33" tires with no lift (yet)

Sparktweek

Hi everyone,

Relatively new Jeeper here. I got my first Jeep this summer, a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport. My BIL was just upgraded his wheels and tires on his JK from 33's to 37's and offered me his 33's at a price I couldn't turn down. They are 275/70R18 Trail Grapplers. The TJ currently has 1.25" wheel adapters to run a 5x5 bolt pattern. The new wheels have a -12mm offset, so I'm pretty sure I'll have enough room not to rub (too much) when turning.

I've been doing my homework and reading the forum posts on tires and lifts, and I've seen all the recommendations that 33's should be the largest tires without NEEDING to regear (although "should" is a different issue, I know). I know that a minimum 2" lift SHOULD be installed for running 33's too.

I don't plan to be doing any rock crawling, but I live in the country where there is plenty of mud. This past May I actually couldn't leave my house for 2 days because of flooding in my own DRIVEWAY ( 700ft off the road, all water, and this was "pre-Jeep" when I only had a car). I'd like a 2" or 2.5" suspension lift for looks and a little functionality, but I don't want to go too large where I need a kit that includes much more than "shocks and springs."

So, my question to everyone is...would 33's fit on a TJ without a lift, or should I wait to put on the tires until AFTER I put on the lift? I have the wheels and tires NOW and am eager to put them on...but I don't want to put them on too early and find out they are just too big to drive around, without a lift.

Pics are of current wheels and fender flares, and of the Trail Grapplers next to my current tires (265/70R17).

Thanks in advance to any comments and suggestions!

20180901_193425.jpg
20181129_163313.jpg

For 33’s to be done right, you need 4” of lift, either 3” suspension lift + 1” body lift or 4” suspension lift.

Whoever told you 2” would work for 33’s on a TJ gave you some misinformation. The only way to do that would be to cycle the suspension and bumpstop accordingly to keep the tires from hitting the fenders (not the flares, the metal fenders behind the flares), and add some steering stops along with the wheel spacers.

Otherwise, the biggest tire you can run with 2” of lift is a 31 or metric equivalent.

Welcome. Yep, no way 33's are a good idea with a 2" lift. If you are serious about off-roading, listen to JMT (3" suspension lift + 1" body lift).

That said, many of us run 33x12.5 on 3" suspension lifts or 32x11.5 on 2" suspension lifts. For a mostly street drive Jeep this works great. This is the BDS recommended tire configuration for those TJ suspension lift kits. That said, not sure what your metric tire dimensions actually are. Most standard 33" tires are only ~32.5" and this is what BDS is going by.

Finally, even with a 2" lift there is no guarantee of being vibe free. With the 2" BDS lift, I still had to drop the transfer case a bit to get rid of the shudder on take-off in 1st gear. From what I have seen and read, you are lucky if you are 100% vibe free after a 2" or 2.5" lift. For a 3"+ lift, you can pretty much count on have vibes.

P.S. You don't want to mount those 33's now. I got away with mounting my 32's on stock height for a week before I got my lift, but clearance isn't as it should be. With 33's, I wouldn't even try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparktweek
Thanks, mots & JMT! This type of information is much appreciated. While I can read the suggestions about other's TJs, I appreciate the suggestions for my specific situation. I'll definitely wait to mount the 33's until AFTER I get a lift. Now to just decide what lift and how tall.

Is there a "mechanical" benefit from going with a 4" lift with all the associated changes, vs going with a 3" lift with a 1" body lift? I'm sure there will be a price difference as I've read and seen and body lifts are relatively inexpensive.

Thanks, mots & JMT! This type of information is much appreciated. While I can read the suggestions about other's TJs, I appreciate the suggestions for my specific situation. I'll definitely wait to mount the 33's until AFTER I get a lift. Now to just decide what lift and how tall.

Is there a "mechanical" benefit from going with a 4" lift with all the associated changes, vs going with a 3" lift with a 1" body lift? I'm sure there will be a price difference as I've read and seen and body lifts are relatively inexpensive.
I recommend the Zone 3+1 lift as an economical and well-respected lift for 33’s.

The advantage of a 4” suspension lift over a 3+1 is more overall clearance. Plus, if you ever wanted to run 35’s you’d be ready to do the additional things you need to get there (which is a lot).

There are advantages to a 3+1 too. For example, sets you up to do a tummy tuck down the line.

At any rate, I recommend highly the Zone lift above for economy. If you want something of better quality look at OME 2” HD + 1.25” body lift for 33’s. If you’re sold out on 4” suspension, you can’t beat Currie.

Reactions: b0xcar and Serbonze
Thanks JMT. Like I said, I don't plan to go offroading, except around my hobby farm...barely 500 miles per month so far, with probably half on pavement and half on dirt.

So what about regearing? Is that necessary with a 3"-4" lift, or is it more of a necessity due to having heavier tires with a larger diameter. As in, would I get away with stock axles and gears?

What’s transmission? 4.0 engine? What gears do you have now?

Of course, ideally you would want to regear, but for some it’s livable. It is due to the rolling circumference and weight of the tires

Reactions: mots
Correct...I have the 4.0 V6 with a manual transmission. I'm presuming I'm running the stock Dana 30 and 35 axles, and that the previous owners have not done any regearing.

