4 cylinder 98 SE dropping from 31x10.50 to 30x9.50

Tampa Florida TJ

98 2.5L. It's been a good vehicle but it's getting tired. I've had it tuned up. The entire Jeep is worth less than $5K so I don't want to spend the money on a regear. Has anyone dropped down from 31x10.50 KOs to 30x9.50s and had a discernable performance improvement? I hate to go all the way down to P235s and get the bulldog on a skateboard look. I rarely go offroad, and then just improved trails. It's a weekend street/beach jeep.

A cheaper option would be to look for someone selling a pair of axles geared 4.10. The swap is fairly simple and can be done in a garage or driveway.

I can't imagine that the downgrade in tire size will make a significant difference.

Reactions: EJD and Chris
A cheaper option would be to look for someone selling a pair of axles geared 4.10. The swap is fairly simple and can be done in a garage or driveway.

I can't imagine that the downgrade in tire size will make a significant difference.
It is likely to have them already being a SE. Going down to a 30x9.50 will give you a bit more oomph but don't expect miracles. If the 2.5 is tired, it is tired.

I run 255/55r17 (about 32s) tires on my auto 2.5L with the 3.73s and don't mind it. My exhaust was rusted out so I upgraded to a full flowmaster exhaust and it made a good difference but I haven't done much of a tune up and plan on doing road trips soon and I'm fine with it. But that's just me going to that tire I also can't see that much of a difference but it'l give you something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run 255/55r17 (about 32s) tires on my auto 2.5L with the 3.73s and don't mind it. My exhaust was rusted out so I upgraded to a full flowmaster exhaust and it made a good difference but I haven't done much of a tune up and plan on doing road trips soon and I'm fine with it. But that's just me going to that tire I also can't see that much of a difference but it'l give you something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the OP is feeling the anemic performance on 31s, it would be worse going to a 32".

98 2.5L. It's been a good vehicle but it's getting tired. I've had it tuned up. The entire Jeep is worth less than $5K so I don't want to spend the money on a regear. Has anyone dropped down from 31x10.50 KOs to 30x9.50s and had a discernable performance improvement? I hate to go all the way down to P235s and get the bulldog on a skateboard look. I rarely go offroad, and then just improved trails. It's a weekend street/beach jeep.
how many miles are on the 2.5?

Reactions: KCsTJ and Nicholas
thanks I have 107,000 on my 2.5L Just wondering what mileage is considered "tired" per original poster as mine seems fine. recently changed plugs and wires, really no difference in power or idle. Running Michelin LTX 235/75/R15

Reactions: YakTJ
I just got my 97 SE about a month ago, and it came with 31x10.5 Duratracs. Besides being deafening, they were really heavy and you could tell the weight and diameter was an issue. I sold them right away and got a set of 30x9.5 Cooper AT3's. Much quieter, plus there is a bit more pep.

I bot my 97 with 152k and a week later did the following:
To refresh the motor, pull the head off and have a complete valve job done. Cost me $200.00.
While the head is in the shop, replace the H20 pump and cooling components.
Do the work yourself, it's easier than working on a 4.0 :)
Now it's back to being reliable and peppy

Reactions: lindsey97