3rd Gear Stall

Russell Taylor

I need help! My 2000 Wrangler cuts off intermittently. It's always under these conditions- If I'm on an incline (doesn't have to be steep), and then shift from 2nd to 3rd, right after letting the clutch out my Jeep jerks a little then the engine cuts off. Sometimes the check engine light comes on, but as soon as I crank the engine the light has gone out. Could this be a problem with my 3rd gear? By that I mean my transmission. No one I have talked to has ever heard of this before.

Have you replaced any sensors? This sounds very much like a loose connection causing the ASD to kill the engine.

Have you replaced any sensors? This sounds very much like a loose connection causing the ASD to kill the engine.
So far I have only replaced the cam shaft position sensor. My next step is the crank shaft position sensor. But these aren't cheap and I am not one that likes to throw money at a problem until it goes away.

Could you possibly be catching 3rd while the synchro for 2nd is still engaged? Only uphill? No on level at all? Does it matter how fast you are when you shift? Is it every time or once in a while when going uphill? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a bit more info.

Could you possibly be catching 3rd while the synchro for 2nd is still engaged? Only uphill? No on level at all? Does it matter how fast you are when you shift? Is it every time or once in a while when going uphill? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a bit more info.
That makes sense about the synchro. It is not every time and it seems like shifting at low rpm's is better but could be a coincidence since it's intermittent. And one time only, it happened just a few seconds after I was in 3rd. It's normally before the clutch is fully engaged.

So far I have only replaced the cam shaft position sensor. My next step is the crank shaft position sensor. But these aren't cheap and I am not one that likes to throw money at a problem until it goes away.

Did you use a real Mopar sensor?

Disconnect and reconnect the sensor. Double check the connection at the plug. Make sure you did the job correctly.

Did you use a real Mopar sensor?

Disconnect and reconnect the sensor. Double check the connection at the plug. Make sure you did the job correctly.
Yes, Mopar sensor. I have already unplugged and reconnected. After I check for other loose or dirty connectors, I'll bite the bullet and get the crank shaft sensor.

Check the wiring loom too. You may have a short that is acting up in that certain position. Pull and inspect. Push/pull/and shake it with the engine running and see if you can get it to act up.

Reactions: jjvw
Check the wiring loom too. You may have a short that is acting up in that certain position. Pull and inspect. Push/pull/and shake it with the engine running and see if you can get it to act up.
Which wiring loom are you talking about? I was actually hoping that it's something like that. Wasn't real sure where to begin though.

Which wiring loom are you talking about? I was actually hoping that it's something like that. Wasn't real sure where to begin though.

The one that runs along the firewall. Its actually prone to chaffing and can eventually wear thru to bare copper. It should pigtail off too to the PCM and PDC

Update- the stalling got worse. Engine would stop when idling in the driveway. Ended up changing out the OPDA, runs fine now. Only took a little over two years to fix...

Update- the stalling got worse. Engine would stop when idling in the driveway. Ended up changing out the OPDA, runs fine now. Only took a little over two years to fix...