need to move it just slightly one way or the other. With non-OE camshaft position sensors, they all seem to work initially both don't last long.Since you now have a crank no start condition, the Camshaft Position Sensor is probably no longer functional and needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
Do you think disconnecting the battery to clear the codes will wipe the slate clean?

It may resolve the TPS, MAP and IAC codes but not the Camshaft and Crankshaft sensor codes.

I'll have to give a try disonnecting the battery to clear some codes. The CEL has disappeared on it's own before. Just getting the Jeep running will be a big relief.
What ever happened to the day when all you had to worry about was the gap on the points and plugs. You may be old enough to remember those days!
Thanks for your input. I'll let you know how it turns out.