California 3/20 Odessa Doran Loop

Bigmac

Rather be in 29 palms.
Supporting Member
Continued from the "socal Jeepers who like to go offroading" thread.

Just want to get everyone who plans on attending on one dedicated thread so i can stop hijacking the other one.

Run will go Saturday March 20th. Looking at an early showtime around 0800 but i know some folks are coming from further out so let me know if that's unsupportable.

Run requirements are:
- working restraints for all drivers and passengers.
- at least one recovery point front and rear (a rear hitch and pin qualifies)
-roll or sport bar (oem or aftermarket)
- Working spare tire (or very extensive plug kit)
-positive attitude and a sober driver

Recommendations:
-extinguisher
-2.5" lift for swb 4" for Lwb.
-33 inch tires.
-skid plates ( or reckless abandon for sheet metal)
-1 locker or limited slip

Haven't done this trail before but These recommendations seem in line with what I've read online.

I will be bypassing the Doran Gatekeeper.

Just want to get everyone who plans on attending on one dedicated thread so i can stop hijacking the other one.

Run will go Saturday March 20th. Looking at an early showtime around 0800 but i know some folks are coming from further out so let me know if that's unsupportable.

Run requirements are:

Recommendations:
-extinguisher
-33 inch tires.

Haven't done this trail before but These recommendations seem in line with what I've read online.

Just tossing an idea out there for thought. There is a KOA camp ground in Barstow if anyone is down for camping out Friday night. This is what I'm thinking due to I have a three hour drive to Odessa Canyon from San Dog.

Just tossing an idea out there for thought. There is a KOA camp ground in Barstow if anyone is down for camping out Friday night. This is what I'm thinking due to I have a three hour drive to Odessa Canyon from San Dog.
Calico is open as well. My wife made reservations for us on the 20th. Unfortunately, we cant join the run as we are not leaving OC until 10M. We are primarily headed out there on a shakedown run for our RV that has been in storage for 2 years...

if any one is sticking around on Sunday and has plans for a morning run, we would love to tag along.

Reactions: LarryTJ
Calico is open as well. My wife made reservations for us on the 20th. Unfortunately, we cant join the run as we are not leaving OC until 10M. We are primarily headed out there on a shakedown run for our RV that has been in storage for 2 years...

if any one is sticking around on Sunday and has plans for a morning run, we would love to tag along.
I'm not familiar with Calico. Is there open space out there to dry camp?

Calico is a county campground with full hook ups if desired and just about a mile from the trailhead.

I have stayed at both the KOA and the Calico campground. The KOA does the best with what they have to work with and lives up to my expectations of a KOA ( I like them) but I prefer Calico to get away from the road noise if nothing else.

Reactions: LarryTJ
You heading out in the jeep or going to tow it?

Now im getting jealous🙄 I wonder if the wife would be annoyed if I took the camper too and made an overnight of it...

You heading out in the jeep or going to tow it?
Flat tow behind the camper (at least that's the goal) Friday afternoon. I have an RVI assisted brake system arriving tomorrow. That should be an easy hook up and test and this brake system will complete the requirements to safely flat tow the TJ.

Are you planning to head up Friday?

I haven't decided to camp in that Calico Campground which looks like it's right around the corner from the trail Or Dry Camp.

Now im getting jealous🙄 I wonder if the wife would be annoyed if I took the camper too and made an overnight of it...
I told my significant other I'm taking the camper and flat towing the TJ up Friday and her comment was "Do I need to go on this one". So she decided to say home and do her felting hobby.

Run requirements are:

Recommendations:
-extinguisher
-33 inch tires.

I'm good with an 8:30am Or 9am meet up if everyone else is.

I’m still unsure if I can make it. But if I can make it I’ll probably drive up that morning.

@Bigmac in response to the GPX files I provided in the other thread,

Odessa is on the right (east) and Doran is on the left (west). This is the yellow route I've depicted. Technically, it's all considered the Doran Scenic Loop, which was a yuppie movie star thing to go see back in the day and it was paved. That's why you'll see pieces of asphalt still on the trail. The "gate keeper" as they call it is on the Doran side. If you choose to go the route I've suggested, it will be towards the end of your run. Right before you make a hard right up out of the canyon, stop there and walk down about 50 yards to see it.

Reactions: Bigmac
ok so everything looks like a go from my end. 830-9 am showtime leaving between 9 and 915 if that works for everyone. who's definitely coming and whos a "maybe"?

i know it's a sin but i invited a JK driver from my unit 🤣 the TJ guy is a maybe right now.

I am not going to be out there before mid-day so I won't be able to join you guys. However if anyone stays the night on Saturday, I would be up for an early Sunday morning run.

download.jpeg