2nd hip replacement

DavidBT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
After posting in the good news thread about my new part time job I just found, I'm now looking at having to have my left hip replaced again after roughly 27 years. Riding in the truck brought up some issues that I had been having with it. I'm now awaiting a appointment with a Orthopedic surgeon to get his opinion on the X-ray's that were taken of my left hip and knee. Now our trip to Lake Mead on May 13th will be on hold also.

That sucks, man. My mom has been holding off a knee replacement for years and isn't to needing a cane but my dad drops her off at the door and goes to park pretty much everywhere they go.

Doing the math though ...you had that hip done at 39 years old? Did something happen to the one you were born with beyond just age?

Most docs probably say 27 years is great for an artificial hip but most people don't start as early as you did.

Stay positive. I know it's easier said than done but it's critical.

That sucks, man. My mom has been holding off a knee replacement for years and isn't to needing a cane but my dad drops her off at the door and goes to park pretty much everywhere they go.

Doing the math though ...you had that hip done at 39 years old? Did something happen to the one you were born with beyond just age?

Most docs probably say 27 years is great for an artificial hip but most people don't start as early as you did.

Stay positive. I know it's easier said than done but it's critical.

Thanks @freedom_in_4low I had a disease in it when I was 11. I was a underground pipe layer for the first 15 years or so of my career and yeah, I wore it out. I feel pretty good about it lasting this long considering I was a heavy equipment operator for the second half of my career.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I had a disease in it when I was 11.

When I was about 10 I had a rather traumatic hip injury, and the older I get, the more concerned I get about having to have that hip replaced. How bad is it? What issues finally sent you in for the first replacement?

When I was about 10 I had a rather traumatic hip injury, and the older I get, the more concerned I get about having to have that hip replaced. How bad is it? What issues finally sent you in for the first replacement?

Mine was called Perthies disease, for give me if I spelled it wrong. I basically favored my right leg more than my left. My left leg decided it didn't need to grow or work any more. By my 30's, the ball of my hip pretty much looked like a fist balled up and bone cartilage started flaking off and causing major pain and locking up while walking. Wasn't good being a laborer and carrying heavy things on your shoulders. I was 11 when first diagnosed.

• Sad
Reactions: BlueC
That sucks.

I got kicked by a horse when I was young and my bones were still malleable enough to bend and not break, so now I have a hip shaped like a horse hoof. That side tends to be tighter, but generally doesn't give me any problems unless I get cold, then that side locks up with crippling pain. How was the replacement? I'm afraid I'll eventually have to go that route, and honestly that scares me.

That sucks.

I got kicked by a horse when I was young and my bones were still malleable enough to bend and not break, so now I have a hip shaped like a horse hoof. That side tends to be tighter, but generally doesn't give me any problems unless I get cold, then that side locks up with crippling pain. How was the replacement? I'm afraid I'll eventually have to go that route, and honestly that scares me.

I think all in all, the replacement went well. Since I couldn't labor anymore, I got in the operating engineers. At first that was pretty tough because I was driving over job sites on a loader and twisting it, which caused a lot of pain. You do have to be careful that it doesn't pop out of joint, and fortunately I never had that problem. I've heard it's not quite as an extreme surgery these days.🤷

My hip didn't necessarily wear out like many with bone on bone contact with movement. I had bone spurs on the edges of the socket that limited my range of movement. The deciding factor for me was lack of sleep because I had to keep repositioning to get comfortable. Afterwards, I wished I would have done it sooner.

Reactions: BlueC and DavidBT
@LukesfirstJeep so did you have a full replacement, or did they just shave down some area

I had a full replacement, and it was a same day surgery in 2019. I walked in and out the same day, and I was 60 at the time.

Mine was made by Depuey or something like that. I asked the surgeon how long will it last, and he said they're measuring wear in the thousanths of a mm per year, and you need several mm to be a problem.

I had a full replacement, and it was a same day surgery in 2019. I walked in and out the same day, and I was 60 at the time.

Mine was made by Depuey or something like that. I asked the surgeon how long will it last, and he said they're measuring wear in the thousanths of a mm per year, and you need several mm to be a problem.

I sure hope my second one goes as well. My first one if I remember correctly, I was in the hospital for two nights. I have a eight inch scar on my left butt cheek. I've heard the new first one's are not as evasive. I know that my kidney removal was a walk in the park compared to my first hip surgery, which was 12/27/1995

I sure hope my second one goes as well. My first one if I remember correctly, I was in the hospital for two nights. I have a eight inch scar on my left butt cheek. I've heard the new first one's are not as evasive. I know that my kidney removal was a walk in the park compared to my first hip surgery, which was 12/27/1995
There's a new procedure. They go in from the front, and not the butt. There's les muscle disturbed and quicker recovery.

Reactions: DavidBT and BlueC
I asked the surgeon how long will it last, and he said they're measuring wear in the thousanths of a mm per year, and you need several mm to be a problem.

That made me think of an old neighbor from when I was a kid. Jasper, was his name, and he was in his early-mid 70s through mid 80s when I knew him. He was a slow moving guy, but he didn't stop moving, I honestly don't think he knew how to stop. One time, Jasper was digging a ditch and my dad suggested that he would help if he wanted to take a break. Jasper said something like "no, at my age, if you stay in one place too long they bury you", and went back to digging. :LOL: His knees finally started giving him trouble, and he had at least one replaced at 77 or 78. The Dr told him those new replacement joints should last him 30 years. Jasper wore one out within 5 and had to have it replaced.

Reactions: DavidBT