2005 TJ Rubicon Question

Baldy91

Hi all. I know this has been discussed and I have done some research. I have the chance to buy a 2005 TJ Rubicon, auto, with low miles. No rust, sounds and looks to be in really good shape.

I've really wanted a 98-99 or 2003 TJ manual, but this is the Rubicon model and is super clean with under 60k miles. I don't think I'll find a better deal than this. It's an auto, which is less preferable, and has the dreaded risk for OPDA and PCM issues.

I don't plan to modify at this time, but use for a 3 mile commute intermittently, run up to the mountains, and do lighter trails and forest service roads. I would likely just get a PCM from Mark at wranglerfix and do the crown OPDA. Likely a Derale cooler and maybe a deeper pan.

Would I hate the auto if I have been wanting a manual? I've had the ax15 and NV3550 and prefer the ax15, but haven't driven the 42rle. With my intended uses though, the auto may still be fine and is easy to drive, as well as better trail control.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Reactions: John Cooper
Hi all. I know this has been discussed and I have done some research. I have the chance to buy a 2005 TJ Rubicon, auto, with low miles. No rust, sounds and looks to be in really good shape.

I've really wanted a 98-99 or 2003 TJ manual, but this is the Rubicon model and is super clean with under 60k miles. I don't think I'll find a better deal than this. It's an auto, which is less preferable, and has the dreaded risk for OPDA and PCM issues.

I don't plan to modify at this time, but use for a 3 mile commute intermittently, run up to the mountains, and do lighter trails and forest service roads. I would likely just get a PCM from Mark at wranglerfix and do the crown OPDA. Likely a Derale cooler and maybe a deeper pan.

Would I hate the auto if I have been wanting a manual? I've had the ax15 and NV3550 and prefer the ax15, but haven't driven the 42rle. With my intended uses though, the auto may still be fine and is easy to drive, as well as better trail control.

Thoughts? Thanks!
If you plan to do tougher trails, especially on the rocks that are all over your state, you'll NEVER regret going for an automatic whether it's the older 32RH or newer 42RLE. It's the better choice for the toughest trails.

I converted my previous TJ from its OE 5-speed manual for a the 32RH for rock crawling purposes and after that TJ was stolen I bought one with the 42RLE automatic which I've been extremely happy with since buying. Just know that the axles need to be geared significantly lower for bigger tires than your 5-speed transmission did. Like for 33's you'd want nothing less than 4.88 with 5.13 being better. For 35's you'd definitely want 5.38 which is what I regeared my '04 Rubicon to for my 35's. It came with 4.88 gearing which absolutely sucked on the highway and gave me crappy 11 mpg. Regearing to 5.38 not only boosted its mpg up to 5.38 due to the engine no longer lugging but also made it far nicer on the highway.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I think the OPDA maybe an issue but I don’t think it is as big as everyone makes it out to be. I know a few others besides my that have Rubicons and nome have had any of these issue

If you plan to do tougher trails, especially on the rocks that are all over your state, you'll NEVER regret going for an automatic whether it's the older 32RH or newer 42RLE. It's the better choice for the toughest trails.

I converted my previous TJ from its OE 5-speed manual for a the 32RH for rock crawling purposes and after that TJ was stolen I bought one with the 42RLE automatic which I've been extremely happy with since buying. Just know that the axles need to be geared significantly lower for bigger tires than your 5-speed transmission did. Like for 33's you'd want nothing less than 4.88 with 5.13 being better. For 35's you'd definitely want 5.38 which is what I regeared my '04 Rubicon to for my 35's. It came with 4.88 gearing which absolutely sucked on the highway and gave me crappy 11 mpg. Regearing to 5.38 not only boosted its mpg up to 5.38 due to the engine no longer lugging but also made it far nicer on the highway.

Thank you, Jerry. I don't know that I'll be big into crawling. I think manuals are typically just more fun to drive and are more reliable. But the Rubicon carries some pretty nice extras, so even in stockish form I think I can suck it up and be okay with the auto. Sounds like adding a cooler and running Mark's PCM would be good insurance to make sure it stays cool and provides better longevity.

Reactions: John Cooper
I have 2 Rubicon automatics. Only because my wife won’t let me have three.

Your description sounds like a jeep that is desirable and valuable and if the price is good, you probably won’t go wrong.

I have owned a manual Rubicon and enjoyed it, but at the end of the day the automatic makes more torque and is less fussy to drive…. It’s hard to fiddle with the radio or do anything while you’re changing gears.

There is another side to the manual. It does give you feeling that you are engaged and you’re doing something and you are -you’re doing what an automatic transmission will do for you.

I have 2 Rubicon automatics. Only because my wife won’t let me have three.

Your description sounds like a jeep that is desirable and valuable and if the price is good, you probably won’t go wrong.

I have owned a manual Rubicon and enjoyed it, but at the end of the day the automatic makes more torque and is less fussy to drive…. It’s hard to fiddle with the radio or do anything while you’re changing gears.

There is another side to the manual. It does give you feeling that you are engaged and you’re doing something and you are -you’re doing what an automatic transmission will do for you.

Good to know. What years and how many miles? Any transmission issues or quirks you've had?

Good to know. What years and how many miles? Any transmission issues or quirks you've had?

04 88,000

05 54,000

The plastic clip where the linkage connects at the transmission fails- a bolt , 2 washers and nyloc nut is The Fix -

The overdrive is designed around stock tires, plan to regear if you run 33” or larger tires

Mine are both regeared.

Servicing the transmission - a new filter - prevents clogging and overheating.

It’s a dependable transmission - not as perfectly mated to the 4.0 as the ol’ 32 non overdrive 3 speed auto but we have a lot of the 42 on here getting the job done.

I can’t really comment on the automatic aspect. I have LJR and JKUR each a 6sp manual and love them. My YJ was a manual too. If it is on good shape I don’t think you can wrong with it though.

I have an 05 TJRU 113K with the manual. I love it. OPDA issue is over blown IMO. If mine goes south I’ll just fix it no big deal. I’d have a stick in all my vehicles if I could. It’s just personal preference, skill level and driving style. I do want to put on a hand throttle one of these days. I’ll wait until I’m up to speed before I change the radio although I usually don’t have it on.