4.0 fan clutch findings

Jcrubicon

Over the years I’ve experimented with and unfortunately had to change multiple fan clutches in my 06 Tj. I’ve noticed that Hayden no longer makes clutch’s in the USA all of there’s are coming out of Mexico. Needless to say the quality is what it used to be and I’m on my 3rd failed Hayden 1, 2771 and 2, 2791s all of with permanently locked on.
Not sure if I’m extremely unlucky or if Hayden’s are garbage now… today I decided to check out if I could get one at the local AutoZone that would provide the 2791 severe duty while hopefully being a better quality part. I crossed it with duralast 922791 and was pleasantly surprised to see made in USA stamped into the fan clutch and a large zinc coated main nut, it was also marked usmw “us motor works”I’m feeling hopeful that this one will last. After install it quickly disengaged and seem to work well time will tell if it’s quality part and oem equivalent.

We had a big thread going for awhile testing fan clutches. I had a USMW fan clutch in my Toyota before it went out. I replaced it with a factory unit and I cannot tell the difference which means it operated same as my current OEM one. I’ll probably go with one of those when my Mopar one bites the dust.

Heck, I might just swap it anyways and put the Mopar on the shelf just in case.

Following this, was just gonna be ordering a water pump along with a Hayden 2771 fan clutch but might be holding off now.
Anybody else having problems with the Haydens?

Following this, was just gonna be ordering a water pump along with a Hayden 2771 fan clutch but might be holding off now.
Anybody else having problems with the Haydens?

I just installed one - so no problems yet. Talk to me in 10 years...

I like the thing - the running temp is definitely lower. I also haven't had a heat soak issue since installation, so perhaps its keeping under hood temps lower as it runs more than the old one. *shrug* Dunno - its one of those theories that can never be proven, just dis-proven. So that's the extent of my 3 month ownership experience...

The prior debates on what manufacturers to use in replacement of OEM parts is one of the reasons for my continued search of the NET for OEM Mopar parts such as the fan clutch to stock my spare parts cabinet.

Amazon says the 22160 is not a fit for 2006. Is Amazon incorrect?

Rockauto suggested it and it fit my '06.

Screenshot_20231026-144547.png

PXL_20231026_232915172.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't driven mine yet but the US Motor Works I installed appeared to be good quality and definitely spins more easily than Hayden. I have the older 4 bolt style mounting. I picked up a NOS Mopar from Collins Bros the other day, so eventually I will do comparisons between it and USMW. I did not like Hayden at all, it felt locked up super hard all the time. Ridiculous amounts of noise and I could feel the drag in the acceleration.

I chunked my barely used Hayden in the trash where it belonged.

Reactions: James9100
I chunked my barely used Hayden in the trash where it belonged.

That may be where mine end up. They've been in my general TJ parts post on Craigslist for 6 weeks without a nibble. I thought about posting it in the sale section here but it just feels weird to try much harder to sell something that I don't believe is the correct part.

The 2791 was on for a year and the 2771 for maybe 30 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: machoheadgames
So I was curious what the part # was on my clutch from auto zone turns out it is usmw 22159 after doing some digging it appears to be the severe duty option for our jeeps. so 22160=2771 while 22159=2791 for the Hayden equivalents it also it compatible with larger 2500 and 3500 trucks. It my not be listed as a direct replacement but I can confirm it fit and works perfectly similarly to the 2791 option with the exception of the usmw actually functioning properly 🤣

IMG_0612.jpeg

IMG_0613.jpeg

22159 notice it appears to be slightly larger in diameter

IMG_0614.jpeg

22160 appears slightly smaller

Reactions: freedom_in_4low