2005 unlimited extended body

are you talking about what many have nick named the LJ ?

Sure sounds like it. The TJ variant of the Unlimited known as the LJ (2004-2006).

Advantages: More interior storage, higher towing capacity, longer wheelbase which is an advantage when wheeling (if setup properly).

If I could do it over I would have held out for an LJ (and in a dream world a Rubicon LJ ;) ).

These are pretty sought after due to the above reasons and their limited manufacture run makes them somewhat scarce.

When I bought my 2005 TJ new, my friend bought a 2006 extended. Black, soft top, full doors, upgraded tires & wheels. Had every option. I paid $16k he paid $28k. The extra room was in cargo area. I was jealous as it was a great jeep, but I would not spend the extra $12k. IMO- Jeep should have produced a lot more of these as a cheaper option.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I just got a new to me TJ Unlimited. I like having the extra storage capacity inside. I wanted it mainly for hunting season. Gun cases fit better. Although it was handy last week when I was able to fit 15 bags of mulch from Home Depot in the back, by just tumbling the rear seat forward. I have owned 2 YJ's and an TJ Rubicon before and I appreciate the little extra space.

Reactions: Michael Buenconsejo
You're talking about the TJ Unlimited (or sometimes referred to as the "LJ"). It was produced from 2004-2006, and has a slightly longer wheelbase than the standard TJ. They tend to sell for a bit more as well, since they're not as common.

whats the difference between unlimited and Rubicon

The "Rubicon" was a package on the jeep that included Dana 44 front/rear axles with lockers, a beefier NP241 transfer case with a 4:1 lower ratio, and a fancy "Rubicon" decal on the side of the hood. The "Rubicon" package was offered in the TJ Unlimited as well. Did I miss anything?

The "Rubicon" was a package on the jeep that included Dana 44 front/rear axles with lockers, a beefier NP241 transfer case with a 4:1 lower ratio, and a fancy "Rubicon" decal on the side of the hood. The "Rubicon" package was offered in the TJ Unlimited as well. Did I miss anything?
Not that I can think of, other than the fact that an LJ Rubicon makes your wallet shrink and your ego swell sometimes.

theLJ or the Rubihara?
LJ Rubicon Sahara. Rarest of the rare. They came with a production number plaque on the dash.

sahara01_1280.jpg

Reactions: Kyle_W
the only negative of an LJ vs TJ is Jeep no longer makes any of the LJ specific parts.

the big advantage, the LJ is rated to tow 3500#, the TJ 2000#

Jeep made 909,000 TJs, only 55,000 LJs

The LJ wheelbase was 10" longer and the rear overhang 6" more. Both of those are disadvantages in forests and boulders. But more space if you shop with it and a smoother freeway ride too.

Last edited:
Another nice feature of the Unlimited / LJ is the sunrider soft top. I could be wrong but I think it's unique to the LJ. Apart from after market tops I've never seen one on a TJ. I use mine often. It's great on a cold but sunny day.

Another nice feature of the Unlimited / LJ is the sunrider soft top. I could be wrong but I think it's unique to the LJ. Apart from after market tops I've never seen one on a TJ. I use mine often. It's great on a cold but sunny day.
I also believed the sun rider is an LJ unique feature too.
Beside the after market tops that offer this option is a guy who design a kit to convert your regular top to a Flip your top. I quite expensive, I think he lower the price thought.
Other option is Stu Olson website. His friend Dave have a write up on what he does on his TJ, a good write up BTW, cool and cheaper that Fliping your top for sure.

Reactions: PCO6