42RLE Takeoff Shudder

Allen0jason

2006 LJ AT

New solenoid, transmission has been flushed, new Mopar trans filter and +4 fluid.

Once Jeep is at operating temperature, Jeep will shutter on take off from dead. No problems at initial startup and driving. Tried a new pcm/tcm from Wrangler fix, problem still persists. At operating temperature, trans fluid check shows just over top hot hole, I know a little extra transmission fluid isn't going to hurt.

Need brainstorm ideas on possible cause and solution.

Feels like torque converter, although I don't know why it would only happen when it's warm.

Feels like torque converter, although I don't know why it would only happen when it's warm.

That's what I'm wondering as well but it's almost at the point where I either just get everything rebuilt or I leave it as is. Cuz I've thrown a lot of money at the trans already trying to get this issue resolved. Including a full flush and new solenoid install super recently.

well stop paying for work you can do yourself! :)

TC is a pain, since you have to drop the trans to replace it. And the TC itself is ~$175 plus the core charge. And you lose a bunch of fluid which adds to the expense. I would love to say I could make the drive to cowtown and help you do it but I don't know when I would have time.

And then of course I'm just guessing at the diagnosis.

well stop paying for work you can do yourself! :)

TC is a pain, since you have to drop the trans to replace it. And the TC itself is ~$175 plus the core charge. And you lose a bunch of fluid which adds to the expense. I would love to say I could make the drive to cowtown and help you do it but I don't know when I would have time.

And then of course I'm just guessing at the diagnosis.

If I trusted myself to do it, I would. Unfortunately I learned a good while back I shouldn't be touching Transmissions. Almost everything else I can do but I have screwed up two Transmissions trying to work on them myself. I'm currently down in Burleson, if your DFW located give me a price that's not Beyond outrageous and we can seriously have a talk. I'll even buy you a 30 rack.

I love working on transmissions but I don’t know that there’s a number that makes me want to lower & raise one. 🤣

Keystone light and you have a deal. Or just a 12 pack of Code Red.

1, I'll bring you a 30 rack and a case of Code Red, or would you prefer a Mountain Dew variety pack that includes code red and Baja Blast.

2, pulling the transmission itself normally isn't a problem as long as you've got a good 3 ton jack. Like I said I'm sure I could probably do it but I don't trust myself because I've had bad experiences and learned I shouldn't be touching Transmissions. But if you're willing to take a look at it maybe we can put something together and possibly get a diagnosis and go from there.

I love working on transmissions but I don’t know that there’s a number that makes me want to lower & raise one. 🤣

Keystone light and you have a deal. Or just a 12 pack of Code Red.

I respect you a lot more on the Code Red note.

I hate seeing people spend money on their TJ when they don’t have to, but by telling you to replace your TC I’m not any better. Some quick searches say it could be pinion angle or trans mount. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I respect you a lot more on the Code Red note.

😎

I hate seeing people spend money on their TJ when they don’t have to, but by telling you to replace your TC I’m not any better. Some quick searches say it could be pinion angle or trans mount. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

😎

Send me a PM and maybe we can really make something happen, if you're willing

Oh shiz Burleson? I was thinking Bedford. That's a haul for sure. If you can get closer to figuring out your root cause, maybe I can carve out some time. I'm not the only person in the dee eff dub though.