Indiana 42RLE replacement in Indianapolis

Haanz

Long time listener. First time caller…
Supporting Member
Hi guys,

I’m looking to replace / rebuild the 42RLE in my ‘06. The original has made it to 219,000, so no complaints here, but a recent transmission overheating/burning of fluid/smoke & fluid everywhere highway incident and codes (P0700, P0740, P0218, P0846) have led a local shop to suggest installing a remanufactured one….to the lively tune of $6300 installed. Does this sound absurd? It does to me.

I’m in Indianapolis, IN and was hoping someone can recommend a shop here.

Furthermore, I’m open buying one online, etc., and was looking for a recommendation on who/where to get one from if I go that route.

Thanks!

Your local shop quote seems way high. I replaced '04 42RLE in 2018 with a rebuilt from Transmission Authority. Ordered it through Rock Auto. After core charge refund it was $1455 including freight. Paid a Toyota service manager $500 + fluid cost to install it.

I’m assuming this is the one from ATS Diesel I saw mentioned by @psrivats in another thread. I won’t look there any further. Seems like it’s become rather notorious. Yikes!

Yep! I don't have any experience with them personally but I trust Sri enough to never recommend ATS Diesel to anyone.

I'd honestly just look for a good local shop that can rebuild yours. There isn't much you can do to these transmissions to improve them aside from replacing them with something different altogether.

I’m assuming this is the one from ATS Diesel I saw mentioned by @psrivats in another thread. I won’t look there any further. Seems like it’s become rather notorious. Yikes!

If you read google/forum reviews it is 50-50 for ATS diesel. It all depends on who does the work and how much they care. I think they focus more on big diesel builds. Atleast with local options you don't have to yank out the trans, ship to them, wait your turn again for a repair if there is an issue. So recommend you try and find a GOOD local option (because there are lot of shitty shops out there). Talk to people and mechanics you trust and see if there is a shop you can work with locally.

Yep! I don't have any experience with them personally but I trust Sri enough to never recommend ATS Diesel to anyone.

I'd honestly just look for a good local shop that can rebuild yours. There isn't much you can do to these transmissions to improve them aside from replacing them with something different altogether.
Got it concerning ATS. Thanks!

Yeah, I’ve found a shop and they’ll do either a rebuild (which means “send it out to the rebuild guy”) or install a reman unit that I bring in. The rebuild guy warranties for 12mos. Best Buy Transmissions will do 5 years. The guys at the shop recommended remanufactured.

Reactions: Chris
Update:

I am going with a local shop, pfm Care & Truck Care Center, and am waiting on a remanufactured unit from Jasper Engines & Transmissions out of Jasper, IN.

www.pfmautomotive.com
www.jasperengines.com

Costs quoted are as follows:

Labor: $783.36 - 5.76hrs
Fluid: $69.24 - 12units (I will be supplying them MOPAR ATF+4)
Transmission: $3015.00 - 3yr/100K warranty (Jasper quoted me the same price directly so I know the shop isn't marking it up)

The unit has been delayed a bit. I started the process on May 9th, 2022. Originally it was due in from Jasper on May 31st, but that has been pushed back now until 6.10.22. I'll update again when it is installed and back on the road.

In the meantime I've dialed in my cooling system - did the whole dash & HVAC box removal to replaced an aftermarket heater core (O'Reilly's garbage Murray brand) that had spit out plastic turbulators which made their way into my block and jambed up the water pump and t-stat causing the major overheating malfunction that started me down this adventure. Through this forum I did luck out and find an OEM Valeo heater core in near new condition for $30.00! Thanks forum!! Also replaced water pump, t-stat, hoses, etc.

I added a Hayden 679 transmission cooler and will have this hooked up to run inline downstream of the radiator once the new transmission is in.

If anyone is interested, I've attached Jasper's breakdown of how they update the Chrysler 42RLE in their remanufacturing process.

Attachments

• Jasper Engines & Transmissions_CHRY_42RLE_UPDATES.pdf
    109.3 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Irun