2007 Host 270 Motorhome $88,900 Olympia, WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/20...90_6xRydMO54grW046iEaApmZjeXFpGpGiZAyrDYlLso8

Has the 6.0 Powerstroke diesel engine.

Only 10,300 miles.

2da18331-c974-41aa-ac13-6f455310614d-1.jpg

2da18331-c974-41aa-ac13-6f455310614d-2.jpg

2da18331-c974-41aa-ac13-6f455310614d-3.jpg

2da18331-c974-41aa-ac13-6f455310614d-4.jpg

2da18331-c974-41aa-ac13-6f455310614d-5.jpg

2da18331-c974-41aa-ac13-6f455310614d-8.jpg

2da18331-c974-41aa-ac13-6f455310614d-9.jpg

2da18331-c974-41aa-ac13-6f455310614d-10.jpg

WTF??? Have you priced RV's lately? That is a GREAT price for this unit. You need to research a little more.

No I haven't. I'd expect a 16 yo motorhome to be no more than half that price - esp. one built on the cheaper side like that one is. Its a leak waiting to happen and I'd be shocked it it hasn't happened already.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Wildman
No I haven't. I'd expect a 16 yo motorhome to be no more than half that price - esp. one built on the cheaper side like that one is. Its a leak waiting to happen and I'd be shocked it it hasn't happened already.

Again you don't know what you're talking about. Host is a top manufacturer of RV's. This is NOT a cheap built motorhome and was & still is a highly desirable unit. You really need to know more before you comment.

Please tell me how it's cheap and why it's a leak waiting to happen?

Let's see...it's nicer than my truck. It's nicer than my house. Hell, it's nicer than my friends' houses.

I'm obviously doing something wrong in life... :(

Let's see...it's nicer than my truck. It's nicer than my house. Hell, it's nicer than my friends' houses.

I'm obviously doing something wrong in life... :(

For a guy who's fixin to retire what do you need a house for? You can bring it with ya. The only thing bad about this the bed is either the overhead bunk or the couch.

Host does make a really nice unit and their heritage is from the Beaver coach line. They still use the same plant that used to manufacture them.

Again you don't know what you're talking about. Host is a top manufacturer of RV's. This is NOT a cheap built motorhome and was & still is a highly desirable unit. You really need to know more before you comment.

Please tell me how it's cheap and why it's a leak waiting to happen?

I have owned and been associated with RVs of various sorts my entire life. All I need to do is look at the non-radius corners to tell you how its built and that it WILL leak - most likely near the curve at the bottom of the cab over. Cab-over campers, mini motorhomes, and fifth-wheels are all prone to leakage in that area - I guess they flex more there or something.

Virtually *ALL* RVs are crap, some are just more crappy than others. Airstreams are one of the few that aren't - and even they have their own problems but aren't likely to leak. Every RV I've ever owned or been associated with has leaked - and they've all been built just like that one - seams at the square corners. Radiused corners reduce (I didn't say "eliminate") the likelyhood of leaks substantially, as do Fiberglas end caps - esp. in the front of an RV like this one.

Slideouts are another invitation to leaks, but that's a different story. Tip-outs are somewhat better in that regard, but even those are potential leak vectors. But the main problem with this one is the square corners. Its only a matter of time, even when the owner tries to stay on top of things (as I did). Rubber membrane roofs (if this one has such) are another nuisance from what I've been able to observe, none of my RVs had one but I've heard plenty of stories.

I have owned and been associated with RVs of various sorts my entire life. All I need to do is look at the non-radius corners to tell you how its built and that it WILL leak - most likely near the curve at the bottom of the cab over. Cab-over campers, mini motorhomes, and fifth-wheels are all prone to leakage in that area - I guess they flex more there or something.

Virtually *ALL* RVs are crap, some are just more crappy than others. Airstreams are one of the few that aren't - and even they have their own problems but aren't likely to leak. Every RV I've ever owned or been associated with has leaked - and they've all been built just like that one - seams at the square corners. Radiused corners reduce (I didn't say "eliminate") the likelyhood of leaks substantially, as do Fiberglas end caps - esp. in the front of an RV like this one.

Slideouts are another invitation to leaks, but that's a different story. Tip-outs are somewhat better in that regard, but even those are potential leak vectors. But the main problem with this one is the square corners. Its only a matter of time, even when the owner tries to stay on top of things (as I did). Rubber membrane roofs (if this one has such) are another nuisance from what I've been able to observe, none of my RVs had one but I've heard plenty of stories.

Well this might be your experience. Since you THINK all RV's are crap then why even look? I've been around RV's too just not all my life but know enough to be trouble.

Yep if you don't maintain your roof you'll have leaks. These units are a quality built and Host is now the premier camper manufacturer in the USA.
You're entitled to your opinion but again you should research a little before saying something is pricey.

New this unit sold for $200K or a little more depending on how it was optioned out. Do you even know what makes this a unique coach?

