2006 Wrangler randomly shut off

Chunktin

I have a 2006 Wrangler that just shut off 2 days ago while trying to leave a parking lot. I went to restart it and it would turn over really fast but not start. The gas gauge said half a tank so I figured that my gas gauge was not working and I was out of gas because that is how it felt when it died. I was just going and it just ran out of gas. So I checked the fuses and none we blown for the ignition or the fuel pump and it started right back up after trying to crank it for a few minutes and I got to a gas station shut it off and filled it up. My gas gauge was correct and now its full and still not starting. It took a few tries and starts back up. Got to Autozone to scan the check engine light and its throwing these codes. P0300 Random Misfire Detected - P0129 Barometric Pressure too low - P0157 O2 Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2) - and P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor) The guy at the Autozone told me that I needed to replace my cylinder Head Assembly. I dont see how if its all an electrical issue. I mean It does not smoke or burn oil or have a drop in power. I was thinking maybe its the wire harness or something like that. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Autozone employees are mostly clueless idiots, you can't trust what they say. Your TJ can generate its own codes, no need to take it to an auto parts store to get your trouble codes. Just quickly turn the ignition switch on-off-on three times within five seconds and leave it in the On position. Give it several seconds, any diagnostic codes will start appearing in the odometer display.

It could be a bad crankshaft position sensor, could be a bad camshaft position sensor. Could be a bad fuel pump too.

Is it an automatic? How many miles? Need to check gas pressure. My 05 had a bad ASD relay. Swap out the horn relay with the one in the ASD slot. My jeep would just die while driving like it ran out of gas. Ran in my drive way for about an hour and the engine would die. Swapped out the relay and solved my problem. Also, in the TJ and LJ 04-06 years with the automatic transmission had the transmission control module that was incorporated into the main computer which seems to be problem for a lot of Jeeps. You could have a computer problem too.

Before you start changing out parts.... check the easy things first...
There is an electrical harness to and from the ECU that is routed around the back of the valve cover towards the drivers side then is routed around a threaded head stud. This is the harness that carries the signals from the sensors (MAP,IAC,TPS, O2) to the ECU and then out to the fuel injectors. This harness is known to rub against the threaded head stud and wear thru the split wire loom and wiring insulation which shorts signals to ground.
Check the ECU's four 32 pin harness connector pins and clips for oxidation (greyish coating) and verify it is firmly snapped into the ECU receptacles.
When the signals are interrupted; the engine will operate poorly or totally stop running.

Hi it has 84268 on it and I typically only drive 6 miles each way to work. Its really well cared for and clean and kept up on oil changes and when its cold out the trans shifts hard from first into second until its warmed up which is only a few min. Oh also my speedo just stopped working. When I am moving it does nothing but sit on Zero MPH and when in park it hops up and down from 1-20ish mph. I had a bass sub in there for a while and it would just randomly make noise when the truck and radio both were off. I took it out but not sure if this matters.

Hi it has 84268 on it and I typically only drive 6 miles each way to work. Its really well cared for and clean and kept up on oil changes and when its cold out the trans shifts hard from first into second until its warmed up which is only a few min. Oh also my speedo just stopped working. When I am moving it does nothing but sit on Zero MPH and when in park it hops up and down from 1-20ish mph. I had a bass sub in there for a while and it would just randomly make noise when the truck and radio both were off. I took it out but not sure if this matters.
Check the harness connector connected to the speedometer sensor down at the t case; verify the wiring has not rubbed thru and is touching ground...

@Chunktin The hard shift is processor failure on the Pcm. Erratic gauges, high transmission temperatures and bad o2 sensors are also signs pointing towards a faulty Pcm.

The 0340 leads backs to:

a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken

the camshaft position sensor may have failed

the PCM may have failed

there exists an open circuit the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

You can call me at 866-888-7710 to discuss in further detail.

Reactions: Apparition
I didn’t even notice the mentioning hard shift. That’s definitely the pcm then and often all the other symptoms like everything going crazy at once (various codes all at once) points to it too.

@Chunktin The hard shift is processor failure on the Pcm. Erratic gauges, high transmission temperatures and bad o2 sensors are also signs pointing towards a faulty Pcm.

The 0340 leads backs to:

a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken

the camshaft position sensor may have failed

the PCM may have failed

there exists an open circuit the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

You can call me at 866-888-7710 to discuss in further detail.
You need to call that number. He is qualified, Wrangler PCMs are his forte.

I like to say “forte”. It makes me feel accomplished or something.

• Haha