4.0 I6 block cutaway drawing?

jamespwsullivan

MJ, TJ, XJ (R.I.P.)
Supporting Member
Does anyone have or know of a source for a cutaway drawing or something similar that shows the location / paths of the coolant passages through the block? Thanks

This is all I could find.
untitled3-jpg.jpg

I was going to post to say that that is an interesting drawing and may be of a 4.0 but that's definitely NOT an I6.

After looking at it closer I now think it's the first V9 I've ever seen.

It was on another Jeep forum. The guy said it was in his 02' FSM. My Google skills are fading with age. :cry:

Does anyone have or know of a source for a cutaway drawing or something similar that shows the location / paths of the coolant passages through the block? Thanks

In the event no one has a drawing, is there a specific piece of information you're looking for that someone might be able to help with?

In the event no one has a drawing, is there a specific piece of information you're looking for that someone might be able to help with?

Long story, but I'm trying to confirm what the cooling passages below the cylinders look like. I'm pretty sure everything is interconnected. I have a motor that was full of rust in the cooling passages. We've gotten it pretty clean (the block) using a combination of air and water (coolant cleaning gun) but the motor sat so long in south Florida that we're working to get as much out of the block as possible before installing a freshly rebuilt head.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Long story, but I'm trying to confirm what the cooling passages below the cylinders look like. I'm pretty sure everything is interconnected. I have a motor that was full of rust in the cooling passages. We've gotten it pretty clean (the block) using a combination of air and water (coolant cleaning gun) but the motor sat so long in south Florida that we're working to get as much out of the block as possible before installing a freshly rebuilt head.

Ah. I'm not sure there is anything below the cylinders. At least that's been my impression, that the "floor" of the jacket surrounding the cylinder walls is the lowest point.

Reactions: RINC

Ah. I'm not sure there is anything below the cylinders. At least that's been my impression, that the "floor" of the jacket surrounding the cylinder walls is the lowest point.

I think that's right. The situation is that we have rebuilt the head and want to do our best to make sure the block's coolant passages are as clean as possible. We have used a coolant passage cleaning gun (combining air pressure and water), a boroscope to view the insides of the passages as far as we can see, magnets to pull out an abundance of metal filings, and now we are seeing that the sides of the passages in the block that go down the cylinders' sides are no longer black with flaky bits but are reddish as if all the crud has been cleaned out. The unknown is the bottoms of those passages, especially the ones near the rear of the block (between cylinders 4 & 5 and 5 & 6.)
Some of you are probably thinking why go to all this trouble? Wouldn't it have been easier to buy along block and swap it in? Well, probably. But that's not where we are now.
And did I mention that this is a 2003 TJ block and head swapped into a 1987 MJ? LOL So there are lots of other fun challenges along the way too. FWIW my daily driver is a 2005 LJ with a 4.0L of course.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Clean it out the best you can and flush the block by opening the drain valve on the block once you have it all together. Keep flushing with water until it runs clear. Run it a bit with just good water for a couple of hours rinse and flush again if you capture it you might be surprised what comes out. After coolant is in flush once a week until clear and that's the best you can do.