Remanufactured Transmission Recommendations?

Salty_Dalty

I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with the 42RLE auto transmission. I am looking for good reputable websites to purchase a remanufactured transmission from. Had it diagnosed by a reliable local transmission shop and they quoted me about $4,200 to rebuild it. I was trying to weigh all my options and see where others have gotten a reman from. For reference I have codes P0700, P0740, and P0734 active and it refuses to shift sometimes after its warmed up and been driven a bit. Local transmission shop told me the fluid was burnt and black, there was metal debris in the pan, and the torque converter is functioning correctly, so they deemed it an internal issue and recommended rebuilding it. Thank you all in advance!

That quote is really high, I had the one in my WJ, which is basically the same trans done for right at 2500.00

I called another shop that is extremely reliable and I have done a bunch of work with them in the past and they told me it would be $4,100ish for them to do it. (They are extremely backed up and try to stay away from auto transmissions, so that's why I didn't take it to them for diagnostic.) So seems to be normal going price in my area I assume.

I bought one from StreetSmart transmissions. $2000 and they paid the freight both ways. I used a shop down the street they recommended.

Came out to $2600 installed. That was in Sep 2018. I did pay the shop extra to do transmission cooling lines at the same time.

I also had that shop install my 5.13 gear sets a couple months later.

I am a happy camper.

Not sure that the transmission shop still has 42RL transmissions. You'd have to check website and/or call.

Maybe this will help evaluating quotes.

With my recent and not so recent experience with transmission shops I'd say rebuild it yourself using YouTube, the FSM and other forum posts.

-Mac

I had a Bullripper 42RLE with a billet torque converter remanufactured and freighted to a local shop who did the install. Standard warranty is 12 months iirc.

I believe the total cost installed was around $3500

Bullripper is the online sales division for transmission exchange co in Portland OR

0B34AC20-6888-45B7-BADC-3216DC675FAF.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a Bullripper 42RLE with a billet torque converter remanufactured and freighted to a local shop who did the install. Standard warranty is 12 months iirc.

I believe the total cost installed was around $3500

Bullripper is the online sales division for transmission exchange co in Portland OR

View attachment 413063

Thanks for posting that. I'm looking into replacing the transmission in my '90 Dodge Cummins 2wd, as it's finally starting to show its age with 420,000+ miles on it. I'll be contacting these guys this summer! (y)

Reactions: MikeE024