42RLE Service Question

blueweb

Hello everyone,

I just recently got a 2004 TJ, my first Jeep. I love it so far. It has 130,000 miles on it, 4.0L, 2.5" lift with 31s, stock gearing at 3.73. Everything so far is functioning just fine. The steering is pretty loose (I don't know if that is a Jeep thing). There are three or four places that the Jeep leaking from. The rear main seal, rear differential pinion seal, and somewhere in the transmission. I know the rear main and pinion seals are relatively easy to fix, and I already looked online for the video on how to fix them.

My question would be about the automatic transmission. On the driver side of the transmission, there are two metal pipes that run from the transmission to the bottom of the radiator. It looks to me like someone cut the pipes and bandaged it with rubber tubing. It is difficult for me to diagnose the problem because there is not a whole of information about the cooling line (if that is what they are called). I believe this is the part number: 55037624AF. I just don't really understand why I am seeing hose clamps, that does not look stock to me. From the pictures I posted, does it look like the lines needing to be replaced?

My other question would be about getting a transmission cooler. I read about it on here that how a cooler can prevent the transmission from going out, and prolonging the life of the transmission. Since the Jeep is at 130,000 miles, is it still worth getting the cooler? There is no history on the carfax that the transmission (nor the engine) were repaired/replaced. The head gasket it and radiator were replaced though.

If there is anything else I should do to the Jeep, please let me know.

Thanks

IMG-0368.JPG

IMG-0371.JPG

Driver Side.jpg

Those hoses aren't stock and shouldn't be there. The fact that they use worm drive gears are proof of that. The factory seldom uses work drive clamps to my knowledge.

Anyways, my best guess is that those lines are leaking because worm drive clamps have a tendency to put uneven pressure on the hose, causing it to leak in certain areas (one more reason I never recommend them for cooling system hoses either).

You are correct. 55037624AF is indeed the part number for those return lines (which go to the factory transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator.

Even with 130k miles, it's definitely worth getting an aftermarket transmission cooler, as heat is the number one killer of automatic transmissions. The most popular choice for the 42RLE is the Derale 20561 direct fit transmission cooler, meant specially for the 42RLE. In my opinion, it's the best transmission cooler on the market for these transmissions.

Reactions: blueweb