42RLE groaning / buzzing noise going from park to neutral and neutral to drive

It's better for an automatic transmission to be slightly overfilled than slightly underfilled. My 42RLE stays overfilled by something like at least a half-quart which stops its ATF pickup from sucking in air when climbing on really steep terrain.

They're not like engines that can't be overfilled since engines have spinning crankshafts just above the oil pan that would churn the oil up like whipped cream.
I believe the service manual originally called for 3 quarts with a filter change and this was later revised to 4 quarts. When I first serviced the transmission 5.5 quarts drained. Since then I’ve always added 5 when draining the pan and 5.5-6 quarts when also replacing the filter.

I believe the service manual originally called for 3 quarts with a filter change and this was later revised to 4 quarts. When I first serviced the transmission 5.5 quarts drained. Since then I’ve always added 5 when draining the pan and 5.5-6 quarts when also replacing the filter.
I never think of any specific number of quarts to add, I add until it's just over the full/hot line when measured with the engine running. Adding a set number of quarts after specific jobs has always gotten me into trouble.

@Jerry Bransford this is not an issue with ATF levels.

Hmmm. Yeah, you can only hear mine inside the cab and you have to be listening for it. Sounds like a servo almost.

Edit: IIRC it only happens when shifting into reverse. I will verify when I drive it again.

Servo sound is a very apt description. @pcoplin has seen mine in person and it is loud enough to get your attention. That's why I am a bit paranoid that something wonky is going on.