33's on 2004 Wrangler Unlimited

wrapp

I have a completely stock 2004 Wrangler Unlimited. I am not satisfied with the look of the stock tire size, so I am looking to get 33's and lift but don't know what all I would need in addition to the tires (body lift, suspension, etc...). I don't do much off-roading, if any at all, so I would like a setup that would be better rated for on road use. It doesn't have to be anything nice, just something so I can get 33's put on. Any advice on what all I need?

If you don't do much off-roading, don't waste your time with 33" tires and a major lift. Just add H&R 1" springs, a 1.25" body lift, and Cooper Discoverer AT3 32x11.50R15 tires. You'll have a better look, without significantly impacting everyday drivability.

Reactions: JMT
Everyone here will tell you 4 inches of lift or so is required for 33's. I bought my first TJ with a Rough Country 2.5 inch lift and 33's installed (285/70/17) and ran that combination until I sold it almost two years later with zero issues and mild offloading in FL. I did add Rancho shocks and the ride improved.

IMG_5692.jpeg

Reactions: Tioga river Rat
If you don't do much off-roading, don't waste your time with 33" tires and a major lift. Just add H&R 1" springs, a 1.25" body lift, and Cooper Discoverer AT3 32x11.50R15 tires. You'll have a better look, without significantly impacting everyday drivability.
what do you mean by the 33's will significantly impact everyday drivability?

Have you driven a Jeep with 33x12.50R15 tires? When you do, you'll know that they don't respond/feel the same way one does on 31", or even 32" tires. That is, unless you spend more money to balance the equation.

Have you driven a Jeep with 33x12.50R15 tires? When you do, you'll know that they don't respond/feel the same way one does on 31", or even 32" tires. That is, unless you spend more money to balance the equation.
no I have not, but thank you for letting me know. I think it makes more sense now to sacrifice the look of a little bit bigger tire for better drivability.

Last edited:
no I have not, but thank you for letting me know.

Both tire height and width impact how a vehicle responds to driver input. In order to make the vehicle respond similarly to what you feel on 30" tires, corresponding changes are needed to gearing, braking, suspension, and possibly more. In essence, when modifying a Jeep, one thing impacts another.

Reactions: JMT and Tob

Elaborate more, please.

Will it handle like a sports car or bmw m3? No.
Does a Jeep ever handle that way? No.
Should a Jeep have a firm and responsive drive? Sure, if your components are maintained.

I have a 2005 LJ, it was completely stock as of last September 2019. The vehicle was completely original, with very low miles. Summer driven only.
I have installed 33s with a 2.5” lift (OME coils and rancho shocks), adjustable trackbars. The Jeeps handling has not changed at all. All my suspension components are tight and almost new due to low miles.

What does this mean? Most times people install large tires which then show the true colours of the Jeep and vulnerable components. In other words, if your suspension, bushings, etc are all up to par it won’t feel really different.

One thing that did change was gas mileage went down.

I've noticed on here that when asking about a lift, people always suggest $10,000 worth of upgrades in suspension and gearing or it just won't work.

To be honest, since you're not offroading your jeep you can get a 2" budget boost spacer lift and a 1" transfer case drop kit and run 33"x12.5" tires no problem.

I run this set up now with zero issues and my jeep drives and handles great.

The only thing would be how your jeep might be more sluggish depending on your gearing and transmission. I have 3.07 gears with a 3 speed 32RH transmission so mine isn't bad at all and doing 85 mph down the interstate isn't a problem. Yours may be different though.

Both tire height and width impact how a vehicle responds to driver input. In order to make the vehicle respond similarly to what you feel on 30" tires, corresponding changes are needed to gearing, braking, suspension, and possibly more. In essence, when modifying a Jeep, one thing impacts another.
sounds good. I think it would definately make more sense to sacraf
Elaborate more, please.

Should a Jeep have a firm and responsive drive? Sure, if your components are maintained.

I have a 2005 LJ, it was completely stock as of last September 2019. The vehicle was completely original, with very low miles. Summer driven only.
I have installed 33s with a 2.5” lift (OME coils and rancho shocks), adjustable trackbars. The Jeeps handling has not changed at all. All my suspension components are tight and almost new due to low miles.

What does this mean? Most times people install large tires which then show the true colours of the Jeep and vulnerable components. In other words, if your suspension, bushings, etc are all up to par it won’t feel really different.

Yes I understand this, but for what I am wanting to spend on this it would make more sense to do what you originally said and go with the 32's. Then there isn't as much that would have to be done to make it drive like it does now on the 30's, correct?

