4.0 water pump: Mopar or Flowkooler?

TJBrad04

Looking for a quality replacement for my 2004 4.0. Not necessarily looking for high performance or anything like that, just a quality built piece that won't leak after a few years.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Following along as well, getting ready to swap mine. Popular consensus is go with the Mopar.

Mopar, not even a question about it. Those FlowKooler ones are crap from all the stories I've heard.

I was in the same boat when I bought my 99 last year with a coolant leak... From all the reviews it seemed that Mopar was really the way to go. I figure my Jeep went 110k and nearly a decade on the factory pump, so why not stick with it?

I figure my Jeep went 110k and nearly a decade on the factory pump, so why not stick with it?

EXACTLY. This should be the end of the discussion right here.

It behooves me why anyone would want to swap a part out for something "questionable", when the factory part lasted that long.

It's like guys who cheap out with aftermarket radiators. Why? The stock one lasts over 100k miles, why take your chances on anything else?

Sorry, just a little rant ;)

For what it's worth, there is nothing "high performance" whatsoever about the FlowKooler water pump. It's nothing but a marketing gimmick.

Thanks for all the input!

The Flowkooler is $115 and the Mopar is around $190 so just wanted to get everyone's opinion.

The Flowkooler is $115 and the Mopar is around $190 so just wanted to get everyone's opinion.
Mopar. That $75 difference won't even be noticed or remembered after a short length of time.

Last edited:
Yes, with Mopar it's buy once cry once. I've heard of those FlowKooler impellers breaking apart at less than 20k miles.

Check Amazon prices too. For my 05 I found one on there for around $145.

Picked up a Mopar pump from my local dealer. Definitely a very nice piece!

Here it is next to the aftermarket junk I used last time. Not sure what brand it was.... Probably whatever was in stock at the time from the closest parts store.

Obviously the impeller is completely different and the casting was much nicer as well.
4e54a204fe55bdac51f781f6d03b1583.jpg
ce269327b9840a386af62969b7313d3e.jpg

I am posting the Gates pump I just received so there is a pictorial of how it compares to a new Mopar unit. It will come down to the seal and bearing. There are pn's and casting stamps on this thing. Does anyone have a clean new one that they can pull numbers off of?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg