3/4" spacers for 17x9 wheels with 4.5" backspacing and 35" tires

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
Are longer studs available so I can run 3/4" spacers on a 4.5" backspaced rim and get 3.75" of backspacing or is a 1" spacer going to be necessary and end up with 3.5" of backspacing?

Are longer studs available so I can run 3/4" spacers on a 4.5" backspaced rim and get 3.75" of backspacing or is a 1" spacer going to be necessary and end up with 3.5" of backspacing?
Generally, no. Specifically depending on what is in the axles, yes. There are longer screw in studs for aftermarket axles that can accept them all the way out to 3" long. If you have a hub conversion, it is possible to drill the rotor with 1/2" clearance holes and then drill and tap the bearing hub flange so they bolt the rotor to the flange.

What do you have that is the 4.5" circle?

Generally, no. Specifically depending on what is in the axles, yes. There are longer screw in studs for aftermarket axles that can accept them all the way out to 3" long. If you have a hub conversion, it is possible to drill the rotor with 1/2" clearance holes and then drill and tap the bearing hub flange so they bolt the rotor to the flange.

What do you have that is the 4.5" circle?

Nothing is 5x4.5" anymore. 5x5.5.

Mrs. Toximus is looking at rims with me this morning and we came across the Raceline fake beadlocks that look decent compared to all of the brodoser rims: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rlw-928m7905512/overview/

I noticed the backspacing though and wasn't sure if they were worth even considering.

I suppose at the price point the procomps are at they could be considered disposable with each set of tires. Feels wasteful but we're leaning that route.

I really like the Raceline wheels you linked, and considered buying a set of 17x9 wheels with 5x5.5 lug pattern and 5" backspace and using 1" spacers to net my desired 4" backspacing. I found longer press-in studs to use with them (JK studs if I remember correctly) but can't find the link now because I went a different direction. Here is the link to the spacers: https://www.titanwheelaccessories.c...ep~md_cj7~sz_wheel-spacers~yj_1-wheel-spacers

I have the Pro Comp 1069 wheels you are looking at, but in 16x8 with 5x5.5 lug pattern and 4.0" backspacing. At $104 each, which is what I paid including shipping (before the Supreme Court's Internet sales tax ruling in Wayfair v. South Dakota), I place them in the disposable wheel category should they be damaged. (Scratches on the $189 Racelines would hurt a lot more.)

As far as upkeep, they polish nicely with a cordless drill, buffing ball and Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish.

Hub 2.jpg

The previous wheels were ProComp 1079's, essentially the same but with a faux rock ring. The previous owner installed them in 2008 or 2009 and they still looked good in 2019 when I removed them:

Close up of Pro Comp 6079 wheel removed from jeep.jpg

Another photo taken last week:

Stevens Camp2.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the Raceline wheels you linked, and considered buying a set of 17x9 wheels with 5x5.5 lug pattern and 5" backspace and using 1" spacers to net my desired 4" backspacing. I found longer press-in studs to use with them (JK studs if I remember correctly) but can't find the link now because I went a different direction. Here is the link to the spacers: https://www.titanwheelaccessories.c...ep~md_cj7~sz_wheel-spacers~yj_1-wheel-spacers

I have the Pro Comp 1069 wheels you are looking at, but in 16x8 with 5x5.5 lug pattern and 4.0" backspacing. At $104 each, which is what I paid including shipping (before the Supreme Court's Internet sales tax ruling in Wayfair v. South Dakota), I place them in the disposable wheel category should they be damaged. (Scratches on the $189 Racelines would hurt a lot more.)

As far as upkeep, they polish nicely with a cordless drill, buffing ball and Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish.

View attachment 96104

The previous wheels were ProComp 1079's, essentially the same but with a faux rock ring. The previous owner installed them in 2008 or 2009 and they still looked good in 2019 when I removed them:

View attachment 96108

I just realized that they aren't clear coated. I assume that you haven't exposed them to salt? Maybe they could polish out every spring... As long as the bead surface doesn't end up with issues.

H&R makes a wide range of hub centric spacers. I have 20mm spacers in 5-4.5" lug pattern on the Z.

You are using a 4.5 to 5.5 adapter right? How thick is the adapter?

Only for the spare tire carrier. Everything else is converted to 5x5.5. So I could run a proper backspacing without spacers or adapters.

This is on the khaki TJ listed in my signature.

I just realized that they aren't clear coated. I assume that you haven't exposed them to salt? Maybe they could polish out every spring... As long as the bead surface doesn't end up with issues.

In my experience, almost every clear coated wheel has shit clear coat. I've had 3 different wheels that had clear coat on them start peeling on the bare aluminum parts like the wheel lip. American Racing thorqthrust and SRT8 replicas on my Magnum, and Ion Alloy wheels on my Jeep.

For what it’s worth, I have a 17x9 Racelines on my Ranger and they’re not clear coated and will fade over time. I remedied this issue with a little bit of Vaseline every time I wax the truck. Also running 5x4.5-5x5.5 adapters with trimmed studs.

I have the Pro Comp 1069 wheels you are looking at

My wife went with these. 17x9 I'd have preferred 8.5" but the 9" isn't bad. $97/ea shipped to my door.

Thanks for the reviews. We'll have to see how they hold up in my climate.

My wife went with these. 17x9 I'd have preferred 8.5" but the 9" isn't bad. $97/ea shipped to my door.

Thanks for the reviews. We'll have to see how they hold up in my climate.
May I ask where you got this deal on the wheels? Although I was not in the market, I might revisit replacing my wheels at that price.