32RH Won't Engage When Warm

Tigger09

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 2002 6 cylinder auto. When the rig is cool it drives almost normal, there is some lag between stepping on the gas while in reverse. Once warmed up the trans doesn't engage at all. It's almost as if it's in neutral regardless of what gear its in. I pulled the pan and the filter is dirty, the fluid is very dark (think dirty motor oil) but doesn't smell burnt and the pan magnet has some metal sludge on it but no large metal chunks.

Jeep is new to me and was cheap so a new trans isn't out the realm of possibilities but I'm not convinced I'm at the point yet. I'm thinking the next step is to get the rest of the fluid replaced with a new filter and see where I am. What are everyone's thoughts?

First thing to do...1) Pull the parking brake on. 2) Start the engine. 3) Shift into Neutral after shifting through all the gears a couple times. 4) Check the ATF level while the engine is still running and the transmission is still in Neutral. Nope not Park.

If it's low add ATF+4 (nothing else!) until it is completely full. She how it shifts afterward. Add the ATF+4 via a small funnel inserted into the dips tube.

I'm sure this is low tranny fluid.

Cold, it is thicker, higher viscosity and things sort of work.
Warm the oil is more fluid, thinner and it does not develop the pressures needed to engage.
Thank god you have the old 32RH which eliminates the idiot proof electronics.

Low fluids in some new cars,,,, and the computer shuts it ALL down.

It could also be time for a rebuild but the 32RH is a bulletproof tranny. I'd bet on low fluid.
Old oil loses viscosity with time so even if it is full.... it might be more like water than oil.

ps if a tranny oil change resolves the problem.... change every other fluid too. It makes me think NO maintenance has been done by the previous owners.

Last edited:
Levels were good, that was the first thing I check. This is a project Jeep so I'm in no rush to get it going but the trasn is the biggest issue so I wanted to see where I stood with it first. I'm going to change the fluid, replace the filter and see if there is a change.

I've read that Wrangler Forum thread. Makes me want to try a rebuild myself if the trans is junk.

Levels were good, that was the first thing I check.
And the engine was running and the transmission was in Neutral while you were running the dipstick in & out to check the level?

The ATF level will indicate a significantly higher level than is really there if the engine is not running and/or if the transmission is in Park while the level is checked.

Last edited:
Small update...

Dropped the pan, replace the filter and refilled the fluid with ATF+4 to the correct level. By this time is was dark and I didn't want to drive it on the streets but in the garage and drive way it cycles between park, reverse, neutral and drive correctly. When it's in R or D it seems to engage correctly. Jacking up the wheels and hitting the gas and all is as expected.

The only issue is when it's in park, it make a soft chirping noise. If I'm remembering correctly (it was 6+ months ago) it made a louder chirping noise in park last time I worked on it. Am I looking at the torque convector next?

Figured I'd close out this thread. The noise doesn't seem to becoming from the trans and after running the Jeep for a while has gone away. After spending some time looking at the filter there was some metal flaking. At this point I'm going to drive it for a while, place more of the fluid and see where I am with it. Best case, I'm good to go for under $200 and worse case I'm buying a trans which I figured was what I needed to do.

Thanks everyone