32RH Running Temp Too High?

TuckerMAustin

Installed a temp sensor in my 32RH tranny pan which is a deep pan and also have an auxiliary cooler in line with the stock cooler and it’s running at 210 degrees just driving normal around town. In 4low in the hills, it was reading around 220-240. Is this high? I’ve got ATF+4 in it that’s only about 6 months old. I think I can hear the tranny whining when I’m driving around town as well.

Is it full when checked running in neutral?

210 is warm. 240 for any length of time would concern me.

If it’s slipping that could cause the increase in temps. If there’s no material in the fluid, it could be that there is a leaky piston seal that is preventing the full “clamp” of the frictions/steels. Or your torque converter could be going bad. Or probably 10 other things.

It’s a little bit involved, but there is a way to test the pressure (aka the ability of the seals to hold pressure) detailed in the fsm.

If it’s slipping that could cause the increase in temps. If there’s no material in the fluid, it could be that there is a leaky piston seal that is preventing the full “clamp” of the frictions/steels. Or your torque converter could be going bad. Or probably 10 other things.

It’s a little bit involved, but there is a way to test the pressure (aka the ability of the seals to hold pressure) detailed in the fsm.

Haha it’s never just a simple fix with these things… I’m going to try a reverse flush in the cooler lines today and then go from there.

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear