4.0 Engine Ticking and Hard Starting

Bochad01

I have an 02 with the 4.0L it was recently combined with another TJ of the same year. Before it was combined, it ran like a brand new engine, no weird noises. But after we combined them, I noticed what seemed like a "ticking or knock" It seems to be coming from the battery side of the engine about half way down, you can feel it tapping if you touch the Cam position sensor, and hear it for about 5 minutes or so at all speeds. After it warms up you don't hear it much at idle, give it a little gas and it ticks away. Just wondering what may be causing this. I also have an issue when I try to start it first thing in the morning where it seems like it's starving for fuel the first time it gets cranked over, and wont start. Second time you turn the key it fires right up. Already replaced the Injectors, Coil pack, spark Plugs, fuel pump, and replaced the Throttle position sensor. When It doesn't fire right up, it also resets my trip, check engine light, and radio. Any input on what it might be would be greatly appreciated!

The sensor needs to be replaced mine did the exact same thing until the shaft wobbled so bad it tore the plastic sensor apart and blew out the little magnet

Reactions: Chris
I have the exact same situation developing with my 2003 Rubicon. When cold, as in hasn't run in awhile because there's no cold currently in TX, the 1st time it's hard to start. The 2nd twist of the key it fires right up with some ticking noise from the passenger side of the engine. I took the sensor off, as Mike suggested, and the part under the plastic camshaft postion sensor wiggles around a bit. Im no mechanic, i just try to fix stuff. Research refers to the "shaft" ( huh huh) going down into the engine as a camshaft synchronizer. I think this is what he was referring to. As I'm looking to fix the same problem, would someone with more knowledge please let us know. Also, is this one of those parts where Mopar part is necessary, or will aftermarket be suitable? Thanks. I hope I replied correctly. I havent been in a Jeep forum since I had a YJ in the 90s. Thanks.

I have the exact same situation developing with my 2003 Rubicon. When cold, as in hasn't run in awhile because there's no cold currently in TX, the 1st time it's hard to start. The 2nd twist of the key it fires right up with some ticking noise from the passenger side of the engine. I took the sensor off, as Mike suggested, and the part under the plastic camshaft postion sensor wiggles around a bit. Im no mechanic, i just try to fix stuff. Research refers to the "shaft" ( huh huh) going down into the engine as a camshaft synchronizer. I think this is what he was referring to. As I'm looking to fix the same problem, would someone with more knowledge please let us know. Also, is this one of those parts where Mopar part is necessary, or will aftermarket be suitable? Thanks. I hope I replied correctly. I havent been in a Jeep forum since I had a YJ in the 90s. Thanks.
I replaced the Cam Position Sensor, about a month ago, ticking went away for about an hour then it returned a lot louder, after I moved up to Ohio. Interesting that we have a similar color Jeep, Amber Fires' are hard to come across.

Yes take off the cap and wiggle it around if theres alot of side to side play it need to be replaced its fairly easy to change
I have Replaced the Cam Position Sensor in the past month or so, the ticking went away for about an hour, but slowly came back. After I moved from VA to OH it got about 3X louder. It's weird to me though, because my Jeep is a "Frankenstein Jeep" between two 02 4.0L's, one of which is a Sport the other an X which isn't too different, the Sport having about 218K miles on it, and the X having 89K miles on it. We were told that the 89K engine, trans, tub, interior, and computer/electrical were kept in the Jeep, the frame, Axles, and certain engine components (alternator, intake, and Misc Stuff) were from the Sport. In regards to why I find it weird, the 89K X's Engine did not tick before it was transferred over, the clutch was buttery smooth, and the gear box was tight, like a low miles TJ should feel. After the lift and body transfer it gained the tick, the hard start, and a heavy clutch, but the clutch wasn't replaced (replacing the clutch this weekend, not because it needs to be, only because the TOB is going bad, and would rather know I have a New Clutch rather than guessing if I have anything left). I have heard that the 4.0L are known to tick but it has become very excessive. Could I have a bad Lifter or flat spot on my Camshaft? Because the ticking is coming from the left side down by the Cam.