30 spline 60 vs. 30 spline 44

astjp2

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Is there any real benefit going from a 44 30 spline with discs to a dana 60 30 spline with drums that would need to be converted to discs...Tim

The shaft diameter will be larger on the Dana 60, so it should be stronger given they’re made from similar material.

The differences between a 44 and a 60 are far more than just the axle shaft diameters and strengths. If that was the only difference I'd be running 40's on my Dana 44's. The housing strength differences are significant. I wouldn't run 40's on my Dana 44 even if I replaced its chromoly 30 spline shafts with 35 spline chromoly shafts that were larger than what comes in a 60.

Reactions: Rob5589
Here’s a chart showing the common axle weight ratings.

Axle GAWR (Max) Manufacturer
Dana 30 2,770 lbs Dana Holding Corporation
Dana 35 2,770 lbs Dana Holding Corporation
Dana 44 3,500 lbs Dana Holding Corporation
Dana 50 5,000 lbs Dana Holding Corporation
Dana 60 6,500 lbs Dana Holding Corporation

Like Jerry said, more to it than just spline count. I ran 40 spline axles in a 60 for a hot rod. You should see those suckers!

The spindles are too small to accept 35 splines, it’s from a 71 furd that has 16 spline in it now, not really a great find but I am weighing my options for my new lj axles

Is there any real benefit going from a 44 30 spline with discs to a dana 60 30 spline with drums that would need to be converted to discs...Tim

Your question is super broad with an even broader range of answers. Maybe if you fill in what you are trying to do we can better answer your question.

Well I have a HP ford front 44 with 4.11's that I am going to narrow to put in my LJ, I can get 8 lug and/or 6 lug outers easily which opens up to my rear diff options... I have a 71 ford dana 60 laying in my pile of junk, it is not a high end, currently 16 spline open diff with 4.11. Converting it discs, 30 spline and lockers is about the double price as building up my other option. I can get a rodeo 44 cheap, it has disc brakes already and I have build one before...I just need to swap calipers, install a locker and it has 30 splines in it from the factory. I know the 60 is stronger but with the added cost of building it up, its limited to 30 splines because of the spindle ID. I am not convinced I will need the extra beef of the 60 with 30 spines and 35" tires...and both rears are the same width.

Hell, throw you a GM 14 bolt Corporate in there!
I would rather give up a testicle than run a 14 bolt...I am not building a king of the hammers, just a putt putt to carouse across the nevada desert and the bonneville salt flats at 60 miles per hour...with an occassional play in the mountains...I could get by with the dana 30 I have, but the front 44 gives me 3" tube, lock outs, 297 ujoints, and I am not running 40's so it should be heavy duty enough.

Been a long time but I recall the 60 I built was an early Ford version. Of course new ends, discs, axles, spool, etc. The tubes aren't as thick as full float versions but plenty for what you are planning.

one thing i have yet to see discussed here is that the 60 will be full float (iirc sf60s were 35 spline) vs the 44 semi float.
with a full float axle if ya blow a shaft it's a bit easier to limp it off the trail as the shaft only transfers the rotational motion as opposed to also carrying the weight of the vehicle.

I'm finding it more and more confusing as to why people continue to think that hand building an axle is cheaper. If you have a donor for the carrier and other reusable guts, the housings offered in today's market place kick ass! The ECGS 689 & 489 axles take the Dana 60 and Dana 44 to the extreme. Thicker tubes, recast housings that compensate for weaknesses, add brackets for disc brakes and offer warranty.... Then there is Dynatrack, G2, Currie, and they are all coming down in price.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrDmoney
1400-1700 vs 4500, and that includes the locker...that is what i would have into a 44 if I build it myself. I also looked at just buying a Mopar rubi 44 front, 900 for a housing from summit, then I still need to put on mounts, get a locker and outers. I paid 100 for the ford hp and it has 3" x .5" tubes...second biggest for a 44 on the market.