Elaborate more, please.

I'm not even sure what you're saying. Nobody, ever said a Jeep would handle like a BMW M3. I've owned both and they are absolutely not built for the same purpose.

I'm not even sure what you're saying. Nobody, ever said a Jeep would handle like a BMW M3. I've owned both and they are absolutely not built for the same purpose.

Sweet! Me too! E46 here!

The difference in feel between 31s to 33s made absolutely no change on my LJ. As I said, the vehicle handles and dives the same with the exception of gas mileage.

I have a completely stock 2004 Wrangler Unlimited. I am not satisfied with the look of the stock tire size, so I am looking to get 33's and lift but don't know what all I would need in addition to the tires (body lift, suspension, etc...). I don't do much off-roading, if any at all, so I would like a setup that would be better rated for on road use. It doesn't have to be anything nice, just something so I can get 33's put on. Any advice on what all I need?
You’ll get a range of advice, as you can already see from the posts. On bs off-road is not really a difference IMHO. One change begets another. You’re changing angles and clearances. Think about it this way. You run a 29” tire now. You want to go to a 33” tire. To keep the same ride quality, how much overall lift do you think you need?

33-29 = 4”

now, you could do that with a suspension lift only or a combo of suspension and body lift.

or, you can make compromises which you will feel in the road.

then there’s the gearing. That’s a lot of rolling mass. It could be a dog. Lots of things to consider going to 33’s.

31’s are way less drama.

Reactions: LONGJP2
Sweet! Me too! E46 here!

The difference in feel between 31s to 33s made absolutely no change on my LJ. As I said, the vehicle handles and dives the same with the exception of gas mileage.

E36 M345 here! In terms of the Jeep, you're driving a 6 speed. Drive an automatic, with the same setup, and you'll experience something different!

I think I might have written that wrong or interpreted it wrong: you originally told me to not waste my time with the 33's and just go with 32's because I don't do much off-roading. I was confused at first because I didn't realize that a bigger tire such as a 33" would lead to more changes in gearing, braking, suspension, etc. What I was saying now is that I understand your original response about just getting 32's because I wont be doing much off-roading, and it wont significantly effect my everyday drivability. I completely understand that no jeep will ever drive like a bmw

Reactions: Irun
It doesn't have to be anything nice, just something so I can get 33's put on.

Yes I understand this, but for what I am wanting to spend on this it would make more sense to do what you originally said and go with the 32's.

So are you just wanting more tire, than your 30s, or do you really want 33s?

Is there a certain look you are wanting? (Height, air gap between the tops of the tires and flares...)

I think I might have written that wrong or interpreted it wrong: you originally told me to not waste my time with the 33's and just go with 32's because I don't do much off-roading. I was confused at first because I didn't realize that a bigger tire such as a 33" would lead to more changes in gearing, braking, suspension, etc. What I was saying now is that I understand your original response about just getting 32's because I wont be doing much off-roading, and it wont significantly effect my everyday drivability. I completely understand that no jeep will ever drive like a bmw

Maybe a more succinct way to say it is the best Jeeps I've driven on a daily basis are those as close to stock as possible. Off-road is a different story! :)

You’ll get a range of advice, as you can already see from the posts. On bs off-road is not really a difference IMHO. One change begets another. You’re changing angles and clearances. Think about it this way. You run a 29” tire now. You want to go to a 33” tire. To keep the same ride quality, how much overall lift do you think you need?

33-29 = 4”

now, you could do that with a suspension lift only or a combo of suspension and body lift.

or, you can make compromises which you will feel in the road.

then there’s the gearing. That’s a lot of rolling mass. It could be a dog. Lots of things to consider going to 33’s.

31’s are way less drama.
Thank you so much, this is much more clear than many responses.

I am currently running 30's, but i just thought that they looked too small and wanted a bigger look.

So you would suggest just going to a 31" tire? Do you think a 32" would have as much "drama", or would it still be okay?

So are you just wanting more tire, than your 30s, or do you really want 33s?

Is there a certain look you are wanting? (Height, air gap between the tops of the tires and flares...)
I dont think I'm necessarily going for a certain look, but I just wanted to "buff up" the look of the stock lj.

The current tires (30") with no lift just seem a little bit small for the lj.

I have just seen many pictures of lj's with 33's and I thought they looked better and more buffed up than stock.

I created a file on my computer and started to google image search the combinations I was interested in, taking into account, how the vehicle was stanced, stock flares, Rubicon flares, pocket flares, to try and see what tires size, what lift size, etc., that most closely looked how I wanted mine to look.