42RLE vs 32RH

Peter Panagakos

TJ Enthusiast
I've seen more than a few posts here that say the older 32RH automatic trans was better than the 42RLE which is what my 2006 TJ has. Is it the weird over drive in the 42rle that makes it not as good? I've developed a habit of turning the OD off as soon as I start the Jeep up no matter where or how fast I'm going to drive it. I don't have any problems with my trans since I put in the Wrangler Fix PCM to fix the hard shifting I had. Are there other things in the 42rle that are not so good?
Thanks

Reactions: chad
I think the biggest issue is the electronic controls in the 42re vs the hydraulic controls of the 32rh. I believe they are both based on the TF 904. The 42re has a pretty deep od in it (.69 I think) so it really cuts the rpm down when it and the TC lock up. Probably a .8 od would have been more appropriate.

Strength wise, I think they are comparable when they are both operating correctly. The electric controls of the 42re ( and other Chrysler re trans ) can be finicky at times.

That pretty much sums it up, hydraulic control vs electric solenoid control and the overdrive of the four speed. If you drive your 42re with the overdrive off it's the same gear ratios as the 32rh. Shifts might feel slightly different because of how they're activated, but for the most part you are mimicking the three speed 32rh.

I think that's right. The shifts do feel a bit different with the OD cancelled, but I can't really describe in what way. Still shifts smooth. I really don't like the OD, and I almost never drive it on the freeway, but a good number of roads in new Mexico where the average speed is around 40 to 45 or 50 mph. The OD puts the RPM too low as soon it's going about 45. On mine it will go down to 1200 to 1300 rpm. With the OD off it stays up to or over 2000. That feels better to me.