If your Dana 35 is a 3.07, then I would advise caution if you don't plan to regear.

Correction! So I remembered that the original window sticker was still folded up with the owners manual in the glove box. It shows that the TJ has the optional Dana 44 rear axle.

After reviewing Chris's post about Axles and Axle ratios (http://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-stock-specifications.71/#post-180), I just went to look to see if I had the tags on the differential covers...which I do, and confirm they are both geared at 3.73 ratio.

Welcome to the forum.
While not ideal 3.73 will be livable. I ran 33x10.5 on 3.07 for a few years, it's all about how much you're willing to put up with.

Reactions: mots and Sparktweek
33s need bump stop extension regardless of the lift height. One purpose of the lift is to regain the lost up travel due to the required bump stop extension.

Cool, 3.73 is much better ratio to have to live with than 3.07. I have a an 05 6 speed with Dana 44 3.73 gears and it runs great with 32" x 11.5" tires. I just had her cruising at 70 MPH in 6th gear at lunch today with 2 decent sized guys riding along :) I decided 32's and a 2" lift was perfect for my needs and the look I wanted. Otherwise it was going to send me towards a bigger lift, re-gearing, and an SYE. No regrets so far!

1543606495665.png

I have a 2" Rough Country (I believe) and 33X12.5s.

Don't do it. They don't actually fit, they rub, and I know I hit my finder at least once.

I'm likely going to keep my springs, go with different shocks (RS5000x) and downsize my tires in the near future (32, or maybe 31)

Heres a little advise from personal experience
I just went through the same thing
This is not my first jeep
but it is my first TJ
Ive had YJ’s before and 1 CJ in years past

I have a 2002 TJ
bought it used and it came with 31’s and no lift

I do not live in an area that has any offroad trails to run the jeep
so for me it was more about the looks

I decided on doing the 4” lift from zone with the nitro shocks. I got it brand new for $399 shipped to me. Came with everything needed (including the transfer case drop)

While I was doing the lift I also swapped in a Dana 44 with the trac lock and 3.73 gears

33” tires on later model wheels with the wheel adapter spacers

I had some very minor driveline vibrations after everything was installed including the t/c drop

I figured I would try the front motor mount lift and new u joints in the rear driveshaft since the old u joints were original and the jeep has 120k miles on it.

After the new spicer u joints and the mml up front the vibrations are gone

the 3.73 gears are not ideal at all though with the 33’s
so keep that in mind. You have to drop down into 4th and sometimes 3rd gear to pass on the pkwy or go up a steep incline
i know the jeeps are not race cars
but it is very very dissapointing with the 3.73 gears and the 33’s
I wouldnt recommend it at all

i am swapping 4.56’s into the jeep hopefully this weekend.

I have the 4.0 and 5spd manual drivetrain

As for the zone lift
I have over 500 miles on it so far and I have zero complaints for how it handles on the road. It doesnt ride like a cadillac but it certainly is not going to rattle the fillings out of your teeth. I have some very bad roads here in the long island and nyc area and the jeep handles just like a jeep should.
Im currently running the tires at 28psi I did upgrade the front track bar to a rubicon express adjustable bar and I found it helps keep the front end a little sturdier compared to the stock one.
I am planning on doing an adjustable track bar in the rear next.

I have not taken it off road so I cant speak for how well it will do in that terrain over time.

I can say for the money and time invested so far I am extremely happy with the jeep. So much so that I drive it everyday and I havent touched my brand new Dodge Ram Hemi pickup since I finished doing the work on the TJ

Heres a pic of it if you want to see how it looks with 4” suspension lift and 33’s on late model wheels

CCDBBED3-83D3-4ABC-9C98-3998AA6761BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Based upon everyone's information and opinions, I decided to go with a 4" lift before installing the 33s. The Jeep is in the shop (reputable, well-known shop in lower DE for doing lifts) and hopefully we can pick it up later today. I can't recall the brands, but it's getting new shocks, springs, adjustable track bar, and adjustable control arms. For now I'll be sticking with the 3.73 gears.

Once we get it back, I'll follow up with some more details and pics.

Thanks everyone!

Cool, 3.73 is much better ratio to have to live with than 3.07. I have a an 05 6 speed with Dana 44 3.73 gears and it runs great with 32" x 11.5" tires. I just had her cruising at 70 MPH in 6th gear at lunch today with 2 decent sized guys riding along :) I decided 32's and a 2" lift was perfect for my needs and the look I wanted. Otherwise it was going to send me towards a bigger lift, re-gearing, and an SYE. No regrets so far!

View attachment 65798

Really like the look of your TJ. What lift did you put on?

Really like the look of your TJ. What lift did you put on?

Thanks! It it is the 2" BDS lift kit that includes their NX2 shocks. The shocks are very compliant and forgiving on the street. If you look at the specs, they are very similar in design and price to the Rancho 5000x that everyone raves about. I'm running 26 PSI on my 32" KO2's and the ride is great over bumps and uneven pavement. I do most city driving on rough mid-western roads and that was one of my goals. The roads here can really suck!