2006 4.0 belt tensioner dilemma

GS2006

Ran into an interesting problem while attempting to replace the belt tensioner on my 2006 Wrangler X with the in-line 6 cylinder. The part everyone wants to sell me doesn't fit with my alternator bracket. The part has two locator pins on the back and a larger hole for the screw than what is currently on the vehicle. Mine has two rectangular holes in the tensioner where corresponding nubs on the alternator lock into and a smaller hole for the torx screw.

Since it was the last year for the in-line 6 and I purchased it in December of 2006, I was wondering if the factory using up the parts they had on hand to avoid ordering more. Pictures for the tensioner for a 1995 6 cylinder look very similar to the one I have on my engine. Would this be a common practice?

Anyone have any ideas except to swap out the alternator bracket? I don't know that I could accurately drill holes for the pins on the new tensioner in the bracket with no reference point.

IMG_9131.jpgIMG_9132.jpg

My 2004 has the pins. I didn't replace the tensioner, just the wheel/bearing. You should be able to do the same.

Thanks for the feedback. Tensioner is frozen so I’m scouring junk yards for the right alternator bracket since I can’t find an older tensioner.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
The tensioner itself is frozen? Have you tried spraying some penetrating oil in it?

Can you share a photo of the bracket?

Thanks for the feedback. Tensioner is frozen so I’m scouring junk yards for the right alternator bracket since I can’t find an older tensioner.
I do the existing tensioner soaking, but after driving the local Jeep parts department crazy I think I understand what happened. Here’s a copy of the bracket and closeup of the tensioner. I’m sure it will take some of you much less time to figure out what happened than it took me.
B2AF051B-ED94-41D2-95DC-F967657E95E2.jpeg
9531062B-E5B6-43A5-92DE-56411DEF1C5E.jpeg

Pins broke off in the bracket, that sucks.

I used to live in the rust belt, so I can relate. Have you inspected your frame and skid plate screws, etc?

We have a winner! After inspecting the tensioner pick under magnification I realize it wasn’t machined or cast that way. I will try an ez-out and lots of penetrating oil and see if I can clear the holes.

Frame is still good, but I’m planning on replacing the skid plate.

Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out. Not my first vehicle, but the first time I’ve ever seen that!

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Just to close this out, I ended up with drill press and Dremel tool to clean out the old pins without enlarging the holes. Cleaned up the bracket and installed tensioner, idler, belt and new alternator. Lots more to do, but it’s a start.

Thanks everyone for your help.
C2C5DF03-BBCD-43A5-AFF1-CAFDD6A22D39.jpeg
C13FD416-9C4F-47C6-964D-DDEB93EB2DED.jpeg