31x10.5x15 on stock Ravine wheels... Opinions?

Austin704

Hey guys,

I've got a bone stock 2004 TJ Sport with 30x9.5x15 mounted on stock Ravine wheels. Time for new tires. I'm thinking of inching up to 31s but that pushes the width to 10.5. I've read some people experience no rubbing with the larger tires and others experience some rubbing. Also, there appears to be about a 4 pound weight difference between the two, which could affect mileage. Anyone have direct experience with the larger tires on stock Ravines?

Will the larger tires rub at full turn?
At full articulation will the taller tires rub on the fender flares?
Is the fuel mileage penalty worth 1/2" of additional clearance?
Speedo discrepancy about 2mph at 60. Understand this can be corrected with a change to the speedo gear.
Other issues?

I'm looking at BFG AT KO2s or Toyo Open Country AT3.

Thanks!

My 2000 was bone stock, except for the 31x10.50x15 tires when I bought it. Here is a picture. There was zero rubbing issues when turning or articulating the suspension.

20240114_173701.jpg

Reactions: Austin704
Seems to be hit or miss on 31x10.5, but either way if it does rub, it would be so minor that a steering stop adjustment would definitely do the job without affecting the turning radius noticeably. But there is a solid chance that it won't rub anyways. I don't know why some do and some don't. It might be more of a problem on the 7" wheels because they only have 0.25" less backspacing but they bulge the sidewall more whereas the 8" wheels like the Ravines are a whole inch wider which moves the tire center further outwards and bulges the sidewall less.

I don't think articulation or mpg are concerns at all, you may take a 1-2 mpg hit in town, but not necessarily. Articulation will be fine.

I really like the Toyo OC ATIIIs for a mixed use case.

Reactions: tr21triton
Seems to be hit or miss on 31x10.5, but either way if it does rub, it would be so minor that a steering stop adjustment would definitely do the job without affecting the turning radius noticeably. But there is a solid chance that it won't rub anyways. I don't know why some do and some don't. It might be more of a problem on the 7" wheels because they only have 0.25" less backspacing but they bulge the sidewall more whereas the 8" wheels like the Ravines are a whole inch wider which moves the tire center further outwards and bulges the sidewall less.

I don't think articulation or mpg are concerns at all, you may take a 1-2 mpg hit in town, but not necessarily. Articulation will be fine.

I really like the Toyo OC ATIIIs for a mixed use case.

Thanks. Good points… appreciate your reply.