231 to 241OR transfer case swap (How do I plug in the wire harness?)

sunnysideup_lj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I’ve been helping my brother swap his 231 transfer case to a 241OR.

His Jeep 2005 LJ automatic

Transfer case Donor 2006 LJ Rubicon Automatic

Everything so far has been straight forward.

The Issue! How do I plug in the wire harness? The 231 seems to have a different plug than the 241OR. Has anyone done this swap that has more info?

Completely different types of circuits. The 231 just has a simple on-off switch. The Rubicon 241 has a 6-position switch (only 5 are used) to tell the computer what mode the t-case is in.

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 10.02.18 PM.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Completely different types of circuits. The 231 just has a simple on-off switch. The Rubicon 241 has a 6-position switch (only 5 are used) to tell the computer what mode the t-case is in.

View attachment 233119
I see, so is there a way to wire this circuit? Or is there more work involved with the computer?

I see, so is there a way to wire this circuit? Or is there more work involved with the computer?
You can't wire in the original switch. You have to use the same type switch that on the 231 but is normally closed instead of the 231's normally open function.

The switch is an Airtex 1S4219 and the connector is AC Delco PT 724. Be aware that there has been a change in how all the different brands of that switch have been made and they are no longer working exactly as they should. Some report that they engage correctly and then as the case warms up, the dash light starts flickering or goes off. Others report that the Dorman version works, others report that it flickers. Good luck.

AIRTEX 1S4219
You can't wire in the original switch. You have to use the same type switch that on the 231 but is normally closed instead of the 231's normally open function.

The switch is an Airtex 1S4219 and the connector is AC Delco PT 724. Be aware that there has been a change in how all the different brands of that switch have been made and they are no longer working exactly as they should. Some report that they engage correctly and then as the case warms up, the dash light starts flickering or goes off. Others report that the Dorman version works, others report that it flickers. Good luck.
Thanks guys. I've been thinking about doing this accommodation for a while. Not that you particularly need a light to tell you when you're in 4wd, but it's kind of a nice feeling to have the little things on your Jeep working. Although flickering light might be worse than none at all...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford