2005 LJR for sale - $8400

When posting a used car ad you're asking for fellow members to scrutinize it. Because that's what used cars require - "scrutiny". Don't get upset when we do so. We aren't doing it to be dicks to you. We're doing it to protect you. And you should be doing it to protect yourself.

If you're not scrutinizing a used car. You're missing the point. Because if you don't scrutinize a used car your likely to end up very sorry.

Maybe $8400 is a normal price in you're area for an LJ. But it is not anywhere else in the US. Which is highly suspect. It's hard to find a decent 2.5L TJ for $8400 in my area. Jeeps in general are one of the few vehicles that normally sell for well above bluebook.

Maybe if the guy listed more than an 8 word description I might be inclined to think he's "just a nice guy trying to pass on a good deal". But that coupled with several red flags leads several of us to believe otherwise.

We also suggested several things anyone should do that might be still considering it. Which is constructive.

He may very well be just a kid that doesn't know how to sell a car. But the ad does not come off as someone being straight forward or honest.

If you were honest the first thing you would do is address the Rubicon sticker across the hood. He says nothing about that. Which says he's fine with anyone believing they are buying a Rubicon. When in fact they aren't.

The undercarriage has been painted. Which alone doesn't mean it has frame rot. But if there were no rust. There would be no need to spray paint it. That coupled with the fact that he's forthcoming with so little info about his vehicle - is an additional red flag.

But with only 8 words in his ad. You have to cut to the chase. And not waste your time. On what is most likely not what you're looking for - problems. Ask for a vin. Because a $30 Carfax separates the used vehicles worthy of further consideration and those that aren't.

Some of us have had enough experience evaluating used cars to know what to look for. And what to avoid. I live in a huge metropolitan area. So I have had the luxury of considering literally hundreds of vehicles.

All were trying to do is share that experience to help you. And no one is saying flat out not to buy it. Just what red flags we see. And possible solutions to clear those up.

I totally get it. I'm not looking to buy it. I am happy with what I have.

I didn't take any of it personally.. I am simply surprised that no-one simply took it for what it is. A rather clean LJ. There's no doubt it isn't a Rubicon. An $8400 LJ is a wicked good deal around here.

I message him with no response
He responded a second time with little more. Never answered my questions as to whether it had a Dana 35 or Dana 44 out back. What he did say was that he is no stranger to Jeeps. Share a few pictures of another TJ that, to be candid, was well put together, and said something stupid about the one for sale. He knows what he has.

Carry on folks. This post is has gone dry.

Last edited:
I totally get it. I'm not looking to buy it. I am happy with what I have.

I didn't take any of it personally.. I am simply surprised that no-one simply took it for what it is. A rather clean LJ. There's no doubt it isn't a Rubicon. An $8400 LJ is a wicked good deal around here.

He responded a second time with little more. Never answered my questions as to whether it had a Dana 35 or Dana 44 out back. What he did say was that he is no stranger to Jeeps. Share a few pictures of another TJ that, to be candid, was well put together, and said something stupid about the one for sale. He knows what he has.

Carry on folks. This post is has gone dry.
Dude. Seriously? Lmao!!

First you say:

"I am simply surprised that no-one simply took it for what it is. A rather clean LJ. There's no doubt it isn't a Rubicon. An $8400 LJ is a wicked good deal around here."

And then you say:

"He responded a second time with little more. Never answered my questions as to whether it had a Dana 35 or Dana 44 out back."

And you still think it's a "rather clean LJ." ?!

(That's the second time you've said that too.)

The guy posts an 8 word ad. With a misleading Rubicon sticker. Won't even answer the simplest questions about his Jeep. Claims he "knows his Jeeps!". And you're still considering it a "clean" vehicle?!

How many red flags does there need to be before you stop considering something "clean"?

And after so many red flags why would anyone consider buying this? As you suggest?

You're killing me, dude! Lmao! 🤣😭🤣😭🤣😭

You all could be right... I don't know the seller...

Everyone is pontificating about what it MIGHT be. I just messaged the guy for pics of the frame and axles. Sent nine pics. Frame is actually really nice. No pics of the rear Dif, but....

View attachment 487589

Might have a Dana 35 in the rear. Sent a follow-up question regarding whether he swapped the hood on or added Rubi decals. Let's see if he responds.

Now, with that said.. it's a pretty clean LJ regardless, especially considering it is a NE vehicle. Remove the hood decal and move on.

Did he give you his number? Any chance you can send the rest of the photos?, my cell is 516-578-2117. I am looking for a project LJ and this is down the block from me. The seller answered me but hasn't given me an address or anything to come look at it, and no other photos.

Did he give you his number? Any chance you can send the rest of the photos?, my cell is 516-578-2117. I am looking for a project LJ and this is down the block from me. The seller answered me but hasn't given me an address or anything to come look at it, and no other photos.
I'll check.. give me a little bit

For everyone saying it was a scam. The guy barely spoke English that’s why he wasn’t texting anyone. Gave him my cell and went and looked at it. I bought it for 7500 both hard and soft top. Drove pretty good lift only has 1500 miles on it. It’s not a rubicon and has a clean title. No major issues some normal rust that I will be addressing. Perfect winter beater scored for a great price!!!

IMG_5482.jpeg

IMG_5485.jpeg

200.gif

Two pages of yammering on. What a waste of band-width.
@Ace14 is no stranger to Jeeps and as it turns out, for his intended use
Go figure.

Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cliffish
Nice Ace, you might have scored BIG...let us know everything, with pics. We Long Islanders like to win some when we can.

Once I dig into her I’ll document it. In general though she looks good enough. Guy loved LEDs and stickers lmao.

The belly pan definitely needs to be removed properly and cleaned and painted before it gets worse but it’s still solid. I’ll go through her and get her right, drive it for a few years as a daily to the train and then move on probably. Figured I won’t loose much money on it.
IMG_5483.jpeg

IMG_5484.jpeg

IMG_5465.jpeg