2024: what TV streaming services?

Youtube TV during Football Season. Suspended during the off season. Disney+ for Marvel and Star Wars. Kids are locked down to A couple of Youtube people / channels. I usually rotate one of the streaming services.

For my house this works pretty well. We don't watch much TV so I got rid of the cable bill. Youtube TV works pretty well and 90% of the time my wife can use it without any issues (she is not very tech savvy)

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
It's a lot more than disney, but yeah, there's a pretty clear line in the sand of things our kids can watch and can't. That mostly limits disney stuff to pre 2010. Youtube has been blocked. There's some sick shit push to kids on youtube. 😠

I should add to that Nickelodeon really took a turn down the "woke" path over the last 10 years. I used to watch SpongeBob as a kid, but SpongeBob over the last 10 years has decided to incorporate some "woke" BS. :(

• Sad
Reactions: CreepinDeth
I also had MotorTrend until they cancelled Dirt Every Day. They have other entertaining shows but nothing else I liked enough to pay for.

I forgot about my MT subscription. I was sad about losing DED. That always filled in the gap between Engine Masters. There are only a handful of shows on MT that I like, and that was one.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I should add to that Nickelodeon really took a turn down the "woke" path over the last 10 years. I used to watch SpongeBob as a kid, but SpongeBob over the last 10 years has decided to incorporate some "woke" BS. :(

that sucks. I was too old for it when Spongebob came on but we've enjoyed watching old reruns when they come on TV when we stay in a hotel. Don't watch it much at home because even the old stuff is a little mature for the 5 year old.

Reactions: BlueC
SuperBox

I only pay for high speed internet

I'm slow, and I have some questions. What does Superbox offer that a smart TV or cable box doesn't? Once the initial purchase, is there a monthly subscription cost?

Scenario #1 I have a smart TV and high speed internet (monthly fee). I would also pay a monthly fee to stream Netflix, Hulu (for live TV), Disney, Max, Paramount+, Peacock, plus many other streaming sources.

Scenario #2 If I have cable (monthly fee), it includes high speed internet, but I have to rent the cable company box or boxes, if I want to use more than one TV. I pay more for more content like Max, Peacock, or Paramount.

I'm slow, and I have some questions. What does Superbox offer that a smart TV or cable box doesn't? Once the initial purchase, is there a monthly subscription cost?
Every movie channel in the USA, Canada, and Europe
No recurring fees
Cable or Satellite cant compare

I was a video engineer for Comcast at the Chicago master feed. Even with all my FREE absurdly costing cable, this blows it away

This is basically hacked streaming all in one box
My first one from 2020 just got replaced this Fall
Im on my 2nd one.

Essentially that means it cost me $8 a month spread out. However it still works for LIVE TV, its just the VOD was having issues due to outdated hardware after 3 years

10s of thousands of shows & movies on VOD
Every major news & sports channel in America and more
Every PPV

You wont need any other BS services
Just high speed internet
1 box controls 1 TV viewing

Crash and Burn Pedo-Hollywood
One word of advice, DO NOT put your email or personal accounts on this

Last edited:
Easily hacked?

Questionable legality. The hardware and running the box isn't inherently illegal but unlimited streaming without paying the content providers is.

Edit - traditional broadcast, not an issue. if you pay for HBO and use superbox as one of your devices, probably a grey area. Not paying for HBO at all and using superbox, not legal.

Reactions: RangerTJ and BlueC
I’d strongly suggest a non US, non 5eyes, non logging VPN service as well

I didn't know that was a thing. Who might provide that? I really should up my security a little with all the crazy gov abuse in the world.

I didn't know that was a thing. Who might provide that? I really should up my security a little with all the crazy gov abuse in the world.

I use Mullvad, what’s nice is in addition to the above, you can either use their app or they have native WireGuard support. Multiple payment options, including the one I use which is where you buy a “gift code book” off Amazon, they send you a scratch off card good for 6mo of service. That way there is no transaction record with the vpn provider.

Ive had 2 boxes and neither required Paypal
I respect not using Paypal rho, because I dont either
They are sold on Amazon also

If one were to do that. I’d strongly suggest a non US, non 5eyes, non logging VPN service as well, or you run the risk of having your internet shutoff.

Alarmist nonsense
I stated my engineering background. I also dealt with all the backbone routers for high speed internet customers

Sure a VPN is more secure
However unnecessary because of how the Superbox gets the video data. I dont run a VPN, several years now because I understand both ends. Not one notice or issue

This isnt like downloading torrents
That will get you pinched if you dont do it right

Last edited:
Reactions: RangerTJ
Now we only have Philo, which is $20 a month and we rarely watch it.

We just don't watch much TV at all anymore.

We had Netflix when we were on T-Mobile and never watched it.

I still haven't redeemed my free Apple TV that I got with my new Mac computer.

Several friends have YouTube TV and seem happy with it, but I can't find anything on TV that I'm willing to spend $70 a month for.

If you just want to watch TV and you're not looking for something in particular, Pluto, Tubi, Roku Channel all have literally hundreds of free channels available.

I do watch the MST3K channel on Pluto from time to time. After all these years, Gamera still rocks!

Edit: @CreepinDeth Question about the Superbox. How well does it work with local channels?

We are in an area where an external antenna is a non-starter, down behind a mountain.

I tried with an expensive outside digital antenna and got 3 Spanish stations.

Last edited: