2006 TJ manual transmission help

2006TJTX

Hello, So I decided to replace the rear main seal due to an oil leak. I removed the skid plate, starter, exhaust, oil pan, bearing brace and then removed and replaced the seal. I then put everything back using OEM torque specs. Somehow this process has damaged my transmission. It will not go into any gear. It is on a drive up ramp and I can’t even get it in neutral to roll it off. Anybody know what I could have done to cause this? Thank you

Hello, So I decided to replace the rear main seal due to an oil leak. I removed the skid plate, starter, exhaust, oil pan, bearing brace and then removed and replaced the seal. I then put everything back using OEM torque specs. Somehow this process has damaged my transmission. It will not go into any gear. It is on a drive up ramp and I can’t even get it in neutral to roll it off. Anybody know what I could have done to cause this? Thank you

Will it go into gear with the engine off?

Thank you, I was wondering about that. I don’t feel any difference on my foot. Is there something that could have disconnected?

Thank you, I was wondering about that. I don’t feel any difference on my foot. Is there something that could have disconnected?

I wish I had done more than I had on my Jeep, but I can't say I've dropped the transmission on it for clutch work. Throw out bearing, pilot bearing, master/slave hydraulics could all effect clutch performance. I don't know exactly to what extent when certain things fail or aren't reassembled properly.

Did you do a new clutch?

I haven’t, I guess that might be next. Thanks for your help.

Strange situation. That’s where the crank meets the transmission. Can’t imagine what happened. The starter is engaging the flywheel, right?

if the trans wasn't supported only thing off the top of my head I can think of that may have been tugged on from the weight of the trans/transfer case would be the linkages for the transfer case... and they seem to be finicky to operate when good in the first place.

does the transfer case shift knob move the transfer case into any other gears or is it resisting movement?

You might need to wiggle the transfer case shifter to get it to clunk the transfer case back into a gear. or manually manipulate the shift lever on the transfer case from underneath the jeep while you have someone competent holding the brake pedal so the thing doesnt roll off the ramps onto of you. you may have tugged the transfer case into a partial shift.

alternatively you could have someone rock the jeep back and forth while attempting to shift your transmission gearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
if the trans wasn't supported only thing off the top of my head I can think of that may have been tugged on from the weight of the trans/transfer case would be the linkages for the transfer case... and they seem to be finicky to operate when good in the first place.

does the transfer case shift knob move the transfer case into any other gears or is it resisting movement?

You might need to wiggle the transfer case shifter to get it to clunk the transfer case back into a gear. or manually manipulate the shift lever on the transfer case from underneath the jeep while you have someone competent holding the brake pedal so the thing doesnt roll off the ramps onto of you.

alternatively you could have someone rock the jeep back and forth while attempting to shift your transmission gearing.

This is is good idea^^^

You might need to wiggle the transfer case shifter to get it to clunk the transfer case back into a gear. or manually manipulate the shift lever on the transfer case from underneath the jeep while you have someone competent holding the brake pedal so the thing doesnt roll off the ramps onto of you. you may have tugged the transfer case into a partial shift.

I will try this, and let you know. Thanks for the help.