265/75 tires on stock TJ Rubicon?

Jeff Allan

TJ Enthusiast
I'm getting some new tires, do not want to mess with lifts. My Rubi is a DD, pretty easy trails and snow. The stock 245 size worked fine for me, but I'd like to go a tad bigger for something different/looks. I don't disconnect the swaybar. Most guys say with a 265/75/16 I'll be fine with stock suspension and the moab's 5" BS.

Lots of research has led me to narrow down my specs even managed to find pics for a good visual. Hopin' to get some good opinions/suggestions that can help me in final decision. So many factors that I'm learning about, like back spacing, unsprung weight... and I'm being pretty anal about it. I keep tires for a long time so I want it to be the best choice for me.
Here's Duratrac 265/75 on a Rubi. Actual listed size is 31.7" height and 10.5"
46521743.jpg

Here's some BFG KO's 265s on a Rubi. Actual listed size is 31.6".
P1000315.jpg

The other factors I'm considering is weight, as I don't want to hurt performance. The stock MTRs were 50 lbs., and the BFG KO2s are almost 54 lbs. I love how tough they are and I guess that comes at a price with that extra unsprung weight. My other choice that I'm really high on is the Fierce Attitude, they are similar in size and tread to the Duratracs. They weigh 51 lbs so not much difference.

Last edited:
Jeff, I ran 265/75r16 Duratracs on my stock 05 Rubicon for a long time with no lift. They'll fit just fine and you won't have any issues at all unless you plan on doing a lot of off-roading and flexing, at which point you'll have no choice but to get a lift.

I always love the look of the Duratracs and I love their all terrain performance. It's good that you're taking weight into consideration as most people completely ignore this only to find out later how badly it hurt their performance. Of course that can always be remedied with a re-gear or other modifications.

You'll be 100% fine with 265/75r16 tires on the stock Moab rims. I even run a size bigger now (285/75r16) on the stock Moab wheels with no rubbing issues.

Here's mine on the 265/75r16 Duratracs:

12046661_10206765052499147_2111490368422724373_n.jpg

And here it is on the 285/75r16 Duratracs:

12241233_10206975152151507_5941428072551034834_n.jpg

Fierce Att. is 31.7" and 51 lbs.
fierce-attitude-mt-angle-main.png

My other choice was Cooper STT Maxx, but a 265/75 is listed at a true 32". It's big. But what's weird, it's only 44 lbs. that seems odd, that it's so light in an E load and it's the biggest tire of the bunch.

cooper-discoverer-st-maxx-angle-main.png

Reactions: Chris
At 32" you're going to really be pushing it at stock height. That would be my only concern.

Jeff, I ran 265/75r16 Duratracs on my stock 05 Rubicon for a long time with no lift. They'll fit just fine and you won't have any issues at all unless you plan on doing a lot of off-roading and flexing, at which point you'll have no choice but to get a lift.

I always love the look of the Duratracs and I love their all terrain performance. It's good that you're taking weight into consideration as most people completely ignore this only to find out later how badly it hurt their performance. Of course that can always be remedied with a re-gear or other modifications.

You'll be 100% fine with 265/75r16 tires on the stock Moab rims. I even run a size bigger now (285/75r16) on the stock Moab wheels with no rubbing issues.

Here's mine on the 265/75r16 Duratracs:

View attachment 427

And here it is on the 285/75r16 Duratracs:

View attachment 428

Chris I was hoping to get some info from you. But did not expect that. Awesome that there was no issues. I saw your rubi in the "lift thread", it is truly awesome. Mine is silver, but when I was buying it came down to flipping a coin 'tween black and silver.

I haven't ruled out the Duratracs, as they come in a C load and will only be 48 lbs. So I'd go up a size and down 2 lbs! That's tempting. As you know the sidewall thing was a concern. I still can't confirm if the Fierce Att. is a 3 ply or 2. Read both. One guy said it's printed right on his sidewall, yet others say it's 2 ply. ugghh. That is important, and I have to give somewhere. I'm just ain't rushing my decision. My problem is I end up reading too much and then no matter what tire, I'm sure to find someone who doesn't like it,...then I want to start the search over. lol.

