2006 TJ Rubicon

NevadaMike

TJ Enthusiast
I just saw a 2006 Rubicon Wrangler listed on Craigslist. It’s listed for $30K. From the pics it looks pretty clean and it’s very low miles. I went to Kelly blue book and it books a little under $20K if it’s in excellent condition. Here’s a link to it. I’m tempted to go look at it and see what it’s like. If it’s in good condition maybe offer them $20K for it and see what they say. I’m sure they only paid what it books for at the most.

What do y’all think about this find? At that age I’m not sure if it’s even the original top. It’s possible if it was garaged all the time. Did the oem tops come with tinted windows back then?

Looks clean, but it’s hard to say for certain without seeing the frame. If the frame is as clean as the rest, it could potentially be a good buy.

Reactions: NevadaMike
Looks clean, but it’s hard to say for certain without seeing the frame. If the frame is as clean as the rest, it could potentially be a good buy.
Seeing the Jeep in person to see if it looks as good as the pics. You’re right about looking at the frame too. You would think that at that mileage it would be a good frame, but it can rust just as easy as one with 200k miles on it.

Seeing the Jeep in person to see if it looks as good as the pics. You’re right about looking at the frame too. You would think that at that mileage it would be a good frame, but it can rust just as easy as one with 200k miles on it.
Check the carfax. As long as it hasn’t been in any states where they salt the roads the frame will likely be just fine.

Reactions: NevadaMike
Check the carfax. As long as it hasn’t been in any states where they salt the roads the frame will likely be just fine.
The ad says “CARFAX Shows NO Accidents, NO Damage, and 8 Service History Records!”
It would be good to see where it’s been. If it’s been local all it’s life then it’s ok with salt, we don’t use salt in the area. That is a great idea to check on that.

The ad says “CARFAX Shows NO Accidents, NO Damage, and 8 Service History Records!”
It would be good to see where it’s been. If it’s been local all it’s life then it’s ok with salt, we don’t use salt in the area. That is a great idea to check on that.
The CarFax should tell you where it’s been. I always check that first. Southwest vehicles are usually the best to buy from my experience.

what they say
They’re going to laugh you off the lot.

Right now a Sport With similar mileage and condition will bring nearly that.

I’m not saying what anything is worth ... But you take a dealer that knows what they’re doing and they’re going to get $25-$30,000 out of one like that.

I’m saying all this assuming it has no rust.

I have an '06 Rubi LJ. It has the original tops (both). It has never been on a salted road. When I go to the beach, I stop at a car wash in CC and clean the bottom, every time.
You are not talking about sunk cost; you are talking about supply and demand. They don't make these anymore and there is a limited supply. People with a lot of money, who want one, don't care about price. I've been offered $40k for mine, on the street.
I won't sell it unless I have to or until somebody offers me enough to get a good replacement (doubtful).
The price on these Jeeps is only going to go up from now on. If this is what you really want, I suggest you jump on it.

Reactions: AndyG
I have an '06 Rubi LJ. It has the original tops (both). It has never been on a salted road. When I go to the beach, I stop at a car wash in CC and clean the bottom, every time.
You are not talking about sunk cost; you are talking about supply and demand. They don't make these anymore and there is a limited supply. People with a lot of money, who want one, don't care about price. I've been offered $40k for mine, on the street.
I won't sell it unless I have to or until somebody offers me enough to get a good replacement (doubtful).
The price on these Jeeps is only going to go up from now on. If this is what you really want, I suggest you jump on it.
Well said-

Book value means nothing- More so right now than ever

Recently we had a guy going to get one and it sold before he got there- I can’t tell you how many times somebody was trying to negotiate on one and the seller got a full price offer and moved it before they can get on here and ask us what it was worth- That has been the case on nice low mileagr Rubicon’s for about as long as I’ve been on here-

I’ll tell you guys something else- about 80% of the time the TJ never makes it to the open market- the dealers nephew gets it, a guy at work gets it, etc.

We come out of restaurants with noted that say “if you ever want to sell....” on the window. Random people walk up at the pumps and say “how much”.

27,500-28 might get it - less if they can’t move it- But that is one of those colors that some people really want most likely it will be bought over the internet and taken away with a car hauler.

And @Chris will get a four door and laugh at us so hard milk squirts out his nipples.

Except they do still make them and the ones they make today are even better. :p
:D "Better" That's funny shit right there ;) Yep, get one with 4 doors is about it. My vote says $30K for that is stupid money. Granted prices have gone up, but a 100% increase? That why there is a 100% increase because buyers will take it in the shorts cause they "must have something".

Reactions: Dr. Internet
I just bought my 05 LJ Rubicon last June. Looked at many, many before buying. That price is in line with the market back then. Don’t know about now. I don’t think KBB hasn’t been able to keep up with the market.

Edited to add: I need to point out that I was looking only at low miles (<50k) LJ Rubicons in very good condition, and that's what $30k got back in June. The price range for LJs varied from about $15k to about $35k, depending on the year, model, and condition.

Last edited:
I’ve had it brought to my attention that the rack was installed to the body in the rear by Driving into the tub rather than mounting to the bumper by the frame. Does that seem to be an issue to anyone?

If you’re willing to travel and willing to pay to get a nice Rubicon we may want to look at the website of Cross Jeep in Kentucky.

On the rack I’ve seen them done both ways - I hate to see bodys drilled into generally-

For 30k with that many miles and condition you could get a really clean unmolested LJR.

I looked at it today and it looked a little ruff for the miles. My feelings is that most of the miles on it were off road or getting to going wheeling. Where they drilled through the tub to mount the basket I expected to see at least some backing, but found none. The aftermarket market parts on it seemed like they weren’t the best quality available and were installed in a half hearted manner. I might have over looked some of the stuff if it were $10k cheaper. I could fix what was done poorly, but for the price it should have been in better shape. The lot this was on had five TJ’s and I wasn’t real impressed by the ones I looked at. I only looked four of the five because the fifth win was off to the side because it had been sold. It was a 2005 with about 9k miles on it. It sold for $35k.

I also looked at another TJ that was fir sale by a private party. The Jeep was a 2001 and looked fairly decent. He was only asking $9k for it. He was upfront and said it needed new tires before I met him to see it. It was listed in good shape, not excellent and that rating seemed an honest one. I took it for a test drive and something just didn’t seem right with the front end. I don’t know if it was the steering or suspension. It just seemed a little light. I’ve driven my parents TJ and that drives good in my opinion. My parents jeep is a soft top and the one for sale is a hard top. My brother had a tj with a hardtop and has also driven my parents soft top and said his hard top handles similar to the soft top. I can tell the current owner of the jeep I was looking at has had it own in some decent amount of mud. He’s only owned for six months and wants to sell it to go back to a truck. I feel the owner before him also wheeled hard in it. So I’m afraid that the light feeling I felt from driving it around means there will be some steering and/or suspension work needed at least up front. There’s little stuff around the jeep that should be easy to fix and for $9k I do t mind that. I just don’t want to buy it and then have to sink a decent sun to fix the problem in the front end.

On a positive note I looked at five different Jeeps today and did some probing with a tool I had with me. I didn’t see any sign of rust on the frame of any one of them.

Reactions: JMT
No TJ is worth $30K US! get a grip on this Covid "Un reality"! Buy a clean sports for $10K and enjoy it for what it is because Rubicon TJ,s are no longer what they were! they are now just a Hood decal and dealer selling point years ago!
16 " wheels cheap as chips! Locker switches, plenty available! But if its worth 3 TJ Sports then hey go for it. :)