4 tire rotation pattern?

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
i tried to search quick and couldn’t find the best pattern to rotate my 2000 sport tires. Can’t recall what I did last time , but wanted to do it correct this time. I have it jacked and ready to switch :)Thanks

image.jpg

Found my Haines book says front back. Different than my car but ok . Other opinionswelcome

This may not be top notch advice but anyway.....
Being that i rotate my own tires, it's much easier with 2 floor jacks to rotate front to back, back to front.
It's the only way I've ever did it and not once have i criss crossed.
So obviously i don't rotate my spare as far as my Jeep is concerned.

Reactions: Kathy
Cross-rotations have been the recommended pattern for tires including radials for many years now. Only the first generation of radial tires had a problem with switching sides but that was fixed many years ago with better manufacturing methods.

This is the pattern I use which is recommended on pretty much all the manufacturer websites like BFG and Goodyear.

LF to LR
RF to RR
LR to Spare
Spare to RF
RR to LF

I didn’t and won’t be rotating in the spare at this point because it’s not a matching tire as far as brand . So with the 4 tire
Cross-rotations have been the recommended pattern for tires including radials for many years now. Only the first generation of radial tires had a problem with switching sides but that was fixed many years ago with better manufacturing methods.

This is the pattern I use which is recommended on pretty much all the manufacturer websites like BFG and Goodyear.

LF to LR
RF to RR
LR to Spare
Spare to RF
RR to LF
what would the recommendation be for a 4 tire rotation? Thanks ! I’m not going to switch it now but will rotate differently at my next rotation which I’m reading every 5;000 miles? Or do you think I should go and switch it now ( pain in the ass with the air wrench working intermittently)

This may not be top notch advice but anyway.....
Being that i rotate my own tires, it's much easier with 2 floor jacks to rotate front to back, back to front.
It's the only way I've ever did it and not once have i criss crossed.
So obviously i don't rotate my spare as far as my Jeep is concerned.
Yes, I used floor jacks on the front and the jack in the back. I can’t wait until we get the car lift. That was more work then it needed to be.

I use A) Rearward Cross for 4-tire rotation every 5,000 miles with bi-directional M/T's with one jack and two jack stands. This is good for rear and 4WD vehicles, like our TJ's!

I didn’t and won’t be rotating in the spare at this point because it’s not a matching tire as far as brand . So with the 4 tire

what would the recommendation be for a 4 tire rotation? Thanks !
You can just delete the two extra steps involving the spare. Move the LR to the RF and RR to the LF. Or use the slightly different pattern on the left in JMT's illustration which works just as well. :)

Last edited:
I love a good visual ! Thank you! I just did front to back. Do you think I should switch it now or will it be ok until next rotation?
If it’s not too much trouble, switch the rears so your following the pattern on the left side of the diagram. Follow the same pattern every time you rotate and you’ll be GTG!

If it’s not too much trouble, switch the rears so your following the pattern on the left side of the diagram. Follow the same pattern every time you rotate and you’ll be GTG!
Well, I decided to get Dave an extra present for x mas and running to Lowe’s now for a new impact wrench. I’ll switch the tires after we open presents

Reactions: Jack Brown and JMT
Well, I decided to get Dave an extra present for x mas and running to Lowe’s now for a new impact wrench. I’ll switch the tires after we open presents
Nice present! That will make it a quick job

LF to LR
RF to RR
LR to Spare
Spare to RF
RR to LF
Hi Jerry, not sure if you’ll see this but I’m wondering, I’ve got 35” General Grabber x3 mud terrain tires, I’m about to do a rotation for the first time with the new Grabbers, will the cross rotation method work with the tread pattern? Perhaps you’re not aware of the exact tires, if so sorry to bother ya!

Hi Jerry, not sure if you’ll see this but I’m wondering, I’ve got 35” General Grabber x3 mud terrain tires, I’m about to do a rotation for the first time with the new Grabbers, will the cross rotation method work with the tread pattern? Perhaps you’re not aware of the exact tires, if so sorry to bother ya!
That's a radial tire so it'll hold up fine to cross-rotations. It's bias-belted tires that should not be cross-rotated.

Reactions: Reidminer