42RLE overdrive question

Hooser

Hey guys, kina new here but I just wanted to be sure that my Tj is ok, I have to disable my od anytime I drive at lower speeds. Basically I have to turn it off until I hit the highway. If I don't I get a brief RPM spike between 2nd and 3rd. I did a lot of reading this and from what I can tell this might be normal but I want to be sure. Some details: I'm running and automatic 2003 Rubicon with 30 inch tires. Seems odd that I have to constantly monitor the od. Oh and its been around 8 degrees here for the past week in case temp has anything to do with it.

This is 100% normal. Mine does it as well. The correct gear ratio can definitely help to alleviate it to some degree.

My 04 42RLE, if I’m easy on the gas it really lags 40-55 and once it goes OD I got nothing. My O/D off button is my mosted used button. If I get on the gas good and moderately it shifts fine all the way to 55 mph then I goose it. In the mountains the OD stays off on up hill climbs

Hey guys, kina new here but I just wanted to be sure that my Tj is ok, I have to disable my od anytime I drive at lower speeds. Basically I have to turn it off until I hit the highway. If I don't I get a brief RPM spike between 2nd and 3rd. I did a lot of reading this and from what I can tell this might be normal but I want to be sure. Some details: I'm running and automatic 2003 Rubicon with 30 inch tires. Seems odd that I have to constantly monitor the od. Oh and its been around 8 degrees here for the past week in case temp has anything to do with it.
The 42RLE transmission you and I share is notorious for shifting into Overdrive at too low of a speed and at too low of an rpm.
i have a 2002 Wrangler, 33” tires, 3” lift. I am pulling a small 1500lbs trailer, 6x12 enclosed. I added a transmission oil cooler, but I have no OD cut off switch in my dash, am I over looking it?

2002 Wrangler, auto tranny. Where is my transmission overdrive disable switch?
The 4-speed Overdrive automatic transmission didn't come out until 2003. Yours is the 3-speed without an Overdrive which is actually the more desirable and more reliable choice of the two.

Last edited:
The 4-speed Overdrive automatic transmission didn't come out until 2003. Yours is the 3-speed without an Overdrive which is actually the more desirable and more reliable choice of the two.
Evidently someone replaced my 3 speed with the newer 4 speed overdrive transmission. Am I correct to assume there is a way to install a override switch to disable it when pulling my trailer?

Evidently someone replaced my 3 speed with the newer 4 speed overdrive transmission. Am I correct to assume there is a way to install a override switch to disable it when pulling my trailer?
Nope it's the 3-speed. What you're mistaking for a 4th gear is actually the torque converter locking up at cruising speed which drops the rpms 150 or so depending on the speed being driven.

That torque converter locking up once you reach cruising speed fools a lot of people into thinking it's shifting gears again... it's not.

Last edited:
Nope it's the 3-speed. What you're mistaking for a 4th gear is actually the torque converter locking up at cruising speed which drops the rpms 150 or so depending on the speed being driven.

That torque converter locking up once you reach cruising speed fools a lot of people into thinking it's shifting gears again... it's not.
i sure are