42RLE, 32s and 5.13 gears?

Im running 35s with 4.10s, 42RLE. Am I missing something?
Yep like half of the potential performance your Jeep is capable of, not to mention the significantly better fuel economy you'd gain with the more appropriate ratio 5.13. I'd say 5.38 as I regeared to two years ago but your front Dana 30 axle tops out at 5.13. Regearing both axles to 5.13 would give you a dramatic improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob5589
When I got mine re-geared and Truetracked (I just made up a word), I looked for a shop that seemed to know their shit, and price was secondary. Now I wouldn't have paid a lot more than the norm, but a hundred or two more was worth it. My gears are dead silent, no leaks, everything is fine. I sure would have hated fighting with some hacks, that while cheaper, didn't know what they were doing.

Anytime you hear a shop try to tell you cheap gears will make more noise than the brand they are trying to sell..... RUN!
If they make noise they aren't set up correctly and will eat each other to the point of failure. If they tell you they can do it in one day.... RUN! It is possible but it takes 2 experienced techs working on each end at the same time.
Always ask ahead of time to keep your old bearings and seals. You just want to make sure new ones actually got installed. Typical hacks don't change the carrier bearings and leave the front axle seals. Ive also witnessed the outer pinion bear and pinion seal being left in and reused. The factory pinion shim RARELY gets reused in TJ sets, it's to thick, that should be in the pile as well. I went through almost 3 years in my own shop, after about 8 years alone in another location, with a new partner and had employees I literally had to start babysitting because of this kind of stuff going on. Those guys are still making their own messes, I took my name and moved on.