2019 GMC Denali... making other luxury trucks look ordinary

I wondered the same thing, who buys these? But obviously people do, otherwise they wouldn’t make them.

It’s really mind blowing to me how expensive a new vehicle is. 66k is A LOT of money.

You can usually get these discounted about 10-12k towards the end of a model year. I have a 14' Sierra (non-denali) and love it, I'm really tall so having the extra room to stretch out on a daily basis is great.

I'd love the updated tech and 6.2 paired with the 10 speed, 23 MPGs on the highway is wild for that engine. Mine averages about 20 on the highway with the 5.3 which in my opinion is still pretty great.

I won't be upgrading for a while though, less than a year left on my current loan, I can't wait to have that monthly income back!

Cars in general are getting more and more expensive. I never thought I would be able to afford a full sized truck. Thankfully for Jeeps holding their value we got our 2018 4x4 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. It was listed at 45k but the dealer gave us 22k for the 2014 JKU and we owed 11k plus an additional 6k for repeat customer.

It has the 8speed trans and 5.7 hemi. we are getting around 18mpg on city. Haven't taking it on the highway yet but the sticker say 15 city 20 highway. so hopefully I can get more than 20.

Reactions: Chris
Leasing...The worst way to spend money on a car since they became available. The other thing to note...You should NEVER have to pay sticker for a vehicle, unless its a specialty vehicle (Raptor, Ferrari, Lambo, etc). For a general, go to the Lot and buy it kind of car...there are enough incentives and discounts that you should not have to pay sticker. A lot of times, the used market is so thin that a two year old car is within a couple thousand of a new one. I've bought two brand new vehicles because of that weirdness.

Leasing...The worst way to spend money on a car since they became available.
Do not agree with this statement. If, like the majority of America, replaces/trades their cars every 3 years or so, leasing is, or let me say CAN BE, better deal. Some if not most manufacturers actually subsidize residuals, making them higher than what actual market value of the vehicle will be at lease end. This means for the 3 years you lease the vehicle, your payment will be lower during the lease and you will walk away at the end having put out less cash than if you bought, made loan payments for 3 years then traded to the dealer (for likely a lower trade value than the residual in the lease).
Leasing is a terrible deal for those that like to keep cars for 5+ years (buy vehicle at lease end) and those that go into a dealer to lease but are not educated on residuals, money factors, lease fees, MSRP and invoice, etc. and just discuss payments with the dealer. Too many ways a dealer can take advantage.

Reactions: Chris
Interesting, I didn't realize the sticker price on trucks was so jacked up.

I have both leased and bought cars. Currently I own my truck and lease a CRV. (edit: I own a TJ also :p) Leasing has pros and cons but really comes back to what @mde8965 said... If you going to sell your car in 3 years anyways then leasing is probably not a bad idea. (as long as you don't drive over your assumed miles a year.) If you do drive over your mileage but you have a car that holds value this doesn't matter as much since you can turn it in early and typically walk away either whole or with money in your pocket. (this generally works more often with non luxury brands)

For people who don't drive a ton each year and always like to have the newest and best safety / technology in there cars leasing is a good option since it keeps the payment down. Another point is that when people sign a lease typically the term of the lease falls within the factory warranty. Look at range rover owners. They lease 100k to 150k SUVs that need parts all the time but since land rover is so good at the service counter, give you a loaner car, and all around have good customer service they are one of the highest ranking brands for customer loyalty with approximately a 48% chance of a repeat customer.

On a financial point the best thing people could do would be to buy a car keep it for 10 years then rinse and repeat. But we all know most people don't do that.

Leasing is also a bad idea if you plan to actually drive your vehicle. I have seen many people park their lease vehicles because the miles are too high. For me I do a lot of road trips because flying a family 4 is too expensive so leasing it out of the question.

Couldn't agree more on this point.

Last edited:
Leasing is also a bad idea if you plan to actually drive your vehicle. I have seen many people park their lease vehicles because the miles are too high. For me I do a lot of road trips because flying a family 4 is too expensive so leasing it out of the question.
True. Leasing will not work if you drive much over 15k miles/year. I was leasing a BMW in 2005 and was downsized and ended up having to take a job 70 miles from home. That was 700 miles a week in commuting. So I ended up buying a used Honda and driving it to work 3 times a week until the BMW lease was over a year later. 2 months after that I transferred to an office 6 miles from my home. Where I work to this day.
I lease my primary vehicle (BMW X3). I put about 9k miles a year on it. $56k sticker price and with very little upfront cost I’m paying about $540/mo. With BMW leasing is the only way to go. Nobody wants to own one once it’s out of warranty anyway.

Reactions: JeepNWilly
I am in buy and drive it till it dies camp...but am calculating possibly a future lease. I own my 2014 explorer (bought it with 11k on the clock at 11 months old) . I have put over $3500 in repairs (not wear items like tires or maintenance) that I could not do myself in the last year and a half and it still has leaks in the back roof area, computer/gps issues that dealer can't fix. The real problem going forward with all cars is the complexity and electronics even the base models will come with.
I can see leasing a "normal" car if you are on a fixed income or have to stick to a real household budget and have no room for unexpected expenses.

Oh and I bought my Wife's 2016 Benz...probably should have leased as already the $5800 command unit went at 17,000 miles...will need to source an extended warranty if I keep that one.

If you're self employed, there are some very good advantages from a tax perspective to leasing. I lease my vehicles with a high mileage allowance. That raises the payment amount (tax deductible) and lowers the residual. I then buy them out at the end of the lease, at the lower residual. My wife gets a 3 year old babied vehicle, every 3 years.

For a non- self employed consumer, leasing is not a great idea, usually.

If you're self employed, there are some very good advantages from a tax perspective to leasing. I lease my vehicles with a high mileage allowance. That raises the payment amount (tax deductible) and lowers the residual. I then buy them out at the end of the lease, at the lower residual. My wife gets a 3 year old babied vehicle, every 3 years.

For a non- self employed consumer, leasing is not a great idea, usually.
I buy/pay for them through my company and when I sell them keep I the $$...let the accountant hide it, remember it is tax avoidance not evasion!

My Tundra list price was $51,500. Bought it for $40,500.
Very Nice! When I bought my F150, it stickered for 52+ and I walked out at 44,500. I didn't have ANY connections to Ford either...I qualify for GM employee pricing and got more off the Ford than they were willing to give on GM. If the model hasn't changed, it can be VERY beneficial to look at a leftover last year model.

Reactions: KMG
Oh .That's the half ton Gasser... You really want an eye opening experience, go build and price a 3/4 ton Denali with a Duramax. You might be able to get it to six figures!