4.0 freeze plugs

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
I have pulled the intake and exhaust off to replace the freeze plugs, As you can see they are leaking. I popped 3 of them out and for the life of me cannot get the new ones back in. I got one in that is adjacent to the motor mount. I used a huge prybar and a socket to get it started then hammered it in the rest of the way, but I cannot get any of the other ones started I got two blood blisters trying to start them with a socket. After a couple hours and multiple tries, I am coming here to see of there is someone that has a trick.

My problem is there is not enough room between the block and the steering to get a good swing. I looked up videos and all I could find was cherokees. and one video suggested putting the plug in the freezer of which I tried, but it didn't make any difference. Another video showed a guy just pushing it in with his fingers to get it started, but there is no way that is happening. Maybe I don't have the finger strength, I don't know but I could not get it started by hand.

Running out of ideas, would sure love to hear some success stories about now....

IMG-0782.JPG

The socket and the freezing trick is the way I've always done 'em, as well. Are these steel freeze plugs? I ask, as I wonder if brass plugs might install easier. I assume that you cleaned up the holes in the block really good, as well. I wonder if a little dish soap on the plugs would help with the install, without compromising the grip needed to keep 'em in?

Reactions: ac_
The socket and the freezing trick is the way I've always done 'em, as well. Are these steel freeze plugs? I ask, as I wonder if brass plugs might install easier. I assume that you cleaned up the holes in the block really good, as well. I wonder if a little dish soap on the plugs would help with the install, without compromising the grip needed to keep 'em in?

The originals are steal, and I am replacing them with brass. I cleaned the holes really good with scotchbrite. I was using shelac as a sealer, so soap and water won't do, but if that is something that has worked for you, i am opened minded enough to try that. but I won't be able to use any sealant if I do.

Reactions: Squatch
I've never used a sealant on my freeze plugs, and never had an issue with leakage in not doing so. The soap trick might work for you. Another thing is to try using a slightly smaller diameter socket than one that is actually almost as large as the plug (of course, I have no idea what size socket you're using, so the point might be moot). The idea behind this is that on impacting the plug, it might draw the edges in ever so slightly. Just a thought. And as silly as it might seem, you might try switching the plugs. I've had one that wouldn't go in one hole, but went into another quite handily. Just an ever so slight difference in diameter? Planets aligned just right? The power of prayer? (shrug) All I know is, it worked!

So, after researching this issue online, I discovered that the use of some sort of sealant is highly recommended. I guess I just must have been really lucky that I never encountered a leak when I installed mine without it. In the future, though, I guess I will use the sealant. You're never too old to learn...;)

I've never used a sealant on my freeze plugs, and never had an issue with leakage in not doing so. The soap trick might work for you. Another thing is to try using a slightly smaller diameter socket than one that is actually almost as large as the plug (of course, I have no idea what size socket you're using, so the point might be moot). The idea behind this is that on impacting the plug, it might draw the edges in ever so slightly. Just a thought. And as silly as it might seem, you might try switching the plugs. I've had one that wouldn't go in one hole, but went into another quite handily. Just an ever so slight difference in diameter? Planets aligned just right? The power of prayer? (shrug) All I know is, it worked!

I am using the Brass Mellings. Maybe I will run to Napa tomorrow and see if there is a different brand.

I am using all different sized sockets. I have one that fit the edge, I have one that just fits inside and even a smaller one that gave some border. I like your idea of trying a different brand.

I also don't have a freeze plug tool, so I am going to probably buy one of those tomorrow too. It might be easier if I can hit it at an angle.

Reactions: JMT and Squatch
So, after researching this issue online, I discovered that the use of some sort of sealant is highly recommended. I guess I just must have been really lucky that I never encountered a leak when I installed mine without it. In the future, though, I guess I will use the sealant. You're never too old to learn...;)
Yeah I am using the shelac and it is nasty stuff. It is really sticky and hard to get off of your fingers. I have always used sealer but usually I use anarobic sealer. but I am not used to having to change them in the car. This is not fun!

Get some rest @ac_ sleep on it. I hope the tool or a different brand works. You really hit a hard spot, and deep in the night.

Reactions: ac_ and lowranger
Update, I think all of the advice here was solid.

I think giving up and getting some sleep was really the answer to tell you the truth but here is how I resolved this and how my day went.

I woke up and watched an episode of Chasing Monsters on Netfilx. It is a fun show about a dude running around trying to catch the monster fish. If you like fishing shows and you have Netflix, I highly recommend it. Then I got ready and headed out to NAPA to buy a freeze plug tool, but they didn't have one, so I went to a few more places and nobody had one. I ended up at Harbor freight and I bought a baby 4lb sledge and a stepping stool and came home and gave another crack at it. The baby sledge is awesome, twice the pound with half the swing. Just what the dr ordered. So if you are in the same predicament as me, this is how I solved it.

IMG-0783.JPG

IMG-0784.JPG

Great news! Glad you got it. I have that same step from HF, love that step and use it a lot, now I just need to pick up the baby 4lb sledge and I'm ready. Hope I don't need it. Good Job!

Great news! Glad you got it. I have that same step from HF, love that step and use it a lot, now I just need to pick up the baby 4lb sledge and I'm ready. Hope I don't need it. Good Job!

I am happy it turned out this way, because I was starting to plan on removing the engine and I really didn't want to do that.

I am happy it turned out this way, because I was starting to plan on removing the engine and I really didn't want to do that.
You need to get that thing running again. You are missing out on some good weather.
20190120_130147.jpg

You need to get that thing running again. You are missing out on some good weather.
View attachment 73369
Is that 4 peaks?

yeah I do need to get it running but it is held hostage in my garage for another week anyway. I am going to replace all of the water components too. I will probably finish it up this next weekend. Then I will be able to drive it out of the garage on the new driveway.

It has been 75 degrees, and I am sad I am driving my 3/4 ton truck right now.