At 32" you're going to really be pushing it at stock height. That would be my only concern.

Yeah, it's out of the running. If I went with ST Maxx, I'd have to stay with a 245 size and that is 44 lbs. I had the weight wrong on the coper 265, it's 49 lbs.

Do you or the rest of forum, think it looks okay, not too stuffed in the well with a 31.7" tire?

Do you or the rest of forum, think it looks okay, not too stuffed in the well with a 31.7" tire?

To be honest, when mine was stock with the 265/75r15 Duratracs it looked too stuffed for my liking. It wasn't horrible, but it almost looked 'lowered' or something which is why I was happy once I got it lifted.

I've been asking around a ton of people in my local Jeep community and they are all running Mud Terrain tires in the deep snow here up in the mountains. They are telling me that after having their Mud Terrain tires siped (which you can pay extra for) that they perform really, really well in the rain and snow.

I don't know if that is an option for you, but it may be one worth looking into. Buy a set of true MT tires and have them siped!

BTW, post some pictures of your Rubicon when you get a chance!

To be honest, when mine was stock with the 265/75r15 Duratracs it looked too stuffed for my liking. It wasn't horrible, but it almost looked 'lowered' or something which is why I was happy once I got it lifted.

I've been asking around a ton of people in my local Jeep community and they are all running Mud Terrain tires in the deep snow here up in the mountains. They are telling me that after having their Mud Terrain tires siped (which you can pay extra for) that they perform really, really well in the rain and snow.

I don't know if that is an option for you, but it may be one worth looking into. Buy a set of true MT tires and have them siped!

BTW, post some pictures of your Rubicon when you get a chance!

Is the pic of your rubi with 265's lifted at all? I know you said you ran them without any lifting but it seems a bit taller than the pic of the black rubi I posted. Wondered if you had lifted at some point. It looks like you have a bit more room than the 285s to me.

I think it looks real good. The BFG pic too. The very first one I posted, to me, looks maybe a hair big for the well, but probably the angle. They are same size Duras as yours.

Having tires siped would be great, but gave up on that, there is no one anywhere that sipes tires around here (Ohio). I even tried to find someone back in '06 when I got the Rubicon and wanted the MTRs siped. Called at least a dozen places and nothin'. Most tire shops didn't even understand what it was! Discount Tire used to do it awhile ago, but stopped due to liability reasons.

Last edited:
Jeff, yes, the photo of my Rubicon with the 265/75r16 tires is lifted 2.5". I had them on for about a month before adding the lift, I just can't seem to find any photos of them before the lift unfortunately.

That's pretty shocking that no one sipes tires. I would have figured that would be easy to find places that do... What a bummer!

Reactions: Jeff Allan
I wish I had known about the highline when I first got my Wrangler. If I went with a highline now I would need 35" tires to make it look right with all the fender gap from my lift.

I don't really need more clearance. I just want a bit more aggressive look. Another tire I'm considering is the KO2 275 70. It is an odd size. Size is 31.1" tall and 11" wide. 50 lbs which is great. I think it might be too wide and rub.

At 11" wide it won't rub.

My 285/75r16 Duratracs are over 11" wide on the stock Moab wheels and they don't rub at all.

Reactions: Jeff Allan
Good to know, thanx bud. I'm thinking with that 11" width, it'll be too much mpg hit for me. I don't mind a little wider but that's about 1.5" over stock. My top choice is still the Fierce ATT, but also considering Cooper ST Maxx in the stock size, since they tend to run a little on big size. They look good and get great reports. If I go stock size, am I still allowed to come here? lol.

here is a pic of the jeep yesterday. Just got back from a new fender/paint at the body shop. I've been touching up rust and stuff on bumpers/doors and the rock rails. I'm going to put some Fluid Film on all of it soon.

These are stock tires, probably 3/32" of tread left. So I think even most 245s are going to give me a bigger look. ha ha.
rubi_zpsnucx1zjr.jpg

Last edited:
I scored some KO2's in that size for my 04 Rubi. Love it, love them. Absolutely no regrets.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk