4WD high vs. 4WD low: What should display on the dash?

Jayramble

Supporting Member
Situation - When I engage 4WD High - the indicator icon on the Dash display lights up (turns on) but when I engage 4WD Low the icon remains the same.

When I removed the dash cluster recently I noticed an empty light position for full time 4WD; as I don't have cruise control I moved that globe across to the Full Time 4WD globe position, but nothing additional illuminates when I engage Low 4WD - yes the globes work (I checked)

As my TJ was a mess from multiple Pervious Owners (POs), I don't know whether:
a - the dash cluster has been changed (my cluster CEL icon looks early model with the words Check Engine rather than an icon)
b - one of my transfer case switches needs fixing
c - the 1999 model only came with one switch

Any thoughts most welcome

John

4 low does not have a separate dash indicator from 4 high.

The Full Time indicator is a product of the instrument cluster being the same part used in the Cherokee (XJ). The XJ, when equipped with the optional NP242 transfer case, was capable of either full-time or part-time four wheel drive. The Wrangler was never offered with this option.

Full-time four wheel drive works similarly to all wheel drive, with an unlocked center differential allowing for differences in wheel speeds between the front and rear axles. This allowed the driver to engage full-time mode even on dry pavement without risk of damage to the drivetrain.

Last edited:
Situation - When I engage 4WD High - the indicator icon on the Dash display lights up (turns on) but when I engage 4WD Low the icon remains the same.

When I removed the dash cluster recently I noticed an empty light position for full time 4WD; as I don't have cruise control I moved that globe across to the Full Time 4WD globe position, but nothing additional illuminates when I engage Low 4WD - yes the globes work (I checked)

As my TJ was a mess from multiple Pervious Owners (POs), I don't know whether:
a - the dash cluster has been changed (my cluster CEL icon looks early model with the words Check Engine rather than an icon)
b - one of my transfer case switches needs fixing
c - the 1999 model only came with one switch

Any thoughts most welcome

John

Like your 1999 model, my 1998 Jeep has the words CHECK ENGINE on the cluster that lights up as apposed to the silly icon that came on later models. I am not sure when they made that change.