2006 LJ cranks but guages don't work and cel is on but code reader won't connect..

Robmacdaddy

Was driving yesterday in a lot of heavy rain. Ran thru standing water and shortly afterwards the guages , all,speedo,tach,fuel,temp, volts all went dead, jeep still running.. accelerated to merge and engine missed pretty hard. I pulled over and it was running like normal. I shut it down to try and pull the codes and all I got was a no link.. then it wouldn't start. After an hour of contemplating life and having the battery unhooked I tried it and it fired right up.. still no guages but no cel.. I proceeded to drive the 5miles back home and the cel popped on. Im not sure how fast I was going but don't believe I was over 45. If I tried to accelerate it would miss pretty bad.. I got home and tried to pull codes again and got nothing. Tried the turn the key methid and got nothing.. as a first effort, I replaced the crankshaft pos sensor.. didnt fix it. I'm at a loss now.. the Jeep will start if you hold the key and give it lots of gas.. idles good but if you step on the gas it starts to miss.. it has a newly rebuilt PCM from wranglerfix... Thanks for any help, rob mc..

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Sounds like several problems simultaneously, but I would start with the cluster not communicating with the canbus. That's why you have no gauges and no codes. I'm guessing you actually get a communication failure when you plug in your reader? Depending on the cause of that communication issue, it's possible it could be related to some other stuff, possibly ignition switch related.

Used to be a guy in our club that had a TJ that every time we ran through a puddle his Jeep would misfire and run like crap for about 15 minutes afterwards until everything dried out. We never did figure it out, but it would eventually run good again. Have you just let yours run for a while with the hood open? He used to gently give it some gas until it would barley start misfiring, and then rev it up to that point over and over again until eventually it would clear it's throat and purr like a kitten again. Kid of like clearing a flooded carb if you've ever had to deal with that before?

Was driving yesterday in a lot of heavy rain. Ran thru standing water and shortly afterwards the guages , all,speedo,tach,fuel,temp, volts all went dead, jeep still running.. accelerated to merge and engine missed pretty hard. I pulled over and it was running like normal. I shut it down to try and pull the codes and all I got was a no link.. then it wouldn't start. After an hour of contemplating life and having the battery unhooked I tried it and it fired right up.. still no guages but no cel.. I proceeded to drive the 5miles back home and the cel popped on. Im not sure how fast I was going but don't believe I was over 45. If I tried to accelerate it would miss pretty bad.. I got home and tried to pull codes again and got nothing. Tried the turn the key methid and got nothing.. as a first effort, I replaced the crankshaft pos sensor.. didnt fix it. I'm at a loss now.. the Jeep will start if you hold the key and give it lots of gas.. idles good but if you step on the gas it starts to miss.. it has a newly rebuilt PCM from wranglerfix... Thanks for any help, rob mc..
Maybe Mark at @Wranglerfix has some ideas. Sure sounds like something related to the PCM or its wiring.

@Robmacdaddy You can send us will run it in our Jeep to see if the pcm has any issues. Please send it to the address on our website with a detailed note of what happened and we will get you taken care of, sir.

Thanks for the tag @Jerry. How does it feel from going from Babylon 2.0 to the freest state in the union?

@Robmacdaddy You can send us will run it in our Jeep to see if the pcm has any issues. Please send it to the address on our website with a detailed note of what happened and we will get you taken care of, sir.

Thanks for the tag @Jerry. How does it feel from going from Babylon 2.0 to the freest state in the union?

Thanks, I bought this PCM from you guys at the end of may 2022.all has worked fine until now. I'll send it out Monday.