4:1 Rubicon transfer case swap?

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
Hello everyone, I currently have a non rubicon model Tj with a np231 transfer case with the ratio of 2.7:1. I would like to get a 4:1 rubicon case, IIRC it is the nvg241OR (please correct me if im wrong). 4 low is not low enough with 33s and 3:73s, I do plan on going to 4:56s in the future though, although I may go to 35s one day as I get older and i think 4:56s with a 4:1 case would be very nice with my 5 speed. I am sure many of you have done this, anything i should look out for? Any tips are much appreciated, thanks. FYI i do not plan on going with an atlas since they are very pricey.

I previously owned a '98 XJ 4.0L w/AX-15, 4.56s and 33's; that had a TeraLow 4:1 and provided a crawl ratio that was great in 1st and 2nd gear. Really enjoyed the 4:1 with the manual transmission.
Several years ago Teraflex stopped offering the TeraLow kit for the NP231; not sure why.....

I previously owned a '98 XJ 4.0L w/AX-15, 4.56s and 33's; that had a TeraLow 4:1 and provided a crawl ratio that was great in 1st and 2nd gear. Really enjoyed the 4:1 with the manual transmission.
Several years ago Teraflex stopped offering the TeraLow kit for the NP231; not sure why.....
the teralow kits apparently had a bad problem of grenading when you got into the higher rpms, they just straight up started breaking.

Reactions: CharlesHS
the teralow kits apparently had a bad problem of grenading when you got into the higher rpms, they just straight up started breaking.

It is indeed a very bad design, talk to Advanced Adapters about just how bad it is. The engineer there said the moment he took one apart he knew they were going to be failing left and right. I spoke to him and he had nothing but really, really bad stuff to say.

Reactions: D M
Hello everyone, I currently have a non rubicon model Tj with a np231 transfer case with the ratio of 2.7:1. I would like to get a 4:1 rubicon case, IIRC it is the nvg241OR (please correct me if im wrong). 4 low is not low enough with 33s and 3:73s, I do plan on going to 4:56s in the future though, although I may go to 35s one day as I get older and i think 4:56s with a 4:1 case would be very nice with my 5 speed. I am sure many of you have done this, anything i should look out for? Any tips are much appreciated, thanks. FYI i do not plan on going with an atlas since they are very pricey.
I looked at the asking prices for Rubi 4:1 transfer cases and decided that for close to the same money a Rubicrawler was the way to go. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but will soon.
https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...r-auxillary-crawl-box-for-42rle-transmission/

I thought you could have the TC re-geared lower is this not the case ? Also to the OP if you are thinking you will go to 35's later you may want to deeper in your gears

I thought you could have the TC re-geared lower is this not the case ? Also to the OP if you are thinking you will go to 35's later you may want to deeper in your gears
I am well aware, just deciding on 4:88 and 4:56s ATM, because i dont know for sure if I do. although i wouldnt mind a 4:1 ratio compared to the current 2.7:1

I am well aware, just deciding on 4:88 and 4:56s ATM, because i dont know for sure if I do. although i wouldnt mind a 4:1 ratio compared to the current 2.7:1
Oh don't get me wrong I love having my 4:1 I have also driven my buddy's TJ with a 2.7:1 on the Rubicon Trail and there is a huge difference. Now if you a lot of beach driving you may not want the 4:1 but for rocky trails it's a great advantage.

Oh don't get me wrong I love having my 4:1 I have also driven my buddy's TJ with a 2.7:1 on the Rubicon Trail and there is a huge difference. Now if you a lot of beach driving you may not want the 4:1 but for rocky trails it's a great advantage.
Ive done some beach driving, but nothing in 4 low, usually 4H and IIRC 4h doesnt change its only the 4L that changes correct? I was just in Johnson Valley and with 33s and 3:73s I was hating life on the rocks. Im curious to know how much of a difference 4:1 will make though. I like playing in the rocks the most anyways.

I have the 4:1, 33's, NV3550, and 4.10's. 4-Low is pretty slow. Its almost too low for most of the wheeling I do in Michigan. I use second and third mostly. It is very nice in the rocks though.

Have you priced out a NV241OR? For what I've seen, they go for about 2k, used. I'd rather buy the Atlas at 3k for a brand new t-case, vs putting a used NV241OR in.

Reactions: Alex01
I'mwaiting for Black Friday, IIRC thats the only time the Atlas go on sale. That front dig is soooo awesome on trails. From watching my buddy wheel in front of me he uses the dig a lot he has more mobility in his full width 60s/40s than i do on my 44s/37s.

I'mwaiting for Black Friday, IIRC thats the only time the Atlas go on sale. That front dig is soooo awesome on trails. From watching my buddy wheel in front of me he uses the dig a lot he has more mobility in his full width 60s/40s than i do on my 44s/37s.

Talk to a reseller. They can sell them cheaper than Black Friday prices. ;)

I have the 4:1, 33's, NV3550, and 4.10's. 4-Low is pretty slow. Its almost too low for most of the wheeling I do in Michigan. I use second and third mostly. It is very nice in the rocks though.

Have you priced out a NV241OR? For what I've seen, they go for about 2k, used. I'd rather buy the Atlas at 3k for a brand new t-case, vs putting a used NV241OR in.
That is the exact reason why I ended up going with the atlas over swapping in a NP241. An np241 could be found for around $1,300 in my area if you're willing to wait and jump on it fast, but most people wanted around 1,500-1,800 for units with 150,000 miles + on them. Once you factor in a rebuild the Atlas became a lot more attractive. I believe I paid around 2,800 including tax/shipping and around another $200 on shortening/lengthening the driveshafts.