And BTW I own a Host motorhome.

Well this might be your experience. Since you THINK all RV's are crap then why even look? I've been around RV's too just not all my life but know enough to be trouble.

Yep if you don't maintain your roof you'll have leaks. These units are a quality built and Host is now the premier camper manufacturer in the USA.
You're entitled to your opinion but again you should research a little before saying something is pricey.

New this unit sold for $200K or a little more depending on how it was optioned out. Do you even know what makes this a unique coach?

And BTW I own a Host motorhome.

Its not (necessarily) the roof - go re-read my posting. As far as motorhomes go, I'd much rather have one like this one:

https://www.rvt.com/Gulf-Stream-BT-Cruiser-5245-2021-Cape-Coral-FL-ID11049175-UX175156
Same basic price, centuries newer, and certainly better built.

Its not (necessarily) the roof - go re-read my posting. As far as motorhomes go, I'd much rather have one like this one:

https://www.rvt.com/Gulf-Stream-BT-Cruiser-5245-2021-Cape-Coral-FL-ID11049175-UX175156
Same basic price, centuries newer, and certainly better built.

I read your post. And yes if you don't check out your seams yearly things can leak. But so can anything if you neglect it.

For current pricing this unit is priced accordingly.

A Class B unit wouldn't work for me or what I wanted.

And you're trying to compare a Class B to a Super C? Really?
Not even apples to oranges there.

Neither unit you linked are 4WD like the Host. If it is not what you want great but some do.

Reactions: reddvltj
I read your post. And yes if you don't check out your seams yearly things can leak. But so can anything if you neglect it.

For current pricing this unit is priced accordingly.

A Class B unit wouldn't work for me or what I wanted.

And you're trying to compare a Class B to a Super C? Really?
Not even apples to oranges there.

Same difference as far as I'm concerned - the cab over bed doesn't do it for us. Here's what I'd expect to pay for an older one:

https://www.rvt.com/Four-Winds-Chat...-SLIDES-2006-Inverness-FL-ID10595978-UX101988
And it too is built better, plus has the advantage of no crap technology. Radius corners, fiberglas end caps.

Reactions: reddvltj
As far as B+ motorhomes go, the best built I've seen are by an outfit called Coachhouse. Their apparent quality outshines anything either of us has posted in this thread. But of course, they're at the upper end of the market and their price reflects that. They'd be a bit more reasonable if they built them the way they do, but omitted the BS "luxury" crap.

OK 👌

Since you think a Four Winds is a better built than a Host nothing more needs to be said.

Less likely to leak by far. "Host", whom I've never heard of before (RV companies come and go) isn't something I'd want. You don't believe me? That's your prerogative - just don't blame me when it leaks - and it WILL leak. I assume the 4 winds is stick built - which is fine as long as the damn thing doesn't leak! Leaking into laminated side panels isn't pretty either and will destroy ANY RV in short order. Saw a couple or three leak damaged units at a local RV repair outfit, all built like that "Host", all needing major work to fix.

I got out of RVs in Y2K, now wife wants one again. I don't. But you know how that kind of thing goes. My *VERY* first consideration is likelihood of leaking - this is Florida. That 4 winds will leak too, but its far less likely than one with stressed square corners - cheap, cheap, cheap, CHEEP! First thing I do when looking at any RV is look for where it has leaked. Climb into the overhead/cab over/overhang for those that have them and check the bottom front corners. If its more than 4 or 5 years old and has square corners, 98.05423% of them have water damage in that location if not elsewhere. Radiused corner RVs and esp. those with fiberglas endcaps are far less likely to be compromised - although I've seen some of those that were too, just not nearly as many.

There was an all fiberglas class C made in the late 70s, "American-Something", I can't remember after all these years. They were made by the same guy who started "Aristocrat" back in the day - near where I lived in California. They made a metric butt ton of them, and you saw them for DECADES afterwards because the damn things didn't leak at the seams so they held up. Coachhouse is much the same from what I can see. Pioneer fifth-wheels from the same period were one piece fiberglas endcaps and roof, they held up for decades as well. "Ardon" was similar, but didn't have the one piece including the roof - so I don't know about their leakworthiness but they did have the fiberglas end caps.

To those who know what they are getting in this Host it very reasonably priced.

Those work...

While I wouldn't want to drive them, my poor wife literally has no idea of what I'd be willing to live in...:sneaky:

The ones that you and @Zorba are discussing are beautiful, but nothing I could ever see myself owning, to be honest. But like I said, beautiful units. (y)

While I wouldn't want to drive them, my poor wife literally has no idea of what I'd be willing to live in...:sneaky:

The ones that you and @Zorba are discussing are beautiful, but nothing I could ever see myself owning, to be honest. But like I said, beautiful units. (y)

Some of the homebuilt units out there are pretty amazing. I've seen some lately that I wish I had the skills to make.

Reactions: Squatch
Status
Not open for further replies.