42RLE vs LS Swap

Carter6

This question may seem redundant, but I'll ask it anyways.

My father in law recently passed away, and I'm in the process of buying his jeep from his wife. I want to let her drive it since it was his pride and joy (aside from his family of course). The only downside is, she doesn't know how to drive stick and has no intention of learning how to do so. He always talked about doing the LS swap like most do if/when his 4.0 blew up as it's sitting at 191,xxx with many more to go.

Anyways, in an ideal world, what would be the preferred way to go? LS + 4L60E swap or keep the 4.0 and do a 42RLE swap?

The Jeep in question is the green TJ, next to my orange JK
IMG_0761.jpeg

What size tires/axles? I'm guessing an LS would blow them up pretty quickly. A 42rle swap would mean gearing to 5.38s at least

The main challenge with the 42RLE swap will be sourcing the parts needed. Ideally, you'd want to find someone with a comparable year that wants to switch from an auto to manual, and who is willing to work with you on a one-for-one swap.

Reactions: rasband and Rickyd
If I had a manual and wanted an auto I'd consider a V8 route. Especially if you don't have a mid arm or other mods to fight for space with.

If you do have someone that wants to swap theirs the opposite way then the 42RLE is the obvious choice.

You're going to need at least one of the following either way; good donor vehicle, access to some good pull a part type place or get lucky with the marketplace/ebay type options.

Depending on the V8 choice, if you aren't tying the V8 into the jeep electronics and are willing to swap the gauges you can eliminate some hassle for a price. Sell your existing drivetrain to offset costs.

IMO swapping to an auto just to have an auto is a lot of work without any other gain. Especially if you already have a 200k mile engine.

Last edited:
Cheaper to teach grandma to drive a standard. Maybe he bought a standard because he knew she couldn't drive it??

The wife thinks the only reason I drive her everywhere is because I love to drive, I let her think that is the only reason.

This question may seem redundant, but I'll ask it anyways.

My father in law recently passed away, and I'm in the process of buying his jeep from his wife. I want to let her drive it since it was his pride and joy (aside from his family of course). The only downside is, she doesn't know how to drive stick and has no intention of learning how to do so. He always talked about doing the LS swap like most do if/when his 4.0 blew up as it's sitting at 191,xxx with many more to go.

Anyways, in an ideal world, what would be the preferred way to go? LS + 4L60E swap or keep the 4.0 and do a 42RLE swap?

The Jeep in question is the green TJ, next to my orange JK
View attachment 475477

Give it a few months. A swap just to let her drive it sounds like a fading desire. It will be your Jeep. Doesn't sound like she wants to drive it since she's selling it to you.