33 inch tire recommendations for my 2005 LJ

Keg

TJ Enthusiast
So I am gonna make the jump , Installing lift now ( thanks to all the help from here 😊 ) gears next ( again thanks to all the help here 😊 ) so now the tire question . I am running factory 2005 rubicon 16 inch rims ( even though mine is not a rubicon ) so I have been running the Cooper AT3 10 ply for my last two sets of tires and have been happy with them . I drive off road on the weekends a lot . I know I am running a all Terrain tire but I do pull a camper and have been know to take a 3000 mile trip pulling it to the outer banks or the smokies . I have ruined three tires by side wall punctures out on the trail and I have many chunks of rubber get rubbed off the side wall that now shows up white on the tire , but I know I am asking a lot of these tires . Part of me wants to keep running them but was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a more aggressive tire that would still not disappointment me on the streets , as far as my use and being quiet with a nice ride am maybe look cooler of corse 😊 ? I maybe asking the impossible but I am curious to hear anyone thoughts .? My weekend trips are a mixture of rocks and mud , gravel roads , roots and water crossings and the coopers perform pretty good , I know my e-lockers help in that area for sure ! Thanks for any suggestions.

To the OP. Before you buy another set of tires you might consider getting some larger diameter wheels (17 or 18), thereby reducing the size of your sidewall a little bit, possibly minimizing your sidewall punctures and damage.
Just a thought.

Reactions: Keg
To the OP. Before you buy another set of tires you might consider getting some larger diameter wheels (17 or 18), thereby reducing the size of your sidewall a little bit, possibly minimizing your sidewall punctures and damage.
Just a thought.
I actually posed that question on another post about going to a 17 inch rim . I really didn’t want to spacers but I am considering . Thanks good info ! 😊

I actually posed that question on another post about going to a 17 inch rim . I really didn’t want to spacers but I am considering . Thanks good info ! 😊

I know you like the factory wheel look, but you might consider aftermarket wheels that look similar to avoid the spacers.

I believe they have “Moab” copies in both a 15” and 17”.

My KO2's survived the Rubicon trail. I'm betting they will do well for you too. Street performance is excellent as well.
IMG_9406.JPG

And if you bought 17” wheels, you can buy 285/70/17 BFG KO2 take offs cheap off eBay! The JL rubicon comes with them and so many upgrade I scored 4 new ones, $699 shipped to my door. They are about 33” tall and C load range too.

Just a thought!!

I know you like the factory wheel look, but you might consider aftermarket wheels that look similar to avoid the spacers.

I believe they have “Moab” copies in both a 15” and 17”.
Do you know who makes those ? Thanks 😊

And if you bought 17” wheels, you can buy 285/70/17 BFG KO2 take offs cheap off eBay! The JL rubicon comes with them and so many upgrade I scored 4 new ones, $699 shipped to my door. They are about 33” tall and C load range too.

Just a thought!!
Wow ! That’s a deal that I would be interested in for sure !

Reactions: Rick Flair