4.0 has trouble starting after it's been running for a while

Moomps

Supporting Member
My 2000 TJ 4.0L starts up fine in the morning or if it's been setting for a few hours. Always starts on the first crank. It's when I run it for a while and stop at a store or anything that it gets turned off for a few minutes or an hour or so. when I try and start the Jeep then, it usually takes more than one attempt. It almost always starts on the second try.
It's been doing this since I bought the TJ last summer. Could it still be the fuel pump/pressure regulator?

I'd check the fuel pressure, yes.

However, it sounds like it could also be the infamous injector heat soak problem that has plagued many a 4.0.

Reactions: tr21triton
I'd check the fuel pressure, yes.

However, it sounds like it could also be the infamous injector heat soak problem that has plagued many a 4.0.

Sure sounds like that is the problem! It doesn't run rough after setting for a while, but it does have problems starting, I wish there was an "easy" fix to the issue, but the few YouTube videos I've watched sound like somewhat of a PAIN.... I'll have to check the fuel pressure too, just to rule that problem out.

Reactions: Chris