WTB: 3 thick steel plates, 3'x4'

astjp2

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
I am trying to build a special press, I still need 3 pieces of really thick steel plate. The 3 plates need to be 3’-4’ x 3’-4’ rectangle or square. I have 4” diameter guide pins. Not going to be easy to get cheap but most of my projects are are long term. Thanks, tim.

What's the tolerance for flatness? Steel plate is not precision flat, depending on what you are doing and tolerances you made need them Blanchard ground so allow for that in thickness?

Also 1in plate 12x12 is about 40lbs so are you equipped to move that around?

Best bet is to watch marketplace or something if you are flexible on thickness and size plus rust.

Or, go to your local steel vendors. Mine will sell via credit card and deliver to my work or I can pick up.

I am trying to build a special press, I still need 3 pieces of really thick steel plate. The 3 plates need to be 3’-4’ x 3’-4’ rectangle or square. I have 4” diameter guide pins. Not going to be easy to get cheap but most of my projects are are long term. Thanks, tim.

Can't help on the plate, but I'm curious what you are makin'.

Can't help on the plate, but I'm curious what you are makin'.

Trapped rubber press, want to press aluminum sheet over a die. Once I have the steel, it will be skimmed on a mill on top and bottom. Then let it sit to see how bad it warps.

IMG_2829.jpeg

IMG_2828.jpeg

IMG_2827.jpeg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Any stamping companies in your area? Could have some old die sets laying around. Possibly check equipment resellers and auctions too.