2005 Rubicon Steering Woes

Chrisman2552

Hey all,

I have a new to me 2005 LJ Rubicon with 70,000km. Shes been used (and apparently abused) in her previous life (dented skid plate, exhaust, etc.). Its completely stock other than a new set of 265/75/16s and an alignment it got 2 weeks ago to replace its original 17 year old MTRs it came with. It has essentially sat for the last 10ish years, its had just over 1000km put on it since 2014.

Im currently in the middle of some steering issues. It will track straight down a road that is perfectly flat. However, if I need to turn while going around a corner, for the first 1-2 inches of steering wheel play it will turn slightly/slowly, then at a certain (and consistent point) the jeep feels like it veers hard to the side you are steering to. It happens when turning to either side, but it is definitely worse when turning left. It feels dangerous driving on most roads around here, as any turn that is being made while driving over a bump (we have terrible roads here) can result in the vehicle aggressively turning in the direction of the steer, possibly over the yellow line or onto the shoulder depending on the direction you're headed.

I've replaced the front track bar (Crown), both TREs (Mopar), the pitman arm side drag link end (Mopar), both front calipers and rubber brake lines, and the rear driver caliper. All OEM style parts

Ball joints are original, and while crusty they have no play at all. The Same goes for the hubs. The front axle ujoints feel a little loose but no excessive play.

There is an audible clunk when turning the wheel back and forth, and it can be felt when grabbing the Drag link/tie rod/steering shaft. This clunk is absent on my 2003 Sahara, and I suspect that this clunk it is the cause of my steering issues. The issue is that I'm not sure where this clunk could be coming from. All of the joints look tight, including the steering shaft. I'm suspecting the steering box itself may be the issue, but the vehicle only has 70,000km (whereas my sahara has 200k on its original steering box with no issues). Has anyone had similar issues/symptoms caused by a worn steering box?

Could be the steering box, but I would check the easier sources first....
Take a look at the power steering fluid; IF the fluid is the original fluid and has been sitting for many many years; the fluid could be contaminated with moisture.
Suggest you flush the power steering system a couple times and see if the problem remains or disappears.

Reactions: tr21triton
like Charles said could be the steering box. another thing to look at would be the front axle u-joints. had a buddy that bought a older f-250 that would go straight but as soon as you tried to turn it, it wouldn't turn. we pulled the axle shafts and literally could not get the u-joints to move and rust dust came out of the caps. changed them and you could steer it with 1 finger and no binding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
You mentioned everything looks tight, so I'm assuming you did a dry steering test? Also, when you replaced parts did you inspect the holes for wallowing, then torque everything to the proper specifications? I'm just asking, so the basics are covered first.

Given this one was abused, and you don't know what was done to it, in addition to what @CharlesHS said, I'd check the pitman arm for excessive movement and verify the box itself is properly torqued to the frame. The latter isn't likely, but I have seen them loose.

Thanks all for the input. I’ve no idea if the ps fluid is original or not, but it was low when I bought it. I’ll look into a fluid flush.

I’ve performed several dry steering tests and have had several different people look under it. No one (including myself) noticed any play in any of the joints. All bolt holes looked good. I don’t think any of the front steering/ suspension has been touched by the PO, as no bolts in the front have any anti seize, and the shop PO brought it to seems to have used anti seize on all bolts they removed. The bolts that have anti seize on them match up with service history listed on its carfax.

I’ve removed the passenger side axle shaft and the Ujoint moved freely. I’ve yet to be able to check the drivers side due to my work schedule (thanks Parks Canada).

I’ve checked the torque on the box to frame bolts, it wasn’t loose. I’ve gone over the pitman arm aswell. No movement visible.

Sigh, This LJR would be my dream vehicle if I could sort out this damned steering!! The frame and tub on it is in miraculous shape for a Canadian TJ.

Another update,

Finally got around to removing the drivers hub. It was in fact shot. Plenty of play in it. Parts stores are closed today so I’m going to steal a hub off of my Sahara to see if this fixes the steering, and I’ll order another one tomorrow.

Reactions: voodooridr
Just ordered one that new timken hub. Thanks

I removed most of the ps fluid from the reservoir and added new atf. Power steering pump seems to be quieter. The old fluid was certainly a darker shade of red compared to the new atf & original (?) fluid in my Sahara.

I also swapped hubs over. The steering seems* to be a little bit better, but primarily veers to the right now instead of the left (sigh). I’m not sure if it’s a placebo or if anything has actually changed. I can still feel the clunk in the steering wheel.

Just ordered one that new timken hub. Thanks

I removed most of the ps fluid from the reservoir and added new atf. Power steering pump seems to be quieter. The old fluid was certainly a darker shade of red compared to the new atf & original (?) fluid in my Sahara.

I also swapped hubs over. The steering seems* to be a little bit better, but primarily veers to the right now instead of the left (sigh). I’m not sure if it’s a placebo or if anything has actually changed. I can still feel the clunk in the steering wheel.

Have you inspected the coupling joint in the steering column shaft ?
The coupling has been known to loosen or wear out.
IF you determine the coupling is wearing out; there is a universal steering joint manufactured by Flaming River sold by Summit Racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...laming-river&gclid=CMyCxK6J8c8CFUxsfgodx9cMEQ