242 HP 4.0 build by Power Nation

bedhed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Any of you guys watched this build? Can someone explain their use of a distributor? Having been down the frustrating OPDA road, seeing that drew my attention more than anything else.

Reactions: Allstar424
Any of you guys watched this build? Can someone explain their use of a distributor? Having been down the frustrating OPDA road, seeing that drew my attention more than anything else.

The 4.0 used a distributor up until the 2000 model year. The block they are working on is out of an 87.

Ah! Their mention of "up to 2006" peaked my curiosity. What were the changes in the blocks? I watched him drop the distributor in, but it didn't look familiar. I take it the distributor and OPDAs don't mount the same either?

The OPDA and distributors both mount in a similar fashion and are connected/driven by the camshaft. If you look up pics of OPDA’s and distributors for the TJ, you’ll see how they are similar in the way they look and connect up.

The 2000-2004 4.0 TJ’s also used an OPDA, but the design of the OPDA was different than the 05-06 OPDA’s, and wasn’t as prone to as many issues. The 05-06 models are what give the OPDA a bad name for the TJ’s.

P.S. I should also mention that the 2000-2004 OPDA are not compatible with the 05-06 models, in case that is someone’s next question. The PCM that they talk to is a bit different in the 05-06 models, even if they were physically close to being the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
Oh I'm aware of the 05-06 redheaded stepchildren. Mine is an '06. I know what the '04 OPDA looks like, but I'm not sure how that one mounts. The way it mounts in this '06 looks and feels pretty ridiculous to me. I'm no gear head, but it seems like using a glorified pvc/emt clamp to secure such a vital part in place doesn't seem right.

Ah! Their mention of "up to 2006" peaked my curiosity. What were the changes in the blocks? I watched him drop the distributor in, but it didn't look familiar. I take it the distributor and OPDAs don't mount the same either?
In reference to the years they were just talking about all the years Jeep utilized the 4.0 liter platform. There were subtle changes within that time line, some for the better, some not so much but that was just the bolt on parts.

Edit: here's the best information for the interchange on the 4.0
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/4-0-cylinder-block-interchangeability.16801/

Last edited:
Reactions: bedhed
Yea, the distributor hole in the later engines has the cam sensor in it.

So built head, hopped up cam, modded old school intake & a carb to get that kind of power. Would that do OK wheelin when your all off axis? Or a cold start in cold conditions? All the benefits of EFI would be gone.

In reference to the years they were just talking about all the years Jeep utilized the 4.0 liter platform. There were subtle changes within that time line, some for the better, some not so much but that was just the bolt on parts. The 4.0 block and head interchange from '91 to '06.
This would probably be a better option IMO, (I could be wrong though)
https://golenengineservice.com/jeep-engines/

Yea, the distributor hole in the later engines has the cam sensor in it.

So built head, hopped up cam, modded old school intake & a carb to get that kind of power. Would that do OK wheelin when your all off axis? Or a cold start in cold conditions? All the benefits of EFI would be gone.
Either I was half-ass paying attention, or either they went through the dyno test quick. I didn't understand why they swapped to the carb. Didn't care to go back and watch again, but it was a cool looking build.

Reactions: Airjunky
Either I was half-ass paying attention, or either they went through the dyno test quick. I didn't understand why they swapped to the carb. Didn't care to go back and watch again, but it was a cool looking build.
Yea, they were having problems getting it to run right with the EFI. I assume those tweeks would need to be done in the ECM. But by putting the carb on there, they can do the adjustments on the carb with jetting, air/fuel adjustments, etc.

Last edited:
Yea, they were having problems getting it to run right with the EFI. I assume those tweeks would need to be done in the ECM. Buy by putting the carb on there, they can do the adjustments on the carb with jetting, air/fuel adjustments, etc.
Yeah, this one gave me the feeling that it was more of an experiment to toy around with and get some content out there. I thought it was cool, but more details would have been interesting to see. Even better, slap it in a Wrangler and test it.

Yeah, this one gave me the feeling that it was more of an experiment to toy around with and get some content out there. I thought it was cool, but more details would have been interesting to see. Even better, slap it in a Wrangler and test it.
Yea, thats Engine Power for ya. They rarely get off the engine dyno on that show. It's the other shows at PowerNation that actually drop the engine in a car/truck & build the whole thing.

Yea, thats Engine Power for ya. They rarely get off the engine dyno on that show. It's the other shows at PowerNation that actually drop the engine in a car/truck & build the whole thing.
Ah! This was the second episode I'd seen. That makes much more sense now. Hell that takes half the enjoyment away after watching a build.

• Haha
I don't even want to know how much they want for that!!!😵😵
I was thinking the same thing. Actually, I was thinking that, and how similar it started sounding a lot like a siren off a 1930s fire engine.😆 I was ready to hear it spool on up

I was thinking the same thing. Actually, I was thinking that, and how similar it started sounding a lot like a siren off a 1930s fire engine.😆 I was ready to hear it spool on up
I'm pretty sure I don't want or need almost 500 hp in my Jeep, considering my first 2 TJs were 4 cylinder models and I never had any real issues wheeling with them. the 270 hp and 300 lb/ft torque of just a drop in stroker would be just fine. That said even that is a hard pill to swallow starting at a base price of $5049 for just the long block. (Bigger injectors required)
If I were to go that route I'd probably go for the complete and get all the add extras for $6599.

Complete Engine Includes the following parts and services

• Dyno Break In Service
  • Oil pan
  • Timing cover
  • Slinger and Buffer for timing cover
  • Oil pan and timing cover bolt kit
  • Valve Cover Kit w/ Golen 4.6L Badge
  • Harmonic balancer pulley
  • Labor to install covers
  • Joe Gibbs 15w50 Break In Oil
  • Oil filters (3)
  • Spark plugs
  • 24lb Fuel Injector Kit

I'm pretty sure I don't want or need almost 500 hp in my Jeep, considering my first 2 TJs were 4 cylinder models and I never had any real issues wheeling with them. the 270 hp and 300 lb/ft torque of just a drop in stroker would be just fine. That said even that is a hard pill to swallow starting at a base price of $5049 for just the long block. (Bigger injectors required)
If I were to go that route I'd probably go for the complete and get all the add extras for $6599.

Complete Engine Includes the following parts and services

• Dyno Break In Service
  • Oil pan
  • Timing cover
  • Slinger and Buffer for timing cover
  • Oil pan and timing cover bolt kit
  • Valve Cover Kit w/ Golen 4.6L Badge
  • Harmonic balancer pulley
  • Labor to install covers
  • Joe Gibbs 15w50 Break In Oil
  • Oil filters (3)
  • Spark plugs
  • 24lb Fuel Injector Kit
Damn. I'd never priced one before. I heard stroker and that was enough to not have to look any further.😆 Having 500hp in a Jeep would be pretty wild. Won't lie though, I'd do it if I could afford it. Unless someone is doing 35mph in a 55 zone, I don't even pass anymore. I chose to spare myself the embarrassment.😆

Damn. I'd never priced one before. I heard stroker and that was enough to not have to look any further.😆 Having 500hp in a Jeep would be pretty wild. Won't lie though, I'd do it if I could afford it. Unless someone is doing 35mph in a 55 zone, I don't even pass anymore. I chose to spare myself the embarrassment.😆
I keep my 425 hp and 800 lb-ft torque happily in my tow pig. Passing things even with a trailer behind it isn't an